Popping sounds when typing
Jun 7, 2006 at 10:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

zle83

100+ Head-Fier
I have been experiencing popping sounds whilst typing for a long time now. I have tried several things to reslove this issue. I have adjusted file buffer size in foobar2000 (the newest beta version). I have set windows sounds to "No Sound." I have ajusted process priorities and attempted adjusting the PCI latency for the Chaintech A710 card that I have. I have heard that it may have to do with my chipset (AMD XP 3200+) with the nForce 2 mobo. Some have suggested that I move my Chaintech to a different PCI slot which I have done; however, this did not resolve the problem. I am about to try a different keyboard to see if that is the case (I doubt it). Any suggesstions/resolutions to my problem would be greatly appreciative. Thanks!
confused.gif

Jun 7, 2006 at 11:03 PM Post #2 of 17
And that is why I don't use envy 24 based cards.
frown.gif

I'm guessing you have a sata hard drive and a SiImage 3112/3114 on board chipset?

I've got an asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboard and had to return an m-audio audiophile 2496 card because of similar issues. For added fun, run defrag and tell it to analyze your drive while you're playing music.

Using an echo audio mia midi card now. Sucks badly for games, and I'm not sure what the more golden eared among us think of the analog sections, but it'll do bit perfect spdif over coax, so I'm set.

Using an ATA drive instead of SATA might help, using the nforce ethernet controller instead of the marvell garbage most vendors throw on will help too. (the built in nforce ethernet is actually really good wrt bus latency)

I doubt moving the card will help, I know changing the keyboard won't. Your cheapest option is probably a new soundcard. Maybe go with something firewire or USB, they probably won't make the same foolish assumptions about bus latency that the envy24 does.

Good luck.

Jun 8, 2006 at 12:16 AM Post #3 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by ManMower
And that is why I don't use envy 24 based cards.
frown.gif

I'm guessing you have a sata hard drive and a SiImage 3112/3114 on board chipset?

I've got an asus a7n8x-e deluxe motherboard and had to return an m-audio audiophile 2496 card because of similar issues. For added fun, run defrag and tell it to analyze your drive while you're playing music.

Using an echo audio mia midi card now. Sucks badly for games, and I'm not sure what the more golden eared among us think of the analog sections, but it'll do bit perfect spdif over coax, so I'm set.

Using an ATA drive instead of SATA might help, using the nforce ethernet controller instead of the marvell garbage most vendors throw on will help too. (the built in nforce ethernet is actually really good wrt bus latency)

I doubt moving the card will help, I know changing the keyboard won't. Your cheapest option is probably a new soundcard. Maybe go with something firewire or USB, they probably won't make the same foolish assumptions about bus latency that the envy24 does.

Good luck.

I have a nForce2 motherboard and a AMD Athalon XP3200+ proc. My system is a little over 3 years old and has been nothing but great to me with the exception of this problem. I upped the PCI Latency from 32 to 248 and that seemed to elminate 80% of the popping which is great! I actually have an IDE hardrive not SATA. That is how old this system is haha. It came with an integrated audio/video; however, I upgraded to a Chaintech AV710 soundcard. I think it was a combination of turning off some display effects and the PCI latency increase. The popping sill happens occasionally; however, it is reduced. Of course i will have to upgrade in the next year. Most likely I will start with the Mobo and move from IDE to SATA along with replace the Proc. The ram i will prob just keep (1GB DDR 400 (s x 512)).

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:38 AM Post #4 of 17
Seriously, try another keyboard. I had the same problem with my Terratec card and nForce2 mobo. I had interference with an old PS/2 keyboard but when i got a new USB keyboard the popping and crackling was gone!

Appearantly the old keyboard was leaking electricity.
eek.gif

Jun 8, 2006 at 3:25 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Slogra
Seriously, try another keyboard. I had the same problem with my Terratec card and nForce2 mobo. I had interference with an old PS/2 keyboard but when i got a new USB keyboard the popping and crackling was gone!

eek.gif

Is there a converter out there that converts from PS/2 to USB becauase I have several keyboards lieing around in my office; however, none of them are USB keyboards. If i cant get one under 20 bucks i would probably go for it. On the other hand, I was able to eliminate a gread deal of the popping due to upping the PCI latency.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:30 PM Post #6 of 17
I haven't experimenten with more keyboards but simply using another PS/2 keyboard might fix the problem too. And i'm not sure if a PS/2->USB adapter will fix the problem... it might though. You'll just have to try some different keyboards.

Jun 8, 2006 at 7:41 PM Post #7 of 17
Quote:

I haven't experimenten with more keyboards but simply using another PS/2 keyboard might fix the problem too. And i'm not sure if a PS/2->USB adapter will fix the problem... it might though. You'll just have to try some different keyboards.

Well i will give it a try tonight and I will let you know if it worked. Thanks.

Jun 9, 2006 at 6:14 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by zle83
Well i will give it a try tonight and I will let you know if it worked. Thanks.

Not quite tested it out. Got in late tonight... well get back with you later haha

Jun 9, 2006 at 7:12 PM Post #9 of 17
Just run an external DAC... no obnoxious bus noise from those.

I've had some better or worse luck with built-in and PCI sound cards over the years. The card on my asus a7n8x-e deluxe is really bad, even my old sound blaster Live 5.1 has some bus noise in that system (it didn't on the last board it was on).

The PC noise is really annoying... but can be completely eliminated with an external device.

Jun 14, 2006 at 5:06 AM Post #10 of 17
Quote:

eek.gif

Thanks man... the usb keyboard seemed to do the trick. A friend of mine had one lieing around... it is a total piece of crap but at least there is a USB port on it for my mouse. That way i am not wasting any usb ports.

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #11 of 17
nForce2 boards were notorious for strange problems when the APIC was used. (I mean, ordinary keyboard controllers had been used for ages and never caused any trouble with PCI access.) I've read something about faulty MPS tables being the reason, which would explain why performing a BIOS update may solve such issues. So I'd do that (also check whether Delayed Transactions are on, but they should be with such a modern board); if there still is crackling with a PS/2 keyboard connected afterwards, change the HAL to an ACPI non-APIC type ("ACPI PC" instead of "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"), which is likely to require a repair install. This board generation was one of the first to employ APICs in a single processor configuration, and possibly whoever wrote the MPS code didn't have much experience with previously dually specific BIOS code.

Jun 14, 2006 at 6:41 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
nForce2 boards were notorious for strange problems when the APIC was used. (I mean, ordinary keyboard controllers had been used for ages and never caused any trouble with PCI access.) I've read something about faulty MPS tables being the reason, which would explain why performing a BIOS update may solve such issues. So I'd do that (also check whether Delayed Transactions are on, but they should be with such a modern board); if there still is crackling with a PS/2 keyboard connected afterwards, change the HAL to an ACPI non-APIC type ("ACPI PC" instead of "ACPI Uniprocessor PC"), which is likely to require a repair install. This board generation was one of the first to employ APICs in a single processor configuration, and possibly whoever wrote the MPS code didn't have much experience with previously dually specific BIOS code.

Well, the USB keyboard seemed to have solved the botheration (popping noises while typing); however, it would be nice to use the Logitech PS/2 keyboard I have because it is a "quiet key" keyboard and it is far superior in general. What is the HAL? And where in the BIOS can i find this APIC setting? Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

Jun 14, 2006 at 9:08 PM Post #13 of 17
To change this setting is to go to device manager, open up the 'computer' device and go to the properties of the 'ACPI Uniprocessor'. Then choose driver > update driver > (select the advanced option, 2nd one) > (choose not to search) > now select 'Advanced Config (ACPI).

This is simply the way to change the PC setting, however you may or may not experience other problems setting your PC to this mode (for example my Revo 5.1 soundcard used to have strange behaviour). The reason I had to initially set my PC to this mode was because I used to have a Soundblaster Live, which is not APIC compatible and used to stutter and skip using ACPI Uniprocessor mode.

Edit: I thought I'd also add that you cannot revert back to ACPI Uniprocessor mode after setting your computer to ACPI. It would require a reinstall.

Jun 14, 2006 at 9:59 PM Post #14 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by lordgibbness
To change this setting is to go to device manager, open up the 'computer' device and go to the properties of the 'ACPI Uniprocessor'. Then choose driver > update driver > (select the advanced option, 2nd one) > (choose not to search) > now select 'Advanced Config (ACPI).

This is simply the way to change the PC setting, however you may or may not experience other problems setting your PC to this mode (for example my Revo 5.1 soundcard used to have strange behaviour). The reason I had to initially set my PC to this mode was because I used to have a Soundblaster Live, which is not APIC compatible and used to stutter and skip using ACPI Uniprocessor mode.

Edit: I thought I'd also add that you cannot revert back to ACPI Uniprocessor mode after setting your computer to ACPI. It would require a reinstall.

Thanks, I will give that a try. I will let you know what happens.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back