Porta Pro or Senn PX100 or PX200
Apr 14, 2003 at 11:05 PM Post #3 of 21
Yeaay! I make up 100 % I am all ! I am KING ! Whoo Hoo !

Apr 14, 2003 at 11:45 PM Post #4 of 21
HI,

For what it's worth....I have had the porta pros for about two years.....use them with a tiny mp3 player........sound is excellent, and plenty loud......without any amp ...

also use them for computer gaming......makes the game more fun than through speakers...(and my comp speakers are quite good, quad set up with good sub)

Very comfortable and compact.............

Never tried the others you mentioned however......

CM

Apr 15, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #6 of 21
My PX100s sound _outstanding_ on my iRiver ChromeX (which is 7mW+7mW).

Apr 15, 2003 at 12:50 AM Post #7 of 21
hmm, i really like my px200's paired w/an ipod but with the 50% off coupon koss offers at their site for the portapros (do a forum search to find this coupon, i dont know it), they're VERY hard to beat for just $25.

Apr 15, 2003 at 1:41 AM Post #8 of 21
I'm gonna guess that those who voted for the Porta Pros, don't own or have not heard the PX 200's ? I also own the Porta Pros, and think that the 200's OWN them on account of the PP's tendency to exert an excessive amount of ooglie bass which really masks the trebble and some mid.

Though sources may differ in this. The one thing I will say though is that the PP's sound really great with the iPod. I was in the 57th street Comp USA a while ago, and was checking out the iPod, with it's crappy ear buds and songs that were encoded at a low bitrate, when the sales-dude came up to me and asked If I wanted to listen to his personel one...I was like helz yeah, that'd be cool. So I did..and still wasn't impressed TILL...I said hey..can I plug my cans in here man ? He was like..Uh..sure, if that makes you feel better..lol. I did. IT rocked some sweet ass ! I seriously couldn't believe that he was happy with the stock earbuds..or didn't know enough to replace them ..I mean, you 'd think that someone in that line of work would be somewhat hip to that...No ?

Apr 15, 2003 at 5:38 AM Post #9 of 21
Any more opinions?

I'm interested in the PX100 or 200. I currently have the PortaPro's and I like how they sound. Will I be happy with the 200s or should I just stick the the PP's?

Apr 15, 2003 at 5:43 AM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by FAAD
Any more opinions?

I'm interested in the PX100 or 200. I currently have the PortaPro's and I like how they sound. Will I be happy with the 200s or should I just stick the the PP's?

How portable do you need the phones to be? If not especially, and you already have have the PortaPro's, you find the money better spent picking up the Senn HD497's for about $5-$10 more. Course you may already have that area covered also.

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:17 AM Post #11 of 21
I usually like them to be portable, but am willing to go with a larger set if they sound comparable or better than PPs. I'm not into that flat/all highs sound in headphones. I like things to be fairly balanced and I feel the PPs are decent at this.

Quote:

Originally posted by blessingx
How portable do you need the phones to be? If not especially, and you already have have the PortaPro's, you find the money better spent picking up the Senn HD497's for about $5-$10 more. Course you may already have that area covered also.

Apr 15, 2003 at 6:32 AM Post #13 of 21
Don't want to hijack this thread, but to respond, I think the 497's are a major step up from the Portapros, though some disagree. As for highs it's probably better to test them out as some do have a concern here with that. They are available in a lot of electronic stores and last I check Amazon had them for $55 shipped. I was testing the 497's to replace the PX200's I could rarely get placed right for good sound and isolation. I could certainly use the 497's as portables (using the v6's now which are about the same size), but some feel they're too big.

Also the Grado SR-40's that are discontinued can be found around (example- http://www.hcmaudio.com/comp.asp?compID=178 ), which are also rumored to be a step up. I've never heard them, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back