Portable amp ($<200) for Shure E4?
May 7, 2007 at 2:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Shurado

100+ Head-Fier
Hello, I am new (if my post count didn't give that away) and I am looking to buy my first amp. I've spent hours reading the forum trying to decide which amp will work for me and I think I've come down to Doctor Xin's amps, specifically the Supermini for the reason that it gives a better sound stage than other amps but I still have reservations.

I want to make sure I made the right choice for my first. I've looked into the cheaper amps such as the PA2V2 and its equivalents but I want more than subtle changes. I read about the Tomahawk but I can't see myself paying more than two hundred fifty dollars unless it'll be a desktop amp. I don't know what others out there are suited for IEMs so it'd be appreciated if you recommend another. I've combed through several posts about other amps but none of them really gave me much information if they work well with the E4.

I am going to use the amp with a Sansa e200 player which with the latest firmware and fiddling with its EQ settings doesn't sound too bad at all and occasionally my old Zen Micro. Still, I have to set the volume on the Sansa player to two bars next to muting it so it's already pretty darn loud already without an amp.

Your input is much appreciated, though burning my wallet, not so much.
wink.gif

May 7, 2007 at 4:59 PM Post #2 of 14
With E4s I think it is unlikely that any amp will have more the subtle changes.

Some around here claim differently, but I have noticed little to no improvement with an amp, primarily the Bithead, although I have used others briefly.

May 7, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 14
I noticed a huge improvement with my Yamaha home theater amp! I use the E4's. I'll post back and tell you how the Tomahawk is when I get it!

May 8, 2007 at 8:09 PM Post #5 of 14
Thanks for the responses. I suppose I'll stick with the Supermini or micro. At least, they'll have a great resale value if I don't find it to my liking.
etysmile.gif

May 8, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shurado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the responses. I suppose I'll stick with the Supermini or micro. At least, they'll have a great resale value if I don't find it to my liking.
etysmile.gif

You will love them!

May 9, 2007 at 6:11 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Otaku-Cyber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
minibox-D / c&c xo / Xtra X1 pro / STORM STB4 / Xin supermacro

I have to admit, this isn't helpful.
frown.gif

May 9, 2007 at 6:27 PM Post #10 of 14
I noticed on the order page that there are drop-in modules. If I order them from Xin does he add them on or do I have to?
I noticed those same pieces can be had at other on-line retailers for much less so is the extra cost for the labor?

As well as, what interconnect cable should I get? I'll probably do a search later when I have more time but I'd like to know which ones are good for the Xin amp.

May 10, 2007 at 8:41 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wildcard30 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Check out ALO for cables.

Yikes, those prices are waay to much for me to pay for a cable.

I guess I'll try and DIM then.

May 11, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #14 of 14
Thanks for the lead, Wildcard. I'll be sure to pony up a message.

Very interesting price!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back