Porta Corda in Canada
Feb 11, 2002 at 5:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

oldguy

100+ Head-Fier
Has anyone ordered a Meier Audio product directly from Germany to Canada?

I am curious about duty etc. It appears to be cheaper to convert directly from $EURO---$CAN. I am looking into the Potra Corda
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:06 PM Post #2 of 8
Jan told me we don't pay import duty for items under US$250, and I didn't pay the duty tax for my Porta Corda order. Well, this is for USA, and I am not sure for other countries.

Feb 11, 2002 at 11:21 PM Post #3 of 8
I live in Ontario, and when I ordered my Corda HA-1 and Sennheiser HD600, which cost about $500 US not including taxes, I ended up paying about $80 CDN in GST + PST + duties.

Feb 12, 2002 at 2:01 AM Post #5 of 8
We need a Canadian something or other....honestly....with the way the dollar is...things are tough, but really the dollar is not the true killer, it is the blasted tax and border taxes that really get us...

Options? Used...or get friendly with a local audio hi-fi owner who will cut you a sweet deal....

Feb 12, 2002 at 12:13 PM Post #6 of 8
To Canadians;

Another possibility for those living in or near a border town, is to have the purchased items shipped to the nearest FedEx location in the US. FedEx will hold the item, and even call you when it arrives! you can use your "own method" to bring the goods home from there!! This has worked for me in the past with US based purchases, however dealing with a European country is different.

The present exchange rate between $Euro--$ Can. is much better than $Euro-$US-$Can.In other words, buying stuff from Meier Audio needs to be on a direct basis.

Now we are at the mercy of good old Canada Customs and how the agent is feeling that day!

I guess my main reason for the post was in trying to calculate the landed cost of the Porta Corda in Canada. Feedback so far has told me that I would pay PST & GST on the STATED value of the goods + duty at a somewhat variable rate.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I still think we could support a Canadian style "Headroom".

How about it Canadian Audio Dealers?
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 13, 2002 at 7:50 AM Post #7 of 8
If I were you guys(anyone thats lives near the border) I would throw the boxs away and stuff the headphones and amp in your backpack and say you did not buy it, and that you used it while walking around the US LOL.

Taxs this (pulls out his middle finger) Jean C.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back