Porcupine Tree - "The Incident"
Jul 10, 2009 at 4:27 PM Post #77 of 431
Jul 10, 2009 at 5:31 PM Post #78 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I love the new OSI album.

There's also a new project (Guilt Machine) with Arjen Lucassen and Chris Maitland (Ex-PT drummer)

Guilt Machine on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

Really?? Man, I heard something by Arjen Lucassen a long time ago and I was never able to find it again. It was one album he did and I have no idea what it's called but I know if I had heard it I would remember (maybe not anymore). I'll definitely check this out.

Maitland was good, not technically as able as Gavin Harrison is though. You know why Chris got kicked out of the band, don't you?

Jul 10, 2009 at 5:58 PM Post #79 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really?? Man, I heard something by Arjen Lucassen a long time ago and I was never able to find it again. It was one album he did and I have no idea what it's called but I know if I had heard it I would remember (maybe not anymore). I'll definitely check this out.

Maitland was good, not technically as able as Gavin Harrison is though. You know why Chris got kicked out of the band, don't you?

Ayreon maybe ?

No I have never heard what happened with Maitland? and I agree with you that Gavin is a better drummer.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:07 PM Post #80 of 431
Quote:

I'm so glad there are fellow Porcupine Tree fans out there. I own pretty much everything in their catalog and even have a sealed copy of Recordings. I was not happy with FOABP at all. It was a major let down and although the mini Nil Recurring album was better, it still wasn't PT quality. SW's Insurgentes was great but it wasn't very linear and there are only so many times you can listen to it. I love Blackfield, too. I pass on No-Man, IEM and Bass Communion and can do without his Cover Version series.

Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about PT's output too. I think their best so far has to be "In Absentia", with "Deadwing" & "Lightbulb Sun" following up. Wasn't too thrilled by FOABP, though perfectly listenable. Whatever, Steve Wilson is a national bloody treasure as far as I'm concerned. He has such a prolific & high quality output, really cares about the mastering process and is a real exponent of 5.1 mixes, so I'll be a fan for life. Oh, and what he did for Opeth with "Blackwater Park" was turn them into one of the best in their genre imho. I'm a little bit excited to be seeing PT live for the first time in October in Bristol. Woohoo! Just gonna have to put the new CD on repeat play for the month beforehand
popcorn.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #81 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by pfillion /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ayreon maybe ?

No I have never heard what happened with Maitland? and I agree with you that Gavin is a better drummer.

To the best of my knowledge (and was told to me by someone who works closely with them) Chris and SW got into an argument and Chris wound up slamming SW against a wall.

Since I didn't see it with my own eyes, I cannot confirm or deny this but I tend to believe the source who I was friendly with at the time.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:31 PM Post #82 of 431
Quote:

To the best of my knowledge (and was told to me by someone who works closely with them) Chris and SW got into an argument and Chris wound up slamming SW against a wall.

Since I didn't see it with my own eyes, I cannot confirm or deny this but I tend to believe the source who I was friendly with at the time.

Oh my god. Now I understand why he's out.
redface.gif

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #83 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by pedalhead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah that's pretty much how I feel about PT's output too. I think their best so far has to be "In Absentia", with "Deadwing" & "Lightbulb Sun" following up. Wasn't too thrilled by FOABP, though perfectly listenable. Whatever, Steve Wilson is a national bloody treasure as far as I'm concerned. He has such a prolific & high quality output, really cares about the mastering process and is a real exponent of 5.1 mixes, so I'll be a fan for life. Oh, and what he did for Opeth with "Blackwater Park" was turn them into one of the best in their genre imho. I'm a little bit excited to be seeing PT live for the first time in October in Bristol. Woohoo! Just gonna have to put the new CD on repeat play for the month beforehand
popcorn.gif

I elected not to go to the show this time around, nor did I go to any of the FOABP shows. I did see the shows for IA and Deadwing. My favorite albums in order are Sky Moves Sideways (the original version with Stars Die), Signify, Stupid Dream and In Absentia. Deadwing was good but not my favorite. Steven always has another freakin' "concept" album he feels he needs to write. Give it a rest already. Deadwing was supposed to be based on a movie script about the paranormal and Insurgentes was a soundtrack to yet another movie that will never see the light of day.... I have no problem with themes for albums like serial killers as was with In Absentia, or even the degeneration of youth with FOABP (even though I think the album sucked and it's a stupid theme, and let's not forget he stole the name from Public Enemy's album Fear of a Black Planet). But if you're going to start a project, finish it or just write an album for album's sake. Now the Incident is about tragedy. I don't know whether to applaud the guy or send him a box of Kleenex and a referral to a shrink.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:43 PM Post #84 of 431
Totally agree that you folks in the UK should consider Wilson a "national treasure". Everything the man is involved with from writing to playing to producing is done with consummate excellence, unfortunately rare in this day and age. His works will be among the precious few newer artists that people will still revere and listen to in 25-30 years. I hope folks in his home country recognize (apologies for the colonial spelling error
biggrin.gif
) him at least a bit more readily than people do here in the states.

This is turning out to be a banner year for Prog! We have excellent releases already from Pendragon, Iq, and Dream Theatre, and can look forward to PT and Transatlantic this fall! If I'm not mistaken, I think Muse is releasing a new album this year as well.

Jul 10, 2009 at 7:49 PM Post #85 of 431
I'm having a hard time waiting for this album... so, top posting on this thread am maybe "it" will go away
tongue.gif

I so much like all their work! My faves are still Voyage 34 and Metanoia, but it's not like I'm not into SWs voice lol FOABP is a great album imo and video to title album is just brilliant. So is Hoyle's work... it's just too good, really!

Jul 10, 2009 at 9:00 PM Post #87 of 431
Here's another review of the new album :

Well Roadrunner Records UK and the band held 3 listening sessions today at Air Studios in North London. I was lucky enough to get a invite via the CRS and attended the evening session.

Mr Wilson and Mr Barbieri were present, but Steven was feeling a bit unwell (and no doubt had been chatting to other journos all day), so he didn't stick around for very long after the listening session. Steven did give a little intro talk but didn't really add to what you can already read on the Website or the Roadrunner site.

We were all sat in the main studio in the middle of a quad speaker setup which sounded fantastic, even though, seated as I was on the front-row, I probably didn't get the very best of sound

We got to listen to the 55 min 'song cycle' (i.e. the first disk) and very nice it was too.

I think its impossible to review anything on the basis of one listen, but a few things which stood out were

1) The songs flow was good and there was a certain feel which was reminiscent of On the Sunday of Life - i.e. songs of various styles which bled into each other quite nicely. Early songs were punctuated by the heavy riffing of the opening number, but the later songs transition more smoothly.

2) The longest song - Time Flies at 11:40 was the song which stood out for me. There was a nice long guitar solo in the middle.

3) The oddest song was perhaps the title track which went from almost industrial sounding to pleasant breezy Porcupine Tree circa Lightbulb Sun. I wonder if Frippertronics were involved at the beginning ... but Fripp is not mentioned as being a guest on the album

As someone who like FoaBP but still found it a little indigestible in some ways, I think that this is a more accessible and less heavy Porcupine Tree.

Its gonna take a bit more digestion ... when (if) promo copies get sent out, but I think that there is certainly a little of everything in there for PT fans of all eras.

I'm sure that a report will appear soon in UK publications (print and online) as there were 3 of these sessions and I'd expect that the takeup was pretty good. I'd guess that those who were able to attend the sessions earlier in the day probably had the opportunity to interview members of the band, but having to work meant that the evening session was the only one I could attend.

We were also given a little handout with the lyrics and some details of the album. There don't appear to be any guest appearances though Wes does contribute some guitar - not sure if he counts as a 'guest' or not.

Jul 10, 2009 at 11:03 PM Post #88 of 431
I seem to be in a minority here, but I much prefer the older PT material to the newer. I greatly prefer Up the Downstair, Sky Moves Sideways, Voyage 34, Signify and even Metanoia to all their later albums. All the later albums are good too, but I prefer the psychadelic feel that had in the initial albums.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:33 AM Post #89 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by RationalGaze /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I seem to be in a minority here, but I much prefer the older PT material to the newer. I greatly prefer Up the Downstair, Sky Moves Sideways, Voyage 34, Signify and even Metanoia to all their later albums. All the later albums are good too, but I prefer the psychadelic feel that had in the initial albums.

You're not alone.

Jul 11, 2009 at 2:37 AM Post #90 of 431
Quote:

Originally Posted by xaval /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm having a hard time waiting for this album... so, top posting on this thread am maybe "it" will go away
tongue.gif

I so much like all their work! My faves are still Voyage 34 and Metanoia, but it's not like I'm not into SWs voice lol FOABP is a great album imo and video to title album is just brilliant. So is Hoyle's work... it's just too good, really!

You aren't getting tired of the same old Lasse Hoile artwork? The man has a sick obsession with doll heads and his view of the world is just bleak. I know SW's view of the world is dark and bleak, too, but some new artwork from a different designer might give a little more appeal to the whole package. If these were the days of Tower Records and I walked into the store and saw some recent PT covers (and I knew nothing of the band) I wouldn't even think to pick it up and look at it. At least they have reverted back to simple typefaces which is more elegant, but that might be the work of Carl Glover, not Hoile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back