Pops and crackles when using Emu 0404 USB
Mar 1, 2008 at 7:31 PM Post #31 of 61
Yes, enable it, and see if we can get WMP to play through that first. Best to power down and disconnect the 0404 USB for now.

Once we can get WMP playing again with onboard sound, try a reboot, then reconnect and power up the 0404 USB, then we'll go into Control Panel>Sounds and Audio Devices and check the settings there again before going back into WMP.

My WMP settings under Tools>Options>Devices>Speakers, Properties show that the "Audio device to use:" is "Default DirectSound Device".....I've never had to change anything there.

IMHO, E-MU is just playing it very safe by suggesting that you disable onboard sound--I don't think anyone has reported any difficulty with the 0404 USB in conjunction with enabled onboard sound once various XP and player settings are all correct.

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:50 PM Post #35 of 61
OK, then, what happens when you open the Sounds and Audio Device applet in XP Control Panel? I'm still assuming that the 0404 USB is disconnected at this point.

Also, just to be safe, make sure that you have completely exited Foobar when trying to run any other playback app!!!

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:55 PM Post #37 of 61
Check if the "Windows Audio" service is running (start run services.msc)

I checked just that as for an example, Beatport SYNC can play audio even this service is stopped ... WMP gives just error message and Foobar is silent w/ DS output.

jiitee

Mar 1, 2008 at 7:58 PM Post #38 of 61
I sure hope it's that, jiitee, because otherwise something sure seems goofed up in his XP audio config, right?

Onboard devices should always show up in the Sounds and Audio Devices applet in XP Control Panel, AFAIK....unless as you suggest, if Halqyon mistakenly stopped the Windows Audio service when trying to fix the pop/click situation, maybe?

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:04 PM Post #40 of 61
Do you recall all of what you did in previous attempts to stop the pop/click problem once we suggested the DPC latency checker? Something tells me that a setting got messed up between then and now.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:14 PM Post #41 of 61
You may know this already, I don't know how many times you've rebooted......but if you reboot without the 0404 USB connected, don't load any player applications at all, and immediately go into Sounds and Audio Devices, what does it show?

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:17 PM Post #42 of 61
Jiitee, should he try to run dxdiag at some point, just to be sure that something isn't goofed up there that, for whatever reason, Foobar can get around, but the other playback apps cannot?

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #44 of 61
I guess what bugs me is that your onboard isn't being seen by all the other playback apps, which seems to be more of a Windows problem.

Let's try this....click Start>Run, then type dxdiag in the box and click the OK button. Select the option to not connect to check for signed drivers (I cannot recall the exact wording) and let dxdiag start up. You should then see a Sound tab, and when you click on that tab, you can then click the "Test DirectSound" button to be sure that the Sigmatel drivers are all OK.

I wonder if installing a new driver could possibly have caused the other apps not to recognize the onboard sound, though, but first make sure that the Sigmatel works fine in DirectSound mode.

I'm guessing here, but it might be that the new Sigmatel driver installation didn't configure properly for some reason.

Mar 1, 2008 at 8:32 PM Post #45 of 61
Quote:

Originally Posted by Halqyon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm using System Restore to check what I've been installing: I've installed a couple of drivers, a wifi driver, new bios and a driver for the Sigmatel soundcard.

What I meant was more along the lines of did you stop or disable any services as jiitee mentioned in post #7 of the thread.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back