Porta Corda Review
Nov 21, 2001 at 8:01 PM Post #16 of 23
Jan
So are you saying all one needs to get better quality at higher volume is a case of batteries(i.e. 3x9V) suitably wired to a 9V battery connector - the compromise being between weight and quality at higher volume?

Nov 21, 2001 at 10:53 PM Post #17 of 23
joe bloggs: The linear power supply is usually a lot larger than the switched one due to its principle of operation - or it has more wattage at the same size. You could imagine the switched version as a controlled valve that pumps electrons in a tank, which actually is a capacitor (so the desired output voltage builds up over this capacitor...) - and it can be fed with higher voltages, thus it only needs a smaller transformer. Whereas the linear power supply needs a larger transformer with the voltage only a tad higher than the desired output voltage (thus it also needs a higher current...) - the rest is more or less being burned by the linear ...uhm, how do you call these thingies in english? controller? ruler? regulator? But usually they tell you on the package, because sitched power supplies are considered a "new technology" for your typical wall-wart - so the manufacturers proudly state the potential buzzword on the box.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

P.S.: And thanks to utdeep for the nice review.

P.P.S.: Ah, I forgot the actual problem: The output voltage is usually not nicely sine shaped with switching power supplies. But that nicely sine shaped voltage is exspected by yout typical audio device, which explains Jan's recommendation.
biggrin.gif

Nov 21, 2001 at 11:49 PM Post #19 of 23
saltydog: Your typical Radio Shack or compatible shop (German synonym would probably be Conrad Electronic
wink.gif
) has a whole bunch of these. And last time I checked the product descriptions were quite clear, so you should have no difficuties at linear power supply spotting.
biggrin.gif

Grinnings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Nov 22, 2001 at 3:35 AM Post #20 of 23
Quote:

The output voltage is usually not nicely sine shaped with switching power supplies. But that nicely sine shaped voltage is exspected by yout typical audio device

Actually, the output voltage of switching and linear power supplies--and the voltage expected by most audio devices--is a dc (direct current) voltage, not a sine wave (i.e., ac) voltage.

Nov 22, 2001 at 8:47 AM Post #21 of 23
rpell: Silly me - of course, you're right. Sorry. The correct sentence would be: The output dc voltage needs to be derived from a nicely sine shaped ac input voltage - otherwise it'll cause distortion.

Manfred / lini

Nov 26, 2001 at 5:25 AM Post #22 of 23
anyone else get a porta-corda?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back