Porcupine Tree "Stupid Dream" CD/DVD-A available now!
Apr 27, 2006 at 7:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Bleeding Spark

100+ Head-Fier
Porcupine Tree's out of print classic "Stupid Dream" is finally being reissued. Porcupine Tree's online store "Burning Shed" is the only place to buy it for the time being.

http://burningshed.com/index.asp?mai...ge=band&id=103

It's available in two formats, on vinyl, and a CD/DVD-A package.

From burning shed:

A brand new edition of the long out of print 1999 studio album by Porcupine Tree, considered to be one of their best. The album contains PT classics such as Even Less, Pure Narcotic, Tinto Brass, and Stop Swimming, and has been lavishly revamped into a definitive 2 disc set. Disc one is a CD containing a pristine remix / remaster of the original stereo album, while disc two is a DVDA (playable on any DVD player) containing the album remixed into 5.1 surround sound (in DVDA and DTS versions), as well as a 24 bit high resolution version of the stereo mix. Also included are 5.1 mixes of bonus tracks Ambulance Chasing and the full length 14 minute version of Even Less, the promo video for Piano Lessons, and a photo gallery. The artwork has also been completely revamped, with exceptional new images by Lasse Hoile, and a beautiful package designed by Carl Glover. This is the definitive version of one of the essential albums in the PT catalogue.

Apr 28, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #2 of 13
Woot! Finally! Just placed my pre-order.
biggrin.gif

I hope they do the same for Lightbulb Sun and soon.
tongue.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 3:51 AM Post #3 of 13
I ordered one tonight too.

To be honest, I've never heard any of it (I've got Signify, I.A. and Deadwing), so I hope I'll be in for a treat.

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:07 AM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
I ordered one tonight too.

To be honest, I've never heard any of it (I've got Signify, I.A. and Deadwing), so I hope I'll be in for a treat.

Rest assured, you'll be in for a treat!

Apr 28, 2006 at 4:54 AM Post #5 of 13
I love these DVD-A releases! I already have the In Absentia and Deadwing DVD-As and they sound phenominal. In 5.1 surround they really add a whole new depth to the music and I'm sure this mix will be no different.
orphsmile.gif

Apr 28, 2006 at 1:11 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by RotAtoR
I love these DVD-A releases! I already have the In Absentia and Deadwing DVD-As and they sound phenominal. In 5.1 surround they really add a whole new depth to the music and I'm sure this mix will be no different.
orphsmile.gif

What he said! & copy ordered!
Paul
PS - "Lightbulb Sun" next please
tongue.gif

May 17, 2006 at 10:48 PM Post #7 of 13
Has anyone gotten a shipping confirmation yet? It was supposed to go out on May 15th.

According to the website, the entire first pressing has sold out, and they are taking orders for the 2nd pressing. Luckily I made it, but looks like they might be overloaded?

May 29, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #8 of 13
Ok, I got this last week, and to be honest I didn't really take to it, AT FIRST.

Since then, it has seriously grown on me and I've listened to it about 7-8 times.

The thing that really jumps out at me, aside from all the usual great PT qualities, is the drumming. Very complex.

Now, back to listening to it again....

May 29, 2006 at 6:54 PM Post #9 of 13
I'm extremely disappointed with PT's operations as of late. This was supposed to be out a long long time ago with Lightbulb Sun soon to follow. Now it's sold out a first printing and lots of people are having problems with their copies. I'm waiting to order mine until I find how the second printing goes. Also the prices are out of control for those of us in the US.

May 29, 2006 at 7:15 PM Post #10 of 13
What kinds of problems were people having with their CDs?

Mine plays perfectly in my computer, 2 different cars, and the DVD-A 5.1 track sounded wonderful.

May 30, 2006 at 12:08 AM Post #11 of 13
I got mine last week and haven't had any problems with it either. Now that I'm back home from the weekend I'll have to finally give the 5.1 mix a good listen. Even though I've had a listen on fairly poor speakers so far, I've noticed several mastering changes from the original recording and a couple added effects. All in all though, I'm liking the re-release.
biggrin.gif

May 30, 2006 at 12:44 AM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by 3DCadman
What kinds of problems were people having with their CDs?

Mine plays perfectly in my computer, 2 different cars, and the DVD-A 5.1 track sounded wonderful.

There's a problem with the DTS layer on the extended version of "Even Less". It affects all copies that have been released. This problem does not occur on the high res DVD-A layer. Apparently there was a problem in the authoring of the DTS layer.

The problem doesn't affect the album on the DTS layer, just the bonus track. The redbook CD is perfect, no defects reported there.

The CD and the high res DVD-A program sound fantastic, I'm very pleased with the quality of this reissue (with the exception of said DTS glitch, but I'll never listen to the DTS layer). I'm ready for Lightbulb Sun to get the same treatment.

Jun 18, 2006 at 8:04 AM Post #13 of 13
Just got my copy delivered today. I feel that this is the best PT 5.1 mix to date. Steve Wilson has the unique ability to tastefully utilize the 5.1 format and make you realize that 5.1 doesn't need to be novelty for music. I almost prefer (and in some case do prefer) PT's music in 5.1

I really enjoyed In Absentia in 5.1 but though the mix was a bit thin on bass. Deadwing got the bass just right, but the material on Deadwing isn't my favorite PT. Stupid Dream really hits the nail on the head with some of SW's best music, as well as an astounding 5.1 mix. I'm certainly eager for the release of Lightbulb Sun in 5.1, as it may be my favorite PT album.

Ambulance Chasing is absolutely perfect reference track for a 5.1 audio setup. The tribal drum rythym in the beginning really makes me appreciate my 5 matching floorstander setup. I can feel the 12" woofers on the Andra IIs effortlessly providing weight to each beat of the drum and perfectly capture the resonance of the large drums. The rythym swells throughout the room and makes you feel as though you are beckoning King Kong. As the intro builds, each sound effect is distinct and filled with detail. As you hear the last shakes of the rattle a synthesized riff and other eerie sound effects build up and eventually give way to a haunting melody. The smooth, distinct bass line drives out of the center speaker throughout the remainder of the song. The twang of a ghostly guitar rises from the rear speakers and crawls up the rear wall as it drift toward the heavens, only to be met by the sparkling sounds of cymbals rising from the front speakers. Not the most complicated PT song, but a fine example of 5.1 audio mixing at its best that truly makes you appreciate the time and effort you put into building a balanced 5.1 audio setup.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back