PORTA CORDA MkIII-USB Vs. Headroom Total Bithead
Jul 23, 2005 at 1:58 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

Peppermint Duck

100+ Head-Fier
I need an external soundcard (with headphone amplifier) for my PC. I've noticed these two models seem to meet my requirements, but can also act as amps for my portables too which is great.

I've read very mixed things about the Bithead, but heard nothing about the MkIII. Which of the two is considered best? Are there any other options? Will they make that much of a difference to my built-in AC97 sound? (presumably even if they don't they include an headphone amp, so all is good).

I live in the UK so it would be a lot cheaper for me to buy from Germany than from America, and I won't be stung with import duties either. But still, this is a side issue.

Jul 24, 2005 at 5:31 AM Post #3 of 24
I think the Porta Corda MkIII is too new still for many people to have done the comparison.

I know I like mine, if that helps any
biggrin.gif

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:03 PM Post #4 of 24
Too bad nobody is posting their opinion. I'm also wondering about the difference in sound quality between the Porta Corda and the Bithead. Maybe it's because the PortaCorda III has not been around long enough but I guess it would also be relevant to get the opinion of sound quality between the Bithead and the PortaCorda II. I also consider the Echo Indigo in the equation because unlike you, I would only use it with my portable but that is not a solution for you. If anybody as tried the Echo Indigo versus the Bithead or PortaCorda I would like to read your opinion.

Hopefully some will chime in soon!

Cheers.

Jul 25, 2005 at 2:30 PM Post #5 of 24
Actually I'm interested in the Indigo too. My PC = laptop. But it's quite an expensive card, though it apparently includes a decent built-in headphone amp too. Still, the Bithead or the Corda would provide that element of portability that the Echo wouldn't.

Jul 25, 2005 at 6:53 PM Post #6 of 24
I think you will find very few people who have heard the new porta corda, and maybe none who have heard both. I doubt that one of them would be "considered better" ultimately, they are probably pretty close in performance with some subtle differences. The TBH is a really nice product, but I sent mine back because I liked the micro stack is so much better. So, if thats in your price range (maybe just get one, and then the other) it would surely outperform the porta corda, too.

Jul 25, 2005 at 7:02 PM Post #7 of 24
Haha, you're checking the Indigo also, this happens very often, someone starts a thread and then you realize that a few others are checking out the same things as you!

Actually the Indigo is the cheapest at around $180us, both the Bithead and the Corda are more expensive than that. They are definitely not the same, the Bithead/Corda can be used in different applications but for me my need is really only with the portable PC so if I can figure out which would provide the best sound quality then I'd probably go for that. I actually read only one comment from one person that was saying he converted from the Bithead to the Indigo and was really very happy because to his taste the sound quality was much better with the Indigo.

I would really have liked to have a few more opinions but it doesn't look like we are going to get much from this thread, we are pretty much discussing just the two of us together! haha

Cheers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppermint Duck
Actually I'm interested in the Indigo too. My PC = laptop. But it's quite an expensive card, though it apparently includes a decent built-in headphone amp too. Still, the Bithead or the Corda would provide that element of portability that the Echo wouldn't.

Jul 25, 2005 at 10:33 PM Post #8 of 24
You might look for comparisons between the airhead (which I think uses the same amp section as the bithead) and the PortaCorda mkII. That will at least give you some indication on how the amp sections sound.

Jul 25, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #9 of 24
I have a question for you guys:

Do either one of these DAC's upsample to 24/96 from the USB or are they limited to 16/48 by software?

Just wondering if they were like the transit at all with special software....that would certainly matter to someone who is running it exclusively from USB.

If they aren't like the transit, get the transit.

-Matt

Jul 25, 2005 at 11:46 PM Post #10 of 24
Both of the USB jobs use built-in Windows drivers, and everything goes to 16/48 on the way out.

The Indigo, though WILL accept a 24/96 signal. I set Media Center 11 to upsample to 24/96. It SEEMS like it sounds a little smoother. But it's very cool to be able to do it!

Also, the Audiophile USB will do the same thing - 16/44.1 up to 24/96.

Jul 26, 2005 at 12:50 AM Post #11 of 24
Ho you have an Indigo, did you compare it to something else before or after you bought it? I'd be interested by your comments because right now the Indigo is my first choice. Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFRfan
Both of the USB jobs use built-in Windows drivers, and everything goes to 16/48 on the way out.

The Indigo, though WILL accept a 24/96 signal. I set Media Center 11 to upsample to 24/96. It SEEMS like it sounds a little smoother. But it's very cool to be able to do it!

Also, the Audiophile USB will do the same thing - 16/44.1 up to 24/96.

Jul 26, 2005 at 9:47 AM Post #12 of 24
I have the Indigo and like it very much.

Unfortunately the Indigo gets very hot during use, especially with some more demanding headphones (with my old HD 590 it became hot to the touch, with the PX 200 it is more reasonable). This seems to be normal and does not affect the function of the card in any way. However, I heard it reduces the runing time of the notebook on battery by about 30%.

All in all I have no regrets about getting the Indigo. It supports ASIO, and the 24Bit capability is really a plus since I have run Foobar2k at -26db with my PX 200.

Jul 26, 2005 at 10:23 AM Post #13 of 24
Would the Indigo be able to power a pair of sr-225s well? (they're low inpendance anyway, just like all Grados) or would I need to invest in a headphone amplifier? (I heard the Echo included one, but I'm not sure how good it is). Also, what other outputs does the Indigo have other than headphone out? Does it have an optical out so in future I could add a DAC?

Jul 26, 2005 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 24
I would say the Indigo is a very specialized tool. If you get the Indigo DJ, you get one volume controled 1/8" headphone out and one 1/8" line out. You could use the line out into a headphone amp if your headphone are a difficult load but for Grado it's probably not a must. However, there is no other out features so it is not something you buy with future upgrade in mind. The M-audio Audiophile USB is a little more versatile with more in and out connectivity and it can be used with other equipment than your portable PC. However it's a seperate box that needs to be plugged so you can't just push your headphone in your portable PC like you would do with the Indigo.

Bottom line, for me they both have their own positive and negative and I'd be happy with one or the other if I can just figure out which is better for sound quality!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Peppermint Duck
Would the Indigo be able to power a pair of sr-225s well? (they're low inpendance anyway, just like all Grados) or would I need to invest in a headphone amplifier? (I heard the Echo included one, but I'm not sure how good it is). Also, what other outputs does the Indigo have other than headphone out? Does it have an optical out so in future I could add a DAC?

Jul 27, 2005 at 12:50 PM Post #15 of 24
Very informative. My MK3 is my first and only USB DAC/AMP. I know it does the job, but maybe not that well. I have the microdac & sr71 on order. Soon I will have a means of comparision. I hope it is a wow. Also adding hd650s which are in the 149th hour of breakin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back