Pops,clicks and crackles in WinXP
Feb 19, 2007 at 11:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

joze7205

Head-Fier
Hi!

I have been a lurker for a while now, and now I need help.

I have problem with pops, clicks and crackles when I'm opening documents, open web pages, etc.

There was a similar thread about this here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=218868

But I don't think it solely has to do with the player you are using nor with the runtime level of the player (although it helped a bit).

This is my setup:

foobar2K->ASIO->M-audio Delta DIO 2496->toslink/coax->Presonus CS

I Windows task manager I have even set foobar2000 to runtime priority level. I have also set the sound card's buffer to maximum (2048 samples) both in
the foobar settings and in the ASIO panel for the sound card. It helped a bit, but the problem is still there.

On M-audio's support pages I found these

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...04295aec1f755b

http://www.m-audio.com/index.php?do=...2bd5feb4a16a47

Some time ago I didn't have this problem(lately, I've been tweaking a bit with my computer).

I guess that it has to do with the IRQ settings. The IRQ is shared with other devices. Windows won't let me change the IRQ settings, even with ACPI turned off! I have done it before. I have tried different slots for the sound card, disabling as many devices as possible, but the soundcard still has a shared IRQ(and so does the graphics card).

I don't feel like trying to reinstall Windows again. Why won't XP let me change the IRQ settings?
mad.gif
I'm seriously considering running Linux instead(but I don't have the time right now). Or perhaps I should get a Mac (but I don't have the money right now).

Q1: Does anyone have a solution for this?

Q2: Would this be solved if I had a faster computer? (I have an Athlon XP2000 with 512 MB RAM).

Q3: Are there similar problems with Linux or OS X?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 19, 2007 at 1:51 PM Post #2 of 23
Feb 19, 2007 at 2:21 PM Post #3 of 23
XP runs badly with 512MB RAM. If you want good results, get at least 1 GB and disable the page file. With an athlon, you may also have to disable cool-n-quiet during playback; the ups and downs in CPU freq&voltage may produce noise.

Feb 19, 2007 at 2:25 PM Post #4 of 23
This could have to do with foobar. I experienced the same problem a while ago. I installed Foobar again and it was gone. Be sure to set the correct latency.

If this does not work: (that is if you tried the above)

1.) It could be your harddrive.

2.) It could be the intel P-state transitions. ( or a program like it cool 'n quiet)

So that's the answer to the first question. If those things do not work don't hesitate to ask or pm.

Q2: The speed of a computer should not affect the SQ.

Q3: Linux is great.
biggrin.gif
There are no problems at all. It has a way better audio-architecture than Windows by default. The new architecture of Vista is quite a lot better than the one XP uses.

Feb 19, 2007 at 4:50 PM Post #5 of 23
I had pops/clicks with my A64 3000+ with 1GB RAM. After much frustration it ended up being Cool 'n Quiet, which I had to disable. If you are on an AMD platform with CnQ, try disabling it and see if it helps. I know many have CnQ running without issues, but it was indeed the cause of my problems.

Feb 19, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #6 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by joze7205 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I Windows task manager I have even set foobar2000 to runtime priority level. I have also set the sound card's buffer to maximum (2048 samples)

The priority level is a tricky thing. Paradoxically, setting it higher sometimes results in MORE clicks and pops. I think you mean "realtime" when you said "runtime," and this is not a setting I recommend, as it can totally screw with all your PC operations and lead to slowdowns, especiallly with small RAM you have. I often click between "normal" or "higher" in priority to see which results in less pops.

Also, make sure you are not using resampling, by choice or accident. This can cause lots of problems with pops. Your buffer size is more than enough, but I'm not sure why you can't reset your IRQ settings or solve this by using different slots.

One thing to try if all fails is to defrag your hard drives. Sometimes this helps.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:00 PM Post #7 of 23
First, what are you hardware settings in the Control panel -> Sounds/Audio -> Audio tab -> playback default device and advanced settings (performance).. Device should be the card, highest settings on the performance settings.

What motherboard do you have? Does it have onboard sound? is it disabled?

As for IRQ, try different PCI slots. I used to worry about this with win98.. not sure if it made a difference. Now, I just use onboard sound.

Also, have you tried playback through windows media player or winamp? I'm not sure how foobar is but in winamp, there are setting for the directsound driver that you have to make sure the correct card is selected and not just default device. Also, there is a setting for allowing hardware acceleration which should be used otherwise you will get Rice Krispies in your ears.

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:09 PM Post #9 of 23
I have been using the DIO24/96 in my main systems over the last couple of years. Twice I upgraded to motherboards with non Intel chipsets and twice I ended up having problems with the sound card. In both cases I regretted the money spent and went back to an Intel based motherboard.

I am now running the DIO2496 with the IRQ shared across a couple of devices on a motherboard with an Intel chipset and the DIO2496 runs extremely stable.

The thread you mention is quite different in that it describes problems with a USB connected device. You are having problems with a PCI card.

What type of motherboard and graphics card do you use? When I was having these troubles some time back the PCI latency tool had some impact. I don't know whether that still applies but you can give it a try.

Cheers

Thomas

Feb 19, 2007 at 6:30 PM Post #10 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by xenithon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had pops/clicks with my A64 3000+ with 1GB RAM. After much frustration it ended up being Cool 'n Quiet, which I had to disable. If you are on an AMD platform with CnQ, try disabling it and see if it helps. I know many have CnQ running without issues, but it was indeed the cause of my problems.

exactly what he said

i get pops and clicks when using USB sound..... but after i turn off any Cool 'n Quiet (or other speed/voltage management software) the music is pure and disturbance free!

Feb 19, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #11 of 23
I used to get stutters and clicks and pops when trying to play Guild Wars + iTunes. I upgraded to 2GB and it works like a charm. Might be good to upgrade to 1gb, see how that works.

Feb 19, 2007 at 11:22 PM Post #12 of 23
Thanks for all replies!

I tried to change the performance settings with no dramatic effect.

My motherboard is a cheap cheap non-intel one - ASROCK K7VT2 (VIA KT266A) - running a Athlon XP 2000. I believe I don't have Cool'n'Quiet on this processor.

I can't afford a new computer right now. Perhaps I should add some more memory.

I upgraded foobar two days ago, without any effect. Besides, the problem is there with iTunes as well.

It might be the graphics card that causes all the touble. My old ATI Rage card stopped working recently, so I had to replace it with an ATI Radeon 9600 Pro instead. I preferred the old Rage because I don't play games on the computer anymore and the 9600 Pro needs much more cooling. I'm going to try the PCI latency tool.

I'll try to defrag the drives as well.

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:37 AM Post #14 of 23
If you have an anti-virus program such as Norton or McAfee, that might be a cause of interruptions.

First, look for a way to turn off active scanning by the anti-virus s/w. In Norton A/V 2005, this is called auto-protect. This checks files that are opened and does various background things.

Second, if you are still having a problem, consider turned off your A/V s/w for long enough to do a test. (Don't turn off your firewall though.)

Third, look for settings for buffer size. Increase them and see if that reduces your problem.

Bill

Feb 20, 2007 at 2:52 AM Post #15 of 23
Quote:

Originally Posted by joze7205 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for all replies!

I tried to change the performance settings with no dramatic effect.

My motherboard is a cheap cheap non-intel one - ASROCK K7VT2 (VIA KT266A) - running a Athlon XP 2000. I believe I don't have Cool'n'Quiet on this processor.

I have an asrock motherboard, i found they gave me the wrong driver to download on their site. Try using VIA hyperion pro instead of VIA 4 in 1.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back