Porta Corda II v. 2004 Total Airhead?
Mar 2, 2004 at 3:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

sclemmons

100+ Head-Fier
The last thread on this subject died before anybody offered an answer. Forgive me for not taking the hint. Which of these portables is the one to get? I have considered both for use with an iPod or a laptop and ETY 4, but may get some more headphones as well. Both amps are available retail. TAH is new, PC is current model. Pricing is about the same. Both have crossfeed. Size is comparable. Which would you go for and why? Thanks.

Mar 2, 2004 at 4:48 AM Post #2 of 11
Not to steer your thread in a slightly different direction, but have you looked at the Total BitHead at all? It would be a nice mix with your laptop so you could bypass the onboard soundcard (unless you already have a kickass PCMCIA card). I believe that the BitHead is an Airhead (and the TBH is a TAH) witht he added ability to process the audio signal directly via USB. Check the Headroom website, but I am pretty sure it functions the same as a TAH when used with an iPod or other non-computer source.

Mar 3, 2004 at 1:47 AM Post #3 of 11
Unsettled or traveling through to Sept & thinking what's the best way to spend $200 if I've the ER-6's and whichever PCDC cost <$25 at Target.

I've no sense of how dreadful--if at all--the Target PCDC is because long-time home rig (Rotel 855, Spendor BC-1s & Music Fidelity A-1) is warehoused.)

First thought was to buy Porta-Corda, but noticed that Jan has marked them "discontinued" on his site.

Still is there a point where the sound-source is so limited that any head-amp makes no sense?

Many thanks,

Richard

Mar 3, 2004 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 11
I would gently disagree with the assertion that the PC II is discontinued. I think the discontinued notice on the site applies to the HA I, not the PC II. Look again.

http://home.t-online.de/home/meier-audio/

But no matter.

I ask the group, again, because these amps are priced comparably, are comparable in size, and both have crossfeed.

My question is "Which is the better sounding: the PC II or the new TAH (Or bithead if you have knowledge of its sound)" If this is the short list, which should you pick? Has anybody heard them both? Which sounded better?

Can you guys help me with the answer to that question?

Mar 3, 2004 at 5:09 PM Post #5 of 11
I had a chance to do a direct comparison and I decided to buy the Meier PC II. There are MANY reasons:

#1 The Meier PC II sounds better; WAY better.

#2 The Meier PC II is user-selectable (via DIP switches) to bias output to class AB or class A.

#3 The LED is is defeatable via the DIPs.

#4 The Meier "Natural Crossfeed" is WAY WAY WAY better than the TAH crossfeed circuit.

#5 The build qulity of the Meier PC II is MUCH better than that of the TAH.

#6 The Meier PC II comes complete with an Oelbach 120 Ohm HP output adapter. The default impedance of the HP output is 0 Ohms. Having the adapter gives you a LOT more flexibility with regard to compatibility with a wide range of cans.

#7 The Oelbach Mini-to-Mini cable that comes with the Meier PC II is FAR SUPERIOR to the one that comes with the TAH. No need to upgrade the Oelbach cable!

There are probably more reasons that I've forgotten, but I think you get my point. I run my Meier PC II biased to class A, LED defeated, crossfeed ON, and from a standard 9V battery (NO AC line-noise issues and NO need for a costly power filter.

Source is Sony SCD-1 and cans are ER4S.
biggrin.gif

Mar 3, 2004 at 7:44 PM Post #7 of 11
Thanks, sclemmons, I'm using public terminal with IE x.y--who knows--and displaying to a 15" e-machine CRT. The left frame is squished and the word "discontinued" is over-laid on paragraph describing Porta Corda. OTOH, the word "discontinued" does not appear over the Porta Corda jpeg--instead over the HA-1.

Assume the installed browser isn't reading frames or css sheets properly and there is a Porta Corda. I'm not seeing II anywhere though.

The other question, for me only, is "Can the source be so compromised--e.g. my <$25 Target generic PCDP that a Porta Corda II is not the best way to spend $200? IOW, would you recommend a better CD player first?"

Mar 3, 2004 at 8:03 PM Post #8 of 11
I think most people would recommend a source first, but I am not sure the CD format on a cheap player is inferior to an MP3 on a more expensive player. It depends.

I will buy something for my iPod, knowing a CD format is superior. But I won't schlep a CD player when an iPod is convenient and I already have one.

But there are plenty of experts who know more than me around here. You might want to start a thread.

Mar 3, 2004 at 9:43 PM Post #9 of 11
Yes, the comparison was made against the current TAH.

Quote:

Originally posted by sclemmons
Hi Monkeyman:

Just to be clear: you are speaking of the new Total Airhead? The new version currently on the market?

Mar 3, 2004 at 11:19 PM Post #10 of 11
Quote:

Originally posted by rlmoss
The other question, for me only, is "Can the source be so compromised--e.g. my <$25 Target generic PCDP that a Porta Corda II is not the best way to spend $200? IOW, would you recommend a better CD player first?"

Assuming that the Target PCDP has a line out (if it doesn't...that's aproblem) and assuming that it isn't a diamond in the rough, I do believe that the Porta Corda II deserves a better PCDP. Your budget could probably get a D-141 off Ebay. There's a whole portable audio section here...but is money THAT tight that you can only get a $25 PCDP? I think you will definitely be better off investing in a better source. Crap in = crap out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back