Porta Corda Crossfeed is good
Apr 9, 2002 at 8:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

taoster

Headphoneus Supremus
Im back from my trip! sure, no one noticed or missed me but I did discovered something while I was on my trip!

I now prefer the Porta Corda crossfeed(mid, standard) on!

When I first received the Porta Corda and listened to the amp with and without the crossfeed, I really disliked the crossfeed. It really cut out alot of the midrange, mid bass thus detail. However, this week while i was away, I listened to Beth Orton "central reservation", Nick Cave "best of album" and Miles Davis "Kind of blues" and I discovered I much prefer the sound of these records with the crossfeed on for all three but especially beth orton.

Although alot of the mid-range is still missing with the crossfeed on, the music is so much clearer and fuller in sound. Each note and each vocal sounds more 3D, fuller almost tubey! Switching back and forth I must say the lost mid-range was hazzy crap anyway the sound is so much more precise and clearer i now screw my face whenever i switch the crossfeed off.

Those with a porta corda and dislikes the crossfeed, give it another go and tell me what you think.

Apr 9, 2002 at 12:08 PM Post #2 of 9
Dear Taoster,

Finally, a convert :)

But no kidding, I think you discovered something that many people still have to learn. True HiFi, at least in the way I see it, is not about displaying as many details as possible. It's not about finding the most forwarded sound and the deepest (and boomiest) bass. It's about a natural presentation that is inobtrusive by itself and lets us focus on the music. True HiFi is not easily recognized by many as it has no specific (and spectacular) character of itself .

But that's just my opinion :)

Enjoy,

Jan

Apr 9, 2002 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 9
Is there any way to tweak the amount of cross-feed in the Porta CORDA? For my personal tastes, it's just a tiny bit shy of optimal.

<dlow ducks for cover>
eek.gif

Apr 9, 2002 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 9
Dear Dlow,

** Is there any way to tweak the amount of cross-feed in the Porta CORDA? For my personal tastes, it's just a tiny bit shy of optimal. **

Yes, there is :)

To reduce the crossfeed level (which normally corresponds to the medium level of the CORDA HA-1) you can exchange the 680 Ohm resistor inside by a 1 kOhm version. The resistor is found between the back of the potentiometer and the "big" elko's. There's only one 680 Ohm resistor inside. After this resistor change the crossfeed level will correspond to the low level of the HA-1.

To increase the crossfeed level you may replace the 680 Ohm resistor by a lower value (e.g. 470 Ohm) or put a resistor parallel (2.2 kOhm in parrallel to 680 Ohm will result in 520 Ohm effective)

Cheers,

Jan

Apr 9, 2002 at 8:15 PM Post #5 of 9
Quote:

But no kidding, I think you discovered something that many people still have to learn. True HiFi, at least in the way I see it, is not about displaying as many details as possible. It's not about finding the most forwarded sound and the deepest (and boomiest) bass. It's about a natural presentation that is inobtrusive by itself and lets us focus on the music. True HiFi is not easily recognized by many as it has no specific (and spectacular) character of itself .

YES! Jan, I couldn't agree more.

Ross

Apr 9, 2002 at 9:07 PM Post #6 of 9
Jan, quick question: turning on the crossfeed on my JMT amp (which I think uses your enhanced bass crossfeed) seems to reduce the volume. Does it? If so, by how much? Thanks.

Apr 9, 2002 at 11:38 PM Post #7 of 9
Jan, its always good to know your opinion on any subject, it is highly valued. It is especially interesting to hear you express your view on your own product for the music.

as i am still new to high quality audio and have been brain washed by mega bass for many many years. i can say this, given time and money things will change, for better or worse!

your post on headwize was really interesting, good luck with your future endeavours and thank you for providing a service for all hifi enthusiast.

Apr 10, 2002 at 7:25 AM Post #8 of 9
Shivonum,

To be honest, I don't know how the filter was implemented on the JMT amp. Normally with the bass-enhanced filter there should be a very slight reduction of the upper frequencies. It should be very slight though.

Cheers,

Jan

Apr 10, 2002 at 7:42 AM Post #9 of 9
True Hifi = Making the music sound exactly like it did when it was performed in the recording studio. For some types of music this is impossible i.e. techno

Users who are viewing this thread

Back