Porta Corda USB vs. Total Bithead vs...
Feb 16, 2006 at 5:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

never2clever

New Head-Fier
I am looking for a setup to be driven by my laptop. Portability is not an issue (this is only for my office).

Because I am somewhat lazy, I would prefer a 1 box solution (DAC & Amp in one). And my budget is limited.

Do people have an opinion on the Headroom Total Bithead vs. the Meier Porta Corda USB?

One specific question: I'd like to be able to drive a pair of high impedence Sennheisers (I have a pair of HD580s, but I might upgrade). I'm not sure that the TBH has the oomph - is the Porta Corda any better? (I am willing to plug it in).

How much better is an Aria?

Is there some other thing that I'm overlooking?

Thanks!

May 4, 2006 at 11:40 PM Post #2 of 17
Bump.
I was going to post virtually the same question.

I am looking to set up a rig at my office using my desktop as the source. I'm considering the total bithead or the corda usb. I will then be in the market for some closed cans or maybe some iems. I'd bring my w5000s to work, but they probably look a tad too expensive
smily_headphones1.gif

Any/all suggestions welcome as well as opinions on corda vs. bithead.

Cheers!

May 4, 2006 at 11:53 PM Post #3 of 17
I have no experience with the PORTA CORDA USB, but I do own (and use every single day) the latest version of the HeadRoom Total BitHead, so I can say something about the latter.

If you get your hands on the latest Total BitHead (which, I'm quite certain, is the only version HeadRoom is shipping anyway), then you should be pleased with how well it drives the HD580 (based on how it drives my HD600 and HD650). It has two gain settings, so make sure, for the HD580/600/650 that it's in high-gain mode.

Long story short, the latest version of the Total BitHead easily drives the HD580/600/650.

May 5, 2006 at 12:23 AM Post #4 of 17
I too notice that the Total Bithead (From USB) drive my HD600s well, but it doesn't get all that loud. Mind you I don't want earsplitting loud, but I took a measurement and it said that it peaked at 70db. That's loud enough for quiet listening, but for portable use or when it gets even a little noisy it's not loud enough. I personally wish it would have enough power to push it up to maybe 80db peaks.

EDIT: And I've looked for a long time about information about the Porta CORDA... there isn't much. But I would venture I guess to say that since they just revamped the Total Bithead it is using the newest technologies.

May 5, 2006 at 1:48 AM Post #5 of 17
70 dB? My laptop's USB drives it a lot louder than that with my HD600/650. If you're using Kmixer in Windows, do you have the volume settings all the way up?

How about when using the line in? Can it drive your HD600 louder than when using USB? If so, can it drive it a lot louder from line in?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
I too notice that the Total Bithead (From USB) drive my HD600s well, but it doesn't get all that loud. Mind you I don't want earsplitting loud, but I took a measurement and it said that it peaked at 70db. That's loud enough for quiet listening, but for portable use or when it gets even a little noisy it's not loud enough. I personally wish it would have enough power to push it up to maybe 80db peaks.

EDIT: And I've looked for a long time about information about the Porta CORDA... there isn't much. But I would venture I guess to say that since they just revamped the Total Bithead it is using the newest technologies.

May 5, 2006 at 2:46 AM Post #6 of 17
This unit intrigues me. I'm in the market for a portable first and foremost but having the ability to connect it to my usb on the laptop at the office would be a nice bonus. Yet, I used to own one of the early TAH and it really wasn't a solid performer. I'm sure the Bithead has been upgraded and is a far different device than past editions but I wonder how it would compare to something like a Portaphile? PIMETA?

The stack was very high on my list but the MicroAmp is a bit larger than I was comfortable with as a portable. Is the Bithead a nice step up from the TAH or is it more of a leap?

May 5, 2006 at 3:09 AM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by jude
70 dB? My laptop's USB drives it a lot louder than that with my HD600/650. If you're using Kmixer in Windows, do you have the volume settings all the way up?

How about when using the line in? Can it drive your HD600 louder than when using USB? If so, can it drive it a lot louder from line in?

That's... odd. I'm using foobar. Volume all the way up. Just plugging it into USB. Actually now that you mention this I'll have to try plugging it into my Indigo DJ to see if it can be pushed louder...

EDIT 5: Wow... thanks you all. That was so simple, yet so difficult for me to figure out...

May 5, 2006 at 4:17 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Naris
Now if only I can get the USB to work...

Maybe this will help...

When you connect Bithead to the USB for the first time it defaults at 50% volume (Windows Kmixer volume not Foobar volume - Foobar volume works within what is allowed by Windows)

Go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices and set the volume of "USB Codec" to 100%

Filip

May 5, 2006 at 4:32 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by fwojciec
Maybe this will help...

When you connect Bithead to the USB for the first time it defaults at 50% volume (Windows Kmixer volume not Foobar volume - Foobar volume works within what is allowed by Windows)

Go to Control Panel -> Sounds and Audio Devices and set the volume of "USB Codec" to 100%

Filip

What he said.

Make sure that all applicable volume controls (should be two in Kmixer) are all the way up.

May 5, 2006 at 4:35 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
This unit intrigues me. I'm in the market for a portable first and foremost but having the ability to connect it to my usb on the laptop at the office would be a nice bonus....

If you don't mind the way it looks (I don't), you can stick the Velcro coins to the back of your laptop's screen, so that the Total BitHead moves wherever you take your laptop (of course, I detach the Total BitHead when I put my laptop in its case), and it also saves a bit of desk space (if you saw my desks you'd understand why this is something that actually matters to me).

Also, USB connectivity eliminates the high noise floor from the analog headphone outs / line outs that all of the laptops I've owned suffered from.

Quote:

Originally Posted by KenW
....Yet, I used to own one of the early TAH and it really wasn't a solid performer. I'm sure the Bithead has been upgraded and is a far different device than past editions but I wonder how it would compare to something like a Portaphile? PIMETA?

The stack was very high on my list but the MicroAmp is a bit larger than I was comfortable with as a portable. Is the Bithead a nice step up from the TAH or is it more of a leap?

If the Total AirHead you used to own was a couple of generations back -- the one that looked sort of like a radar detector -- then you're in for a big surprise, as the latest generation is a rather giant improvement over that one, and at least two generations removed. I have one of those, too.

If your Total AirHead is the previous generation (with the outer casing that looks like the current generation), then you're still in for a nice treat. The previous generation was an improvement over the radar-detector-looking generation that preceded it. The current generation's performance was stepped up further with a new chipset, improved crossfeed, and variable (two-setting) gain. As for how it compares to a Portaphile or PIMETA, I can't answer that question, as I've not lived with either, only hearing a PIMETA briefly at a Meet. I can say, however, that I preferred my previous generation Total AirHead to a META42 I was using before it (and was even turned onto that generation of Total AirHead by the guy who made my META42). And, again, this latest generation is a significant improvement over that one. (Hope that wasn't too confusing.)

May 5, 2006 at 4:45 AM Post #11 of 17
Thanks, Jude. My TAH was, indeed, from way back and looked like that radar detector. Guess things have changed since then. As the E500's have been delayed until June, I suppose I've still got some time to research and perhaps there are some new offerings that will hit between now and then. Thanks for the feedback.

May 5, 2006 at 7:20 AM Post #12 of 17
I had the previous Bithead Total vs Porta Corda III USB and prefer the latter. The Porta had a more balanced, natural and relaxed presentation.

The Bithead was a bit bright and somewhat of a mild bass-boost feel to it. Considering that might make it better for sennheisers but too bright for anything else. I actively disliked it with any grados.

From what I understand the new bithead is quite different so I'm not going to guess how much of the above applies to it.

May 5, 2006 at 10:49 AM Post #13 of 17
is it worth it to buy the tah or is it better to buy a dedicated dac and a dedicated amp? budget will have to expand somewhat for the latter choice. which would give a better bang for the bucks?

May 5, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by never2clever
How much better is an Aria?

I have the previous version (same case) Total Airhead and the Aria is far, far better IMO. Using the same source (home rig in sig) there is really no comparison. Granted they've made some recent changes and improved SQ but I'd be astonished if it put it into the Aria's league.

I haven't heard the TBH so I don't know how the DACs compare. The Aria's DAC is better than my Mac's soundcard but I think there are likely better DACs in an affordable price range. Then again I see the DAC on the Aria as a bonus since the amp portion of the Aria is easily worth the money by itself IMO.

Ant

May 5, 2006 at 6:43 PM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by manhattanproj
is it worth it to buy the tah or is it better to buy a dedicated dac and a dedicated amp? budget will have to expand somewhat for the latter choice. which would give a better bang for the bucks?

Going separate will give you so much more flexibility and sound quality if portability is not the priority. You can buy a Headroom Micro DAC, which is one extremely high quality DAC, and pair it up with the stackable matched Micro Amp, or any other amp. The Micro DAC has optical/coax or USB input.

But the TBH is a nice all-in-one solution for laptop use as Jude pointed out. I have an last gen 2004 Airhead right now and it's a bit lacking due to the crossfeed that adds too much bass shift and noticeable hiss with low impedance earphones. This new Bithead is supposed to address those problems and also improve the sound quality.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back