Popping when powering on CD player
Aug 22, 2005 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

rapoon

100+ Head-Fier
recently purchased an AMC cd player from audiogon. everything seems to be functioning properly aside from an incredibly loud POP emitting from the speakers when the player is powered on. Ive tried 3 different sets of interconnects, same problems. louder the volume on the receiver, louder the pop. my two other players do not behave this way: the philips (no pop), the marantz (pop, but not nearly as bad). if anyone has any suggestions, im all ears. i really hope it isnt the player, it would be the second time ive purchased a defective peice of equipment from someone on audiogon.

any help, mucho appreciation

-Rapoon

Aug 22, 2005 at 9:49 AM Post #2 of 12
sounds normal. you are turning down the volume when powering up CD player right? all that popping could damage your speaker (impulse response)

Aug 22, 2005 at 10:48 AM Post #3 of 12
doesnt sound normal to me i dont have the players u have mentioned but this pop or ??thump is usually experinced with amps(usually they have delayed on to prevent this) rather then the cd players.

Aug 22, 2005 at 6:14 PM Post #4 of 12
It does sound pretty normal. Turning on any electrical equipment when it's all connected together and to an amp and speakers can cause pops. Some equipment will have better insulation against this kind of thing than other equipment. Some high-end 'Hi Fi' stuff will eschew using such circuitry as it puts unnessary components in the signal path. Another possibility is dirt on the switch in which case you can try switch cleaner or else dirty mains in which case use some form of power conditioner.
It's always best practice to turn the amp on last and keep the volume at 0 or the source selector to off, if it has such a setting, to protect your speakers / cans.

Aug 22, 2005 at 7:37 PM Post #6 of 12
ok... so it sounds like this behavior is possibly normal. Now this behavior only happened when I turned on the player AFTER my received was already on. If i turned on my player first, then my receiver, there was never an audible popping sound.

now there is another issue with the player.

Im playing a cd, get tired of it and stop the disc
and turn the unit off. come back a little bit later
and turn the unit back on. about 50% of the time the player will
not read that there is a disc and reads "no disc"....
other half of the time, it reads the disc, says length of disc, # of tracks
etc.

ANY help or suggestions on this end?!?!?

The seller is offering to take it back, but its such a nice player and it was a great deal. this guy before me... he took really good care of it. i would really hate to loose it.

Aug 22, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 12
welll i called the manufacturer of my speakers. he said it was pretty normal.. nothing really uncommon. just suggested that i either leave the player on all the time or turn the player on first then the receiver. still cant get past this issue with the player not recognizing a disc sometimes. maybe ill pop the case and blow it down. anyone have a better idea?

Aug 22, 2005 at 11:41 PM Post #8 of 12
Just leave it all turned on - My home Naim equipment has been turned off 5 times in the eight years i've owned it, three times whilst moving house and twice due to bad thunder storms!
biggrin.gif
You'll get the best out of your equipment if you leave it powered up - all electronics take time to stabalise when switched on so leaving them on means your rig is always ready for action
smily_headphones1.gif
Btw - did you know the highest instance of electronics failiure is at power on?.. Something to think about
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 24, 2005 at 12:38 PM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by rapoon

etc.

The seller is offering to take it back, but its such a nice player and it was a great deal. this guy before me... he took really good care of it. i would really hate to loose it.

Could be a few things.

dirt on the laser preventing it from reading the disc. You can remedy this by cleaning it really gently with some Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip.
This would happen regardless of whether the machine is newly turned on or has been left on though...

Some sort of software issue with the cd not automatically being read unless the drawer is operated. This is fairly unlikely with a modern machine unless it's really barebones. Not really familiar with AMC.

curious.

Aug 24, 2005 at 3:11 PM Post #10 of 12
Quote:

recently purchased an AMC cd player from audiogon. everything seems to be functioning properly aside from an incredibly loud POP emitting from the speakers when the player is powered on. Ive tried 3 different sets of interconnects, same problems. louder the volume on the receiver, louder the pop. my two other players do not behave this way: the philips (no pop), the marantz (pop, but not nearly as bad). if anyone has any suggestions, im all ears. i really hope it isnt the player, it would be the second time ive purchased a defective peice of equipment from someone on audiogon.

any help, mucho appreciation

-Rapoon

Art: Noise turning on a CDP?

Never had this with any CD player I have owned (about 9).

I just now tried it with my Eastsound E5 just to be sure.

Preamp and amp (Classe') on, volume to normal setting, then turn on Eastsound - silence.

Then connect up headphone (Sony SA5000) to headphone amp (Ming Da MC66AE tube) and turn on to normal volume level, put on headphone in quiet room, turn on headphone amp - silence.

Can't even tell I turned the CDP on.

You have a muting problem in your CD player switch - turn it on before you turn anything else on - only turn on receiver after the CD player is on.

Aug 24, 2005 at 3:15 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

ok... so it sounds like this behavior is possibly normal. Now this behavior only happened when I turned on the player AFTER my received was already on. If i turned on my player first, then my receiver, there was never an audible popping sound.

etc.

Laser or laser preamp possibly going bad.

Leave the CDP on if you plan to go back within 8 hours - in fact leave the whole system on.

New laser doesn't cost much. Taking the transport out is easy - disconnect cables and unscrew its mounting, then find the lock of the tray and release it to fully remove tray from transport, then laser unit is removed.

Eastsound owners contact me for detailed instructions on their units in the future - if they ever have problems with disk reading, etc.

Aug 24, 2005 at 3:21 PM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by memepool
Could be a few things.

dirt on the laser preventing it from reading the disc. You can remedy this by cleaning it really gently with some Isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip.
This would happen regardless of whether the machine is newly turned on or has been left on though...

Some sort of software issue with the cd not automatically being read unless the drawer is operated. This is fairly unlikely with a modern machine unless it's really barebones. Not really familiar with AMC.

curious.

Good points.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back