Port Wine recommendations?
Oct 24, 2003 at 6:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

tone

100+ Head-Fier
I've just gotten into port wines recently and i was wondering if anybody has any recommendations (especially tawny ports in the $50 range).

I just bought a bottle of graham tawny port (20year) and it is absolutely fantastic! I was just wondering if there is anything out there that i should check out.

-Thanks!

Oct 24, 2003 at 6:59 AM Post #3 of 6
I like various Shiraz ports from Australia (and other Australian wines) -- can't think of any labels off the top of my head though.

Tawny is alright, pure vintage is better!

--Chris

Oct 24, 2003 at 8:49 AM Post #4 of 6
If you have a $50 budget you should be able to find some of the muscat style fortified wines from the Rutherglen region of Australia, it is the only regional variety unique to Australia. I prefer it to port - it goes very well with the same things, cheeses, fruit etc. In your price range look for the "rare" classification but try any you can find.
"The Jug Shop" in San Francisco (nr. Vallejo & Polk cnr?) always had a fair selection of Australian wines.

Oct 25, 2003 at 5:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:

Originally posted by hempcamp
I like various Shiraz ports from Australia (and other Australian wines) -- can't think of any labels off the top of my head though.

Tawny is alright, pure vintage is better!

--Chris

A good vintage port will always be the greatest choice for a port lover, IF he's very well off. Either you purchase them upon release for $75-100.00, and age them for the requisite 20 year minimum, or you buy them for hundreds of dollars from a merchant when they have already reached their prime. Neither is currently a viable option for me, or the majority of people I know, sadly.
On the afffordable front, one of the greatest values in port is the outstanding 12-15 year old Australian tawny port from Galway Pipe. Its available in good wine shops in the U.S. in the $22-25.00 range. As for the 20 year old tawnys, one cant really go wrong with one from any of the great port houses ie; Fonseca, Graham's, Taylor Fladgate etc. all will be in the $40-50.00 range and are generally superb.

JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back