Porta Corda vs. Headsave New Classic(long)
Dec 5, 2004 at 4:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gimmieshelter31

Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have lurked this forum seemingly forever trying to get educated on this great thing called head-fi.
I've always enjoyed good sounding music and have discovered that I cannot afford an audiophile system. That being the case , I'm trying to get close on a short budget.
Started with Senn HD 580 using the Jack from my Yamaha Rxv 630 receiver.... Not too bad.Ten recently I bought Grado SR 225's. Also nice.
I know both of these cans can do much more and I considered that fact for any future incremental upgrades.
My question is quality wise which is a better product, the Porta Corda MKll
available in the group buy or the New Headsave classic from Norm?
Source is currently a Yamaha cdc 585 changer (the best I can do for awhile).
My thoughts are that the Porta Corda is Battery and dc powered , I can experience crossfeed and with the 120 ohm adapter I can use for Senns or Grado and class a ability I guess is a plus(?)
Is there a compelling reason to get the headsave Classic instead? as the price is pretty close. Thank You in advance for your time.

Lastly ,I love classic rock Grunge Dylan/Joni mitchell type Csn and Judas Priest Eagles etc.

Dec 5, 2004 at 3:56 PM Post #2 of 6
Correct me if I am wrong, but the PortaCoda 2 is designed for portability and the classic is more for home use. Sound wise, I don’t know. I ordered my classic last week, but is not shipped yet. The waiting,.....

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:18 PM Post #3 of 6
What I would assume (but is not necessarily true) is that the Classic would be better, SQ-wise, than the PCII. Given its price and the fact that it's strictly a home-based unit, it had better be. Now, the PCII does have crossfeed and portability though, and I know I've read a review somewhere that it's a good step up from the go-vibe...

All things considered, I'd get a PCII. It's just more versatile.

Dec 5, 2004 at 6:36 PM Post #4 of 6
i'd get the PC2 as well.. i wouldn't comment on how well built cordas are but you can ask current users.. but i'm rather sure that their answer is that their great. the PC2 can be run off a wallwart as well, biased to class A and be a great home amplifier in case you didn't know.

with the current group buy going on, its a steal to jump in and get one!

Dec 5, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #6 of 6
My Porta Corda II is excellent (missed the group buy though
mad.gif
), and it also does a pretty decent job of powering my Senn 650s (although not close to the quality of my HA-2).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back