Porsche Design Sound/KEF Space One and Motion One
Nov 19, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #32 of 108
So I did the final two flights with just the Space One, and still really no issues. I'm still really pleased with the sound, and as a bonus, whatever the impedance is, it works well with an airplane's in flight entertainment (no weird buzzing and such like a lot of headphones I've used over the years).

I do want to amend my comment around over/on ear. Most of my ear can technically be in the open area, just not like the 1000X. This is why they are more like on ear for me. I will reiterate that it is mainly because of the very thick padding used. Probably my only semi-gripe after 20+ hours of flights with them is that depending on the angle, the headband can be arguably the most uncomfortable part, but not very much. There is no excessive heat, etc.

After a few weeks, many hours on planes, were they worth the $420 to me? Yes. Dixon's at Heathrow was still sold out of the 1000X when I went through yesterday, but my impression of them is the same. I would still probably choose the Space One over the 1000X all day.

For now, the Space One will become my main set of travel headphones unless somehow the new H9 knocks it off the perch, and luckily I can audition that locally at the B&O store when it is released.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:31 AM Post #33 of 108
Just a quick update. I used the Space One on my trip this week to Asia and back, so about 35 hours worth of flights. At the end of the last leg home (a 15ish hour flight), the light for the NC started blinking. That means that the 50h they rate this at is somewhat conservative since I used it for more than 50h on a single battery which is impressive.

Dec 11, 2016 at 11:59 AM Post #34 of 108
Just a quick update. I used the Space One on my trip this week to Asia and back, so about 35 hours worth of flights. At the end of the last leg home (a 15ish hour flight), the light for the NC started blinking. That means that the 50h they rate this at is somewhat conservative since I used it for more than 50h on a single battery which is impressive.

Great news, I think you can always count on KEF. Btw the H9 came out recently, really looking forward to your impression.

Dec 11, 2016 at 12:04 PM Post #35 of 108
Great news, I think you can always count on KEF. Btw the H9 came out recently, really looking forward to your impression.

I'm picking it up tomorrow, but don't have any flights until next year to test ANC on the H9.

I should clarify - the 50+ hours is inclusive of all of my flights last month as well to/from Europe and here in the US.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:23 PM Post #37 of 108
Very interested in the Space One vs H9 comparison. Also curious if you have had the Momentum Wireless and how it compares to these two.

Nope, did not nor do I plan to own the Momentum Wireless. I tried the original Momentum years ago and hated it. I do not like the sound signature of Sennheiser headphones at all. Keep in mind I do not care about bluetooth. The fact that the H9 has BT is inconsequential to me.

Dec 11, 2016 at 2:40 PM Post #38 of 108
Nope, did not nor do I plan to own the Momentum Wireless. I tried the original Momentum years ago and hated it. I do not like the sound signature of Sennheiser headphones at all. Keep in mind I do not care about bluetooth. The fact that the H9 has BT is inconsequential to me.

Agreed - I don't care about BT either, but I do want NC, that is why I'm considering Space One. Even with H9 or Momentum Wireless, I would use them wired.

Dec 13, 2016 at 5:44 PM Post #39 of 108
My thoughts on the H9 vs. H8 vs. Space One

http://www.head-fi.org/t/827704/b-o-h9-discussion-and-impressions-thread/60#post_13085708

Still early days, considering I literally got the H9 a few hours ago.

Dec 13, 2016 at 7:23 PM Post #40 of 108
My thoughts on the H9 vs. H8 vs. Space One

http://www.head-fi.org/t/827704/b-o-h9-discussion-and-impressions-thread/60#post_13085708

Still early days, considering I literally got the H9 a few hours ago.

Detailed and joyful to read as usual. I nearly ordered one from Amazon which has flexible and hassle free return policy to at least do a quick comparison but thankfully got your review as reference now.

Given your impression and the commercial pictures from B&O (plus some auditions with the H7) I think I can feel the comfort they want to convey, however if the H9 cannot surpass the Space One in terms of sound quality then I feel so relieved that I wont have be urged to try/buy them to save for other gear.

Can you give some more information on its weight and clamping force (the H9), these two aspects of the Space One start to annoy me after around one hour listening (my head is not big but maybe unusually shaped). Luckily I usually do not have extensive listening session with over ears so it is not really an issue now but for future flights/journeys it is highly possible.

Thanks, Ling.

Dec 13, 2016 at 10:29 PM Post #41 of 108
Can you give some more information on its weight and clamping force (the H9), these two aspects of the Space One start to annoy me after around one hour listening (my head is not big but maybe unusually shaped). Luckily I usually do not have extensive listening session with over ears so it is not really an issue now but for future flights/journeys it is highly possible.

This is where the H9 beats the Space One. I've worn  the Space One on multiple 15 hour flights, so I know how it is. Honestly, it's pretty good but the thickness of the pads and the headband can get slightly uncomfortable after hours upon hours. Not as bad as other headphones I've had - not even close - but still you know when you've had it on a long time. Right out of the box, the H9 was super comfortable, and better over my ears and on top of my head. Assuming the ANC will be about equal (since the H8 and Space One were fairly close), it boils down to preferring comfort to sound, or vice versa. There's no question for me, the sound of the Space One is superior.

Here's one where I will say if PD/KEF had used real leather and changed the padding slightly, we might be having a different conversation.

Dec 15, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #42 of 108
Fender-

Thanks so much, man. I'd been searching for EXACTLY this review.

Unfortunately, I'm still exactly where I was before I read it... On the fence, ha ha.

I've been looking for something that can challenge my Bose QC25, as far as NC goes, for a long time... and there just doesn't seem to be another game in town besides the Sonys, which I'm not a fan of. Don't get me wrong, the SQ is much better than the Bose, but "much better than bad" has not yet inspired me to reach for my wallet.

I'm looking for a specter... Something that battles the best mid-tier cans while offering Bose-like NC.

Let me ask you this... How would you compare the Space One's SQ against a really good mid-tier performer like the NAD Viso HP50, B&W P7, or the classic Sennheiser HD600/650 (those last two maybe aren't fair)?

And how far off, percentage-wise, would you put the Space One's NC abilities from Bose?

I'm going to head over to the Porsche Design store and compare them against my QC25s, but that will obviously be a poor test... Traffic and shopping crowds don't fill in for jet engines very well...

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:02 PM Post #43 of 108

This is where the H9 beats the Space One. I've worn  the Space One on multiple 15 hour flights, so I know how it is. Honestly, it's pretty good but the thickness of the pads and the headband can get slightly uncomfortable after hours upon hours. Not as bad as other headphones I've had - not even close - but still you know when you've had it on a long time. Right out of the box, the H9 was super comfortable, and better over my ears and on top of my head. Assuming the ANC will be about equal (since the H8 and Space One were fairly close), it boils down to preferring comfort to sound, or vice versa. There's no question for me, the sound of the Space One is superior.

Here's one where I will say if PD/KEF had used real leather and changed the padding slightly, we might be having a different conversation.

In that case, if they are still with PD, the price will exceed 500 pounds or 600 bucks and that is not fun at all lol. I would like KEF to work indepently on their own/upgraded version of the Space One. Although the M500 and M400 was also designed by Porsche Design (confirmed by a KEF staff I talked to), I think the dedication to quality build and quality control is better than the Space One.

Fender-

Unfortunately, I'm still exactly where I was before I read it... On the fence, ha ha.

I've been looking for something that can challenge my Bose QC25 (I won't go wireless) for a long time, and there just doesn't seem to be another game in town besides the Sonys, which I'm not a fan of. Don't get me wrong, the SQ is better than the Bose, but "better than bad" has not yet inspired me to reach for my wallet.

Let me ask you this... How would you compare the Space One's SQ against a really good mid-tier performer like the NAD Viso HP50, B&W P7, or the classic Sennheiser HD600/650 (those last two maybe aren't fair)?

And how far off, percentage-wise, would you put the Space One's NC abilities from Bose?

I'm going to head over to the Porsche Design store and compare them against my QC25s, but that will obviously be a poor test... Traffic and shopping crowds don't fill in for jet engines very well...

Let's not dig into the HD650/600 comparison because they are too different in many aspects. What I can tell is while not giving you the high-end and musical feel of the HD family with wide soundstage and warm sound signature, the SQ on the Space One is very solid in details and extension, especially in bass and mids. The sub bass to my ears, wins, with tightness and more details. They are also more neutral and versatile in many different genres. As portable cans, they can work great straight out of the phone very well (very efficient) and very forgiving even with bad sources.

In comparison with the P7, less the ANC part, this is very much a tie in my opinion, the Space one is neutral and clear while the P7 sound signature is more colored (to my ears) but very very well colored with a bit wider soundstage and stronger bass. If you like the Bose sound, I think you may prefer the P7.

ANC? If the 1000x is 9, the QC35/25 is 8.5 then I will rate the Space One 6.5

Hope this, though subjective, can help you to an extent. I think you can buy and try them (the Space One) for like a week or two, you will really like them, otherwise you can return (get it from Amazon with 30-day hassle free return policy). 

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:06 PM Post #44 of 108
Fender-

I've been looking for something that can challenge my Bose QC25, as far as NC goes, for a long time... and there just doesn't seem to be another game in town besides the Sonys, which I'm not a fan of. Don't get me wrong, the SQ is much better than the Bose, but "much better than bad" has not yet inspired me to reach for my wallet.

I'm looking for a specter... Something that battles the best mid-tier cans while offering Bose-like NC.

The only thing that will challenge the Bose for NC will be the 1000X - period. If your #1 goal is NC, Bose and Sony are it.

I have never heard the NAD or the Sennheiser (and I hate Senn cans). I briefly owned the P7 but it sucked on a plane (no NC, horrid isolation), so it didn't stay around. I really like the Space One - I liked it enough to switch from the B&O H8 which I had been using since early 2015.

If all you want to do is block the rumble of the engine, etc., the Space One is more than adequate. I've used them (and the H8 before it) on many flights at this point and they do the job. If you're looking for something that it doesn't cut, well, it may not work.

I think the Bose are horrid, but prior to the 1000X, were the king of NC. I prioritize SQ over NC, but the NC has to be good enough to work on a plane and for that, the Space One is more than fine.

Dec 15, 2016 at 6:10 PM Post #45 of 108

In that case, if they are still with PD, the price will exceed 500 pounds or 600 bucks and that is not fun at all lol. I would like KEF to work indepently on their own/upgraded version of the Space One. Although the M500 and M400 was also designed by Porsche Design (confirmed by a KEF staff I talked to), I think the dedication to qualithe y build and quality control is better than the Space One.

Based on SQ, I'd pay it. Having gone back and forth with the H9 now for a couple of days, if I can stick the Space One sound quality in the H9's body, it'd be a winner. The H9 is much more comfortable. The biggest issue to me with the Space One are the earpads. The pleather plus the super thick pad can't match what B&O did. They're not the worst ever, but right now I'm torn because the H9 isn't bad, but better to wear. Thte SQ is not up to par with the Space One, but it's also not far off. It's better than the H8.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back