Pops and Clicks when Changing Sample Rates in only 1 Channel?
May 11, 2014 at 4:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Jmstrmbn

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, I have had this issue in my system for a while and it has me confounded.  If any of you could offer advice to relieve the issue I would be quite grateful :).  

So my setup is Audirvana Plus going out from my Mac via an M2tech Hiface 2 to a PS Audio Digital Link III.  If I change from a song or album that has a different sampling rate there is the normal quiet clicks associated with Audirvana and an occasional loud snap in only the right channel.  The DAC has a signal lock feature and I believe it gets confused when the Hiface suddenly reads a new sampling rate, especially since the signal is stopped as the sample rate is switching.  This also occurs more rarely in the middle of songs when for some reason the DAC loses the lock on the Hiface.  

For now I am going to try having Audirvana up or down sample everything so now sample rate switching occurs regardless of source material.  I've also set the pause time for sample rate switching to 3s prior to setting a global sample rate which did not help much at all.

If anyone has experience with this kind of quirk I would really appreciate the help!
Thanks!
John

May 12, 2014 at 3:14 AM Post #2 of 5
The input receiver chips and DAC chips normally need 1024 or 2048 clock cycles between switching from the previous to the new sample rate. On some DACs this switching period is muted, in which case you won't hear any clicks or pops. But in some cases there is not muting, so you could then hear these switching clicks.
The CS8416 tends to suppress the switching noise, whilst the WM8804 tends to pass the clicks unmuted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back