Porcupine Tree Reccomendations
Oct 22, 2010 at 4:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

salannelson

1000+ Head-Fier
So, I hear a lot of you talking about PT every now and then and I was thinking I should try them out. The problem is, they have what, 10 studio albums? Nevermind the EPs. Where do I start?

Oct 23, 2010 at 4:28 AM Post #2 of 5
Quote:
So, I hear a lot of you talking about PT every now and then and I was thinking I should try them out. The problem is, they have what, 10 studio albums? Nevermind the EPs. Where do I start?

Their style has changed over time.  Earlier albums were more space-rock, later albums have been heavier with complex riffing. A good place to start is "In Absentia" which is one of the most popular and gives a good sampling of their range.
The mid-period albums (Stupid Dream, Lightbulb Sun) tend to be somewhat more alt-rock.  Out-takes from those are in "Recordings" which has just been reissued.  It is a personal favourite of mine and many others.
Many have compared The Sky Moves Sideways to Pink Floyd's "Wish You Were Here".
If you like heavier music like Tool then try the more recent albums.

Because of the range of styles you will find many conflicting love-it/hate-it reviews on the net.  These are reflections of the individual reviewer's personal tastes, so take them with a grain of salt.

Oct 23, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #3 of 5
Hmm, I took your advice. I don't really care for their newer stuff. I checked out "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Up The Downstair", and apparently I like their older sound. Thanks for the help!

Oct 23, 2010 at 11:32 PM Post #4 of 5
Quote:
Hmm, I took your advice. I don't really care for their newer stuff. I checked out "The Sky Moves Sideways" and "Up The Downstair", and apparently I like their older sound. Thanks for the help!

You may like "Signify" as well.
Please note that the reissued CDs of "Signify" and "Up The Downstair" (2003/2005) each have a bonus second disc ("Insignificance" and "Staircase Infinities", respectively).  In my opinion the tracks on these are as good as the main CDs, so are worth getting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back