Popular/Influential groups in your favorite genre(s) you don't like?
Oct 9, 2005 at 2:00 AM Post #16 of 33
I'm with kramer5150: Prog rock is my absolute favorite, but I can't really get into Pink Floyd. And I HATE the album "The Wall".

I have to admit that I haven't heard anything that came before DSOTM, except "Astronomy Domine", which is actually a little cool in a strange way.

The most I've really enjoyed them is when I listen to DSOTM in SACD 5.1
biggrin.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 4:16 AM Post #18 of 33
Hmmm.... Elvis Costello is the first one to leap to mind. Man, his voice just grates on me...

Oct 9, 2005 at 4:54 AM Post #20 of 33
The Arcade Fire would be my least appreciated popular band in the Indie/Folk genre. I still like them though
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 9, 2005 at 12:52 PM Post #21 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by SunByrne
Hmmm.... Elvis Costello is the first one to leap to mind. Man, his voice just grates on me...

Yeah -- I like his music, but I only once went out to buy an album of his.

Oct 9, 2005 at 1:50 PM Post #22 of 33
early punk rock: the pistols... even though i like public image limited, even steve "i'm a biker now" jones' ridiculous solo album (and his similar collaboration with iggy pop is my favorite iggy album). i respect the pistols for being there first (if you don't count the damned...) but that's it. i don't mind the bollocks, never did
biggrin.gif

80's new wave/early britpop: based on what else i like from that period/region i should but don't like xtc. same goes for new order in synthpop.

90's alternative/grunge:
i don't like the smashing pumpkins at all, and pearl jam does little for me. but in that case it's more a question of majority error
biggrin.gif

the real grunge greats beside nirvana are mudhoney, tad, afghan whigs, and of course the screaming trees (plus soul asylum before they joined the money train and the lemonheads before dando tried to).

singer/songwriter: among the many singer/songwriters i like to listen to there's one who's ranking rather low on my playlist (even though i have a lot of albums) ... bob dylan.

female pop singer/songwriters: aimee mann - i love heather nova, sarah mclachlan, beth orton, thea gilmore, sophie zelmani... but mann doesn't interest me at all.

Oct 9, 2005 at 7:35 PM Post #24 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjjp2
I love grungy, bare bones, guitar oriented, alt-rock, but I just don't get the White Stripes.

I totally agree, I think White Stripes are the perfect example of Emporer's New Clothes. Everyone in the music industry raves about them but their music is nothing special, very generic, but nobody will say it because they want to sound "hip".

I guess it is just the sad state of modern music that people will latch onto any new group as the savior of rock.

Oct 9, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #27 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by kramer5150
My fave bands are Rush, Genesis, Marillion

I wonder why Marillion is mentioned so little in Head-fi. Many years ago, I was still just a kid, went to the Lp store planning to get some music. I decided to purchased whatever they were playing in the ambient music because I liked it a lot. It turned out to be one of the songs in "Misplaced Childhood", only thing I have by Marillion. Now I can't play it since I don't have a turntable, but I remember the music, and also I remember even trying to translate some of their lyrics for English homework.
biggrin.gif

Oct 10, 2005 at 1:00 PM Post #28 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by bjjp2
I love grungy, bare bones, guitar oriented, alt-rock, but I just don't get the White Stripes.

neither do i.
frown.gif

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:20 AM Post #29 of 33
Bumping this thread because I saw the video for REM's "Radio Free Europe" today on VH-1 Classic and realized I never really liked them. REM is one of the most important/influential bands of the last 20 years. I even own a couple of their albums, but they never come out of their cases much. It's not that I think they're terrible. I recognize their excellence, I just don't really enjoy them.

Oct 18, 2005 at 12:30 AM Post #30 of 33
Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat
Bumping this thread because I saw the video for REM's "Radio Free Europe" today on VH-1 Classic and realized I never really liked them. REM is one of the most important/influential bands of the last 20 years. I even own a couple of their albums, but they never come out of their cases much. It's not that I think they're terrible. I recognize their excellence, I just don't really enjoy them.

I agree about REM, I don't get it. Kurt Cobain was so into REM he wanted to leave Nirvana to play with them, I don't see it.

I feel the same way about Tool, I have two of their CDs, I saw them Live, which was AWESOME, however it is rare I sit down to listen to them. I can't understand why they are worshipped the way they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back