Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet
Mar 27, 2007 at 1:07 AM Post #31 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, that's the DVD-Audio version... There's only one high-res release. I agree, it is confusing, because there are many older DVD discs in the wild that are only DTS (ex. unsanctioned DTS version of Steely Dan's Gaucho). This one, like In Absentia before it, just happens to be sponsored by the company DTS. Basically, they thought the album was enough of a showcase that they paid all of the fees it took to mix the album in surround. Then, they got to stamp their logo on it and put a blurb in the booklet.

Otherwise, it's just like most other DVD-Audio discs: 5.1 DVD-Audio, 5.1 DTS, and 2.0 PCM. Good question, though.

Thanks for the help. Grabbed that DVD-A and the one of In Absentia and the new Blackfield.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:31 AM Post #32 of 50
Sweet. Music's subjective, but I'm really, really digging the new Blackfield (II). Just like Steven Wilson says, it's more of a pop album/project, and it's mixed as such, but it actually has a decent amount of dynamic range(!). The songs never overstay their welcomes--they get in and get out, which is exactly what I look for in a poppish album.

I haven't spent much time with the 5.1 mixes of PT's albums since I got my integrated amp, but from what I remember, they were amazing even with horrible surround speakers.

Plus, you can't beat Newbury Comics's price on PT's DVD-A discs. I paid $16+ each about a year ago.

Mar 27, 2007 at 1:38 AM Post #33 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by infinitesymphony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sweet. Music's subjective, but I'm really, really digging the new Blackfield (II). Just like Steven Wilson says, it's more of a pop album/project, and it's mixed as such, but it actually has a decent amount of dynamic range(!). The songs never overstay their welcomes--they get in and get out, which is exactly what I look for in a poppish album.

I haven't spent much time with the 5.1 mixes of PT's albums since I got my integrated amp, but from what I remember, they were amazing even with horrible surround speakers.

Plus, you can't beat Newbury Comics's price on PT's DVD-A discs. I paid $16+ each about a year ago.

Absolutely those DVD-As were dirt cheap. Wish I found them earlier. I'll definitely be checking the site a lot more now, much better than their brick and mortar stores.

I think the new Blackfield is much better than their first album, but still not too much to my liking. But I can't say no for $12.

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:14 PM Post #34 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i really really really want to see them live. i know a guy who did, and apparently they played some early sketches of the material that will be Fear of a Blank Planet.

I saw them at the Nokia last October and they played virtually the entire new album. It's very hard to assess it on first listen (and live), but it seemed similar to Deadwing/In Absentia. That's what concerns me. I listened to the sample at Myspace and it sounded a whole lot like the last 2 albums. I'll probably get it and may well enjoy it, even if it is similar to the last two— I'm just not of the mind right now that it's going to be the second coming.

Mar 27, 2007 at 5:26 PM Post #35 of 50
saw these guys once and am looking forward to the new LP, have most of their stuff on vinyl and redbook, nice to see a pt thread on hf..

Mar 27, 2007 at 9:11 PM Post #36 of 50
I'm so happy, I managed to get in on the pre-order for the signed limited edition of the new album.
smily_headphones1.gif
From what I've heard of the sampler and clips from the interview, I can't wait to finally get my hands on this album.

Mar 27, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #37 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by dave-the-rave /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I saw them at the Nokia last October and they played virtually the entire new album. It's very hard to assess it on first listen (and live), but it seemed similar to Deadwing/In Absentia. That's what concerns me. I listened to the sample at Myspace and it sounded a whole lot like the last 2 albums. I'll probably get it and may well enjoy it, even if it is similar to the last two— I'm just not of the mind right now that it's going to be the second coming.

personally i think it's going to be more heavy than the last two albums, and the sampler shows it. luckily i have resisted temptation and not downloaded the leaked tracks, so i will just wait and see.

Mar 27, 2007 at 11:43 PM Post #38 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by Thelonious Monk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
personally i think it's going to be more heavy than the last two albums, and the sampler shows it. luckily i have resisted temptation and not downloaded the leaked tracks, so i will just wait and see.

X2
waiting for the deadw
very_evil_smiley.gif
x

Apr 12, 2007 at 6:57 PM Post #39 of 50
I didn't want to open a new thread , so I'm posting here .

the album has been leaked, and sorry , i just couldn't wait another day ...

first of all "Anesthetize" is amazing (!!) , a great song , one of their finest work ( and there is already plenty of that) , i feel some "tool" here (starts around the five minute mark) but it's not long .

about the rest of the album , the single ( same as the album title ) is quite good , the lyrics are really intresting , can't wait to read the lyrics of the entire album.

i belive that this one is the kind that grows on you , so be patient
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 19, 2007 at 7:15 PM Post #41 of 50
I just noticed my pre-order from newburycomics.com has been updated to "order shipped"! Looks like they're shipping it out so it arrives by the official release date.
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 20, 2007 at 1:41 AM Post #44 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by RotAtoR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just noticed my pre-order from newburycomics.com has been updated to "order shipped"! Looks like they're shipping it out so it arrives by the official release date.
smily_headphones1.gif

I just got the same notice
smily_headphones1.gif

edit: Fear of a Blank Planet has become one of my favorite PT albums, great album.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back