Porcupine Tree's Fear of a Blank Planet
Mar 5, 2007 at 3:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 50

Thelonious Monk

Headphoneus Supremus
we're finally getting there... Porcupine Tree's new album is on the horizon!

http://www.myspace.com/porcupinetree

you have to listen to that sampler. it is awesome. i'm going to die before April 24th. it could use some more more lyrical stuff, but god, i love their heavy/distorted stuff in the vein of 21st Century Schizoid Man, with the "paranoid fuzz". and i'm sure it will sound so much better when i hear the actual songs...

i assure you, i'll be the first one on head-fi to own it. 4/24 never forget.

post your opinions on the sampler and predictions about the album in general. i'm looking forward to a heavy album with influences from their earlier work.

Mar 5, 2007 at 3:45 AM Post #2 of 50
They're already pre-selling tickets to the US tour dates!

Man, you've got some catching-up to do!
biggrin.gif

I already have 2 tickets to the Boston show!

http://www.porcupinetree.com/

Mar 5, 2007 at 4:14 AM Post #4 of 50
Well, all I can say about the sampler is that it really made me even more eager to own the album. I wish they put up some longer snippits, but it is what it is.

It sounds a lot like Mr. Liefson in the first cut, do you have any info on who's playing on which track?

I really hope they do some sort of pre-order thing like they did with the DVD. I wouldn't be so sure you'll be the first one to own it... I've got my finger on the trigger too!
biggrin.gif

Mar 5, 2007 at 5:37 AM Post #5 of 50
message to steven wilson: please for the love of God, revisit the "voyage 34" "up the downstair" "staircase infinities" and "the sky moves sideways" period!

pretty please!!!!!

Mar 5, 2007 at 9:39 AM Post #6 of 50
it seems so far
rolleyes.gif
I got a feeling that it's going be a great album , and i know it's not a big gamble , after all it's Porcupine Tree , but still .. i just know it's gonna rock .

Album of the year !
biggrin.gif

after it will come out , Head-fi will be filled with disscussions , "is it or isn't as good as Deadwing" ...

Mar 6, 2007 at 3:25 AM Post #7 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by nelamvr6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, all I can say about the sampler is that it really made me even more eager to own the album. I wish they put up some longer snippits, but it is what it is.

It sounds a lot like Mr. Liefson in the first cut, do you have any info on who's playing on which track?

I really hope they do some sort of pre-order thing like they did with the DVD. I wouldn't be so sure you'll be the first one to own it... I've got my finger on the trigger too!
biggrin.gif

Hey Nat,
Theres a high chance I might be going to that show, want to hit a bar afterwards?
biggrin.gif

Mar 6, 2007 at 5:33 PM Post #8 of 50
I just checked the myspace page. Its friggin awesome. The first song was good but I didnt go nuts about it.

But then it starts pickin up. Its gonna pwn so much. The highlight was the fast part somwhere between 2:30 and 3:00. I went OMG!!!ROXORZ \m/ and the slow song around 4:00 and the other fast bit close to 5:00. Well damn the whole thing rulez!

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:21 PM Post #9 of 50
Anyone excited about the fact it will probably be in DVD-A/ DTS. The other 3 albums by PT are amazingly well recorded, especially In Absentia! It is so great to be an audiophile and into prog/ metal. Now if we could only get audio manufacturers to test equipment with this music so we don't have to search high and low to find an amp that can actually track a heavily distorted guitar!

Mar 6, 2007 at 6:33 PM Post #10 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by HiFi FOR METAL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone excited about the fact it will probably be in DVD-A/ DTS. The other 3 albums by PT are amazingly well recorded, especially In Absentia! It is so great to be an audiophile and into prog/ metal. Now if we could only get audio manufacturers to test equipment with this music so we don't have to search high and low to find an amp that can actually track a heavily distorted guitar!

Not to rain on your parade but Deadwing (CD) isn't particularly well recorded. The first track is an example of a track that clips like crazy:

111pm6.png

And the rest of the album isn't much better. Is the DVD-A superior?

PT is great music, but its mastering isn't something to be looked highly at.

Mar 6, 2007 at 11:08 PM Post #11 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Is the DVD-A superior?

PT is great music, but its mastering isn't something to be looked highly at.

The mastering on their DVD-As are in fact quite good (saving some bass volume issues on In Absentia). Here's the same title track from the DVD-A, maybe still a bit of clipping but not near as bad:

I'm definitely hoping the new album comes out on DVD-A too. The Stupid Dream DVD-A remaster was so well done I'm hoping they do the same for Lightbulb Sun soon too.

Mar 7, 2007 at 12:23 AM Post #12 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by fyrfytrhoges /img/forum/go_quote.gif
message to steven wilson: please for the love of God, revisit the "voyage 34" "up the downstair" "staircase infinities" and "the sky moves sideways" period!

pretty please!!!!!

try out other Steven Wilson projects, they're pretty ambient and trippy. Bass Communion in particular...

also: the only complaint i have with PT mastering is definitely the dynamics pictured in those two scans; i've never heard clipping or lack of tone body from a PT cd though.

Mar 7, 2007 at 2:48 AM Post #13 of 50
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey Nat,
Theres a high chance I might be going to that show, want to hit a bar afterwards?
biggrin.gif

Sure! But I won't be able to hit it too hard, I'll still have to drive home. Drop me a PM!
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2007 at 3:03 AM Post #14 of 50
I just saw the latest new on the new album:

Quote:

Originally Posted by http://www.porcupinetree.com/news.cfm
The album is being released in 2 different forms; the first is a regular crystal case edition with a 12 page booklet. The second is a deluxe 2 disc set, which contains the stereo CD, and a full 5.1 surround sound mix of the album on DVDV (which also includes 24 bit high resolution stereo).

I'm kind of worried that they specifically mention the 5.1 mix is a DVD-V disc. I hope this doesn't mean they've abandoned DVD-As. :-/

Mar 24, 2007 at 4:30 AM Post #15 of 50
Holy Crapola!
I just happened to take a look at this thread-and realized that tix were already on sale.
Hopped over to ticketmaster and bought four tickets to the New York show at the Nokia Theater!
I dont know how its not sold out-im stoked.

EDIT: BTW, I only have 3 albums: Lightbulb Sun, Inabsentia and Deadwing.
Which album should I get next (prior to the new release)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back