popping noise when i turn on computer, goes away when i play something
Apr 1, 2016 at 7:24 PM Post #16 of 27
i wanted to update this thread in case someone else is having a similar problem - i forgot that i had my o2odac on a usb 3.0 port lol, and then later i went to change some things inside my computer and i plugged it back in a usb 2.0 port and that is when i started having these issues. funny, because i only have 2 usb 3.0 ports on my computer and normally i avoid them because they seem to do more harm than good, but they work very well with my o2odac and i like being able to just shut my powerstrip off after i shutdown my computer rather than having to flip all the switches for my stuff.

sofa sogood.

Apr 1, 2016 at 8:34 PM Post #17 of 27
update: ok so it turned out it was not the usb 3.0 but i forgot that i did a clean install a while ago and forgot to download + install my mobo drivers  
redface.gif

lot of people have a bad habit of thinking "oh its working it must be fine!" but always always always get the official mobo drivers from the manufacture when you do a clean install of windows to make things seamless :D 

Apr 2, 2016 at 3:31 AM Post #18 of 27
  update: ok so it turned out it was not the usb 3.0 but i forgot that i did a clean install a while ago and forgot to download + install my mobo drivers  
redface.gif

lot of people have a bad habit of thinking "oh its working it must be fine!" but always always always get the official mobo drivers from the manufacture when you do a clean install of windows to make things seamless :D 

This is why I like Win10 + mainstream motherboards, it generally just includes your drivers in the updates so you don't need to worry about it.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:40 AM Post #19 of 27
This sounds like a driver problem from the very beginning.
I do not have a DAC myself, so I am not sure if those are plug-and-play or use some kind of drivers.
If they don't need drivers, maybe next time try a live CD of Ubuntu and see if the problem with your equipment persists?

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:48 AM Post #20 of 27
  This is why I like Win10 + mainstream motherboards, it generally just includes your drivers in the updates so you don't need to worry about it.

This sounds like a driver problem from the very beginning.
I do not have a DAC myself, so I am not sure if those are plug-and-play or use some kind of drivers.
If they don't need drivers, maybe next time try a live CD of Ubuntu and see if the problem with your equipment persists?

yeah i use windows 10 and have a pretty popular motherboard (gigabyte ds3p) - thing is you still gotta get the drivers that control how the motherboard interfaces with usb and audio devices, because even though the o2odac works plug and play without any additional drivers via WASAPI, sometimes you need to get the mobo drivers from the manufacturer otherwise you have the problems i was having. its morning now and i have turned off and on the computer several times and its working perfectly now :D 

Apr 2, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #21 of 27
It could be in the optional updates, I also use a Gigabyte motherboard and it downloads them for me, I think it's the same driver.

WASAPI works without drivers kinda' by definition (unless it's something that requires you to jump through some additional loopholes), but it can't do its thing if USB itself isn't working along with it.

Anyway, glad your issue got fixed aaaand glad I was made aware of something in the whole process... I need the "The more you know" text here.

Apr 2, 2016 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 27
  It could be in the optional updates, I also use a Gigabyte motherboard and it downloads them for me, I think it's the same driver.

WASAPI works without drivers kinda' by definition (unless it's something that requires you to jump through some additional loopholes), but it can't do its thing if USB itself isn't working along with it.

Anyway, glad your issue got fixed aaaand glad I was made aware of something in the whole process... I need the "The more you know" text here.

yeah lol, thanks for the input! also my case may be more unique because the front panel usb ports on my computer act kinda screwy a lot of times and a lot of times i forget and put stuff in them and it makes other stuff act screwy so i try to make it a habit to avoid those ports, things seem to go a lot better when i do. 

Apr 2, 2016 at 8:27 PM Post #23 of 27
im really stressing this...

but i been doing tests with my e10k, original odac, o2odac, and audioengine d1 and i have this theory that if a dac has a on/off/power switch like the d1 or e10k, instead of the odac, it works a lot seamlessly, where as with the odac and o2odac combo i am having this weird problem.... :frowning2: sad cus i truly lived by o2odac being the best thing on the planet and nwavguy becoming martyred by the schiit guys...but i think i really have to go chinese nfb-11 next....god dang it!! i really am losing all my money. but with my depression and anxiety and mental illness and all the bad things that have been happening to me recently i feel like i could snap any second so i think the nfb-11 will help soothe me a bit... but i know it wont cus there is always something in life thats gonna  piss me off and i need to learn to be less sensitive to things and act more logically, but whatever, just trying to get through the days until i can die and be with my angel girlfriend in my perfect heaven and even if there is no heaven believing that helps me get through the days and thats all that matters cus even if there is no heaven and we just die and stop existing, i wont be disappointed cus i wont be existing but if it helps me get through these days then its real enough. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 10:25 AM Post #24 of 27
ok i did some more testing, and it seems like when i use a dac/amp with a power switch like the e10k or d1 it works just fine, but when i use my o2odac i need to wait until my monitor light turns yellow after i turn on my powerstrip before i hit the computer power on button which is like 15 seconds....where as the e10k/d1 i can turn on my powerstrip then punch the power button on the computer and it works just fine. 

Apr 3, 2016 at 4:39 PM Post #25 of 27
  ok i did some more testing, and it seems like when i use a dac/amp with a power switch like the e10k or d1 it works just fine, but when i use my o2odac i need to wait until my monitor light turns yellow after i turn on my powerstrip before i hit the computer power on button which is like 15 seconds....where as the e10k/d1 i can turn on my powerstrip then punch the power button on the computer and it works just fine. 

Hmmm, something similar can sometimes happen with my Oehlbach. If the computer powers up the USB ports later than I turn it on (for example pushing the power button on the PC and then immediately on the Oehlbach, but the USB isn't powered yet), it doesn't work, I need to turn it off and on again. I heard that it's not uncommon for USB devices with "shabby" drivers. I read online that many Chinese products have similar issues.

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:14 AM Post #26 of 27
i wanted to wait a whole day before i updated this thread with another "solution!" that didn't work - but i think im in  the clear now and that it is working good now.

so basically after i got my mobo drivers, my o2odac stopped acting crazy, but then i still had the problem of turning  on the computer and it not playing sound intermittently...but then i decided to go back to step 1 and try another usb slot, and that seems to have fixed the problem. so it seems it was a combination of a screwy usb slot and not having the mobo drivers.

now i can turn my power strip on and off 50 times in a row, throw it in a lake of lava, bring it back - and turn on the power stip and punch the power button right away, and my o2odac still plays sound :D 

Apr 4, 2016 at 6:23 AM Post #27 of 27
This is exactly why I don't use the front panel or the 3.0 slots. There are more connectors involved when using the front panel, so there's basically more room for error. I learned that the hard way having an imperfect connection between these two after a wire got shot. It used to turn my stuff on and off as it felt like it. Was really annoying and unfortunately it took me waaay longer to figure out than it should because other stuff kept crashing due to the sudden loss of a sound device. So naturally, I thought the issue was more complex. It wasn't. Bad 3-pin Front USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back