Porta Corda MkII: first impressions
Dec 15, 2004 at 8:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

Routa

Head-Fier
My Porta Corda Mk II from the group by arrived today and I managed to get some quality time with my new toy. As I write this little review I'm listening some Auf Der Maur from my iHP-120 and really enjoying myself
biggrin.gif

This is by no means a complete analytical review, but still I'd like to share some first thoughts of this little amp.

The amp arrived very well in neat little box (thanks PeterR) with ic, adapter tip and manual included. When I picked the box into my hand I thought it's empty, the amp without a battery really is a featherweight.

Build quality of this little amp is impressive, it feels very sturdy despite the light weight. Also the few controls are well placed and have nice precise feeling to them.

Sizewise the amp is perfect companion to my iHP-120 (check the included crap quality pic). I can also fit both iHP-120 and PC MkII into my jacket pocket for portable use if I want, but probably I'll cram all the gear into my Lowepro 30W for longer trips.

Now for sonic impressions. I used iHP-120 with LAME APS/APX mp3's as a source and phones used were Alessandro MS-1s. PC MkII was connected to iRivers line out with the included interconnect.

I also tried very briefly my MX500 buds amped, but actually amping just revealed some annoyng features in their sound and didn't necessarily do them any favours, so I chose just to enjoy the MS-1s with the amp.

The amp was in totally stock form, in A/B mode, running on battery power and crossfeed was not applied. I went on song by song, first listening without amping and then amped and finally back to unamped. I tried to set volume levels as even as I could after switching between unamped and amped modes.

Music included following songs:
Tool - Ticks And Leeches
Stone Sour - Choose
Red Hot Chili Peppers - By The Way
The Roots - Sacrifice
The Prodigy - Girls
Massive Attack - Angel
Snoop Doggy Dogg - Who Am I
Godsmack - Re-Align (acoustic)
Propellerheads - On Her Majesty's Secret Service
Radiohead - Subterranean Homesick Alien

Though my source isn't very high end and the Alessandros necessarily don't need amping with iHP, still I was very pleased with my first hour with this amp.

As some of you might guess when you look at my song list, the first thing I noticed was that Porta Corda MkII adds impact and punchiness to bass and drums. It also made low bass lines in songs like Angel and Choose sound way better, musical and still grumbling and powerful.

Amping also added airiness and space to the overall sound, no matter what song was playing. Unpamped sound was a bit dull and uneventful sounding after I had listened to the same music amped.

I guess there's no turning back anymore, my iHP stays hooked on this little thing from now on
icon10.gif

Dec 15, 2004 at 9:40 PM Post #2 of 36
Very well written Mini review Routa I enjoyed reading it... as with all amps, what you hear out of the box usually improves with a few hundred hours burn in so I look forward to reading your impressions once the amp has fully burnt in.

All the best.

Pinkie.

Dec 15, 2004 at 9:56 PM Post #3 of 36
Thanks Routa. Our musical tastes overlap, and I found your mini-review to be quite useful. I will also be connecting my PCII to an MP3 player (an iPod with Sennheiser HD-25s), so once again there is some overlap, making your review particularly relevant to many portable combinations. Please update us with your evaluation as you listen further.

- walkman666

Dec 16, 2004 at 2:18 AM Post #5 of 36
is it really that good? im using ipod 4th gen + MS-1 ... i thought i could save my wallet by just building a CMOY ... but after reading your post, im thinking whether i should get the PC MKII again ...

any advice anyone??

Dec 16, 2004 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 36
Hello all- im newly registered here- though i have been reading for several months now.

Of course the porta corda group buy is what inspired me to register as I was going to ask for some reviews with an hp140- but i sign on and here it is. Was quite helpful. Thank you.

jd

Dec 16, 2004 at 4:58 AM Post #8 of 36
nice little review. I'm more convinced now on buying the MKII after reading those.

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:56 AM Post #10 of 36
Thanks for the kind words, everybody.
biggrin.gif

I'll try to do a bit more thorough review later. I'm also going switch the amp to class A mode as soon as I get my hands on a suitable PSU for stationary use.

More impressions:

Despite the overall airiness, the amp also adds something to the sound that I'd call deeper, more three dimensional sound. Or maybe it's better to say that the unamped sound is flatter and a bit unnatural when compared to amped.

In the en this amp sounds quite neutral and true to the source. Amped sound is very similar to unamped but just plain better in all aspects (impact, speed, soundstage etc.). I'd guess that PC MkII should scale nicely with better sources and phones too (not that I'm going to upgrade my portable system for a while
icon10.gif
)

Dec 16, 2004 at 10:20 AM Post #11 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by microni
is it really that good? im using ipod 4th gen + MS-1 ... i thought i could save my wallet by just building a CMOY ... but after reading your post, im thinking whether i should get the PC MKII again ...

any advice anyone??

Too bad I don't have a CMOY available for comparison, and in fact I've never heard one so I won't start guessing whether it's a good idea to get one instead of PC.

What I can say is that I do like the MkII + MS-1 combo. The difference amped and unamped is not something I would call night and day but it's still there.

Dec 16, 2004 at 1:27 PM Post #12 of 36
Hi Routa,
My PC II is about 8 months old. I use it with UE10Pro, Ety 4S and -P and Grado RS1. I fully agree with your review - it´s exactly what I feel about it. Especially the Ety´s are a lot improved due to their bass-shyness. Bass-impact is added what is especially hearable with the RS1. Also the very relaxing musicality (non-fatiguing) keeps me listening for hours without stress. Good report! Greetings from Germany
lambda.gif

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:41 PM Post #14 of 36
I just switched the amp into A mode, it was a breeze. Just open four screws and dip two switches, close the case and that's it. Too bad my phones are at work so no testing tonight but I'll check the results tomorrow.

Dec 16, 2004 at 7:47 PM Post #15 of 36
Cool, I was a wonderin' if that procedure was tricky or not. Sounds like mechanical dumbos like me can even handle it. Thanks!

- walkman666

Users who are viewing this thread

Back