Pops and crackles when using Emu 0404 USB
Mar 1, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #47 of 61
Well, that says to me that the Sigmatel driver installation was goofed up.

I'd suggest going to the Sigmatel page and finding out exactly how to uninstall and reinstall the driver. Sometimes installing a new one without following some explicit directions for uninstalling the previous one will result in big problems.

You had to download that driver installer from Dell, correct?

EDIT: Well, I see that Sigmatel sold out their PC audio device business, and that the Dell page for the driver sure doesn't give any info on install instructions.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #48 of 61
Jiitee, do you think that maybe he should do a System Restore back to a time when he knew that that the onboard audio worked with WMP? I have to believe that something goofed up in the driver update that is now causing him problems with DirectSound, and that might be the most direct way to get out of the mess?

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 61
Yes, restart.

Then immediately go into XP's Device Manager when your system boots up. Click the + to expand the "Sound, video, and game controllers" section....see if there is a problem noted with the Sigmatel driver. I don't know if there will be a valid rollback option available there, if you've installed and reinstalled a new driver (never had to do that myself!)

I am confused a bit by the page for your notebook at Dell......did Dell supply some with a Creative Audigy internal card, and others with the Sigmatel? I can only get to the page that shows drivers for all XPS 1710M's which show both. You probably get to a support page specific to your serial number, though, that shows only the drivers required for your specific hardware, maybe?

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:24 PM Post #51 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Jiitee, do you think that maybe he should do a System Restore back to a time when he knew that that the onboard audio worked with WMP? I have to believe that something goofed up in the driver update that is now causing him problems with DirectSound, and that might be the most direct way to get out of the mess?

Sure, that might help ... backing up to the situation before starting to make chances to get rid of those pop/crackling issues ... but not always.

jiitee

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:45 PM Post #52 of 61
Yeah, some 1710's came with the other soundcard, I chose the cheapest one :S

I can't rollback the driver since it has not been backed up, but maybe if I uninstall it and then reinstall, then it will work?

Mar 1, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #53 of 61
Maybe, but I thought you might have tried that already.

What confuses me is the problem that shows up in dxdiag....

Start dxdiag again, click the "DirectX Files" tab, see if any problems with the files are reported in the window at the bottom.

If no problems are reported, try the tab at the far right, "More help", and start the Windows Help's sound troubleshooter. I'm unsure of what it will lead you to do, but it's worth a shot at this point.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:17 PM Post #54 of 61
I did that, but there are no errors being reported. I'm going through the troubleshooter now. But do you think formating the pc would correct things?
I think I'm going to buy Vista soon.

Mar 1, 2008 at 10:42 PM Post #55 of 61
Personally, I've seen nothing about Vista that makes me want to take the plunge. I could have had it for free, as I bought a notebook with a free upgrade a few weeks before the official release, but I never bothered.

Mar 2, 2008 at 9:00 AM Post #56 of 61
Remember also that as most of those "generic" audio/media players are using Windows defaults for audio output ... you need to set the onboard sound as default playback device there in system audio settings to get it working since when you connect E-MU, it will become as default playback device ... if you have not ticked the "Use only default devices" option there.
Now when E-MU is connected and it becomes the default output device .. you need to manually set the sample rate if you're not working in ASIO mode.

jiitee

Mar 2, 2008 at 2:03 PM Post #57 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by jiiteepee /img/forum/go_quote.gif
........Now when E-MU is connected and it becomes the default output device .. you need to manually set the sample rate if you're not working in ASIO mode.

jiitee

Oddly enough.......I have noticed that no matter where I manually set the sample rate in the E-MU 0404 USB Control Panel....literally, anywhere from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz.....and then play 44.1 kHz mp3's in WMP11, the displayed sample rate in the E-MU Control Panel doesn't change, yet the files play perfectly!

Mar 2, 2008 at 3:23 PM Post #58 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by sejarzo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oddly enough.......I have noticed that no matter where I manually set the sample rate in the E-MU 0404 USB Control Panel....literally, anywhere from 44.1 kHz to 192 kHz.....and then play 44.1 kHz mp3's in WMP11, the displayed sample rate in the E-MU Control Panel doesn't change, yet the files play perfectly!

I don't know if the E-MU Control Panel shows the cards internal sample rate setting when you're operating using Direct Sound. IMO, it should. Maybe the "kmixer" does the re-sampling on the fly (as it can do) when hardware expects say 96kHz but the source/player sends 44.1kHz data. Doesn't the WMP 11 use DS or MME path?

Some cards (like SB cards) can even operate with various sample rates at once ... IO guess kmixer (or CT software/driver/hardware) sets all then by the highest SR (i.e. re-samples all to highest sample rate).

I tried this using Audigy 2 and by outputting from
- Beatport SYNC using ASIO @16/48,
- Foobar 0.9.x using DirectSound 2.0 @ 16/44.1
- Foobar 0.8.x using waveout+resampler @ 16/88.2 and
- WMP 9 using DirectSound @ 24/96 source

at once ... quite a mess
tongue.gif
but worked well.

jiitee

Mar 2, 2008 at 4:59 PM Post #59 of 61
Quote:

I don't know if the E-MU Control Panel shows the cards internal sample rate setting when you're operating using Direct Sound. IMO, it should. Maybe the "kmixer" does the re-sampling on the fly (as it can do) when hardware expects say 96kHz but the source/player sends 44.1kHz data. Doesn't the WMP 11 use DS or MME path?

My install of WMP 11 on XP shows only these options under Tools>Options>Devices>Speakers>Properties>Sound playback, Audio device to use: ....... "Default DirectSound Device", "DirectSound: E-MU 0404 USB", and DirectSound: Realtek AC97". No other devices are listed, so I presume that it operates strictly via DirectSound now.

Quote:

Some cards (like SB cards) can even operate with various sample rates at once ... IO guess kmixer (or CT software/driver/hardware) sets all then by the highest SR (i.e. re-samples all to highest sample rate).

I tried this using Audigy 2 and by outputting from
- Beatport SYNC using ASIO @16/48,
- Foobar 0.9.x using DirectSound 2.0 @ 16/44.1
- Foobar 0.8.x using waveout+resampler @ 16/88.2 and
- WMP 9 using DirectSound @ 24/96 source

at once ... quite a mess
tongue.gif
but worked well.

jiitee

Someone posted a while back, maybe Elias in the Benchmark USB thread, that Windows will mix and resample everything to the highest bit depth/rate that is present in the streams to be mixed, and that stream is then sent to the audio device.....or at least, that's what I remember!

Mar 2, 2008 at 5:58 PM Post #60 of 61
The jokes in my test were (as you maybe noticed) that,
- I used native ASIO in one of those players ... AFAIK, Windows can't handle this stream so, it must have been up-sampled to 96kHz by the driver or hardware (or does everything go down to 48kHz?)
- Audigy 2 uses another chip (P16V) for 24-bit/96kHz data

jiitee

Users who are viewing this thread

Back