Popping emmiting from PRE Out to Speakers
Jan 11, 2007 at 5:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

neilvg

Headphoneus Supremus
hey guys - maybe you might know about this:

So this morning when I woke up, I heard a strange popping or thumping sound coming from my living room. So I walk to it and realize my right speaker is pumping in and out and making a popping or thumping sound. I see that my DCC2 (preamp) is on even though I have the volume set to 0. I turn off the DCC2 and the noise goes away.

This has happened before to my Krell integrated, and they told me it had something to do with a coupling capacitor being blown. Whatever, I figure it was a rare incident. Well here it seemingly is again, with a MUCH more expensive piece of equipment. Well the EMM Labs DCC2 is a DAC and a PRE and the PRE is going into some MBL Monoblocks. THis monoblocks seem fine and the noise switches speakers if the cables are switched, so this incriminates the DCC2 even more.

The folks at EMM Labs could only tell me to send it in. They have no idea what could be causing it. Also, now my left speaker smells like some sort of electrical burn has taken place

===

Has anyone experienced anything like this and figured out what it was?

The Line Level section still seems to work just fine, it is just the PRE OUT it seems. So headphones can still be connected, or any line level device. But this does rob the EMM of two possible connections, which of course, we were planning on using next week (at a small mini meet at my apt).

How frustrating that this keeps happening.

Neil

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:10 PM Post #2 of 4
Emm is great! I just talked to Jonathan Tinn and another tech at EMM and not only will it get overnighted to them today, they will look at it, do their best to get it fixed this weekend/next week and have it back to me by next week sometime. They are also performing an upgrade to the DAC which should improve the sound even more.

IF this does not get resolved by them, a replacement DCC2 will be given to me just for the meet (which they really want me to have).

smily_headphones1.gif

Neil

Jan 11, 2007 at 6:26 PM Post #3 of 4
You need to rule out the cables as the problem first. I couldn't tell if you had switched your speaker cables or ic's but it sounds like you switched one end only. Next, check all your switches. Sometimes it's just a contact that is getting oxidized. Turn all switches on and off several times and see if that's it ( very common actually ). Mute, phase, selector, and level switches that never get used are the most suspect. Then turn the volume way down and try moving the connection to your Meitner. Sometimes the rca or din female on the chassis will have a bad solder joint that isn't visually obvious and will get worse over time. If your sure it's not the source, that's about all you can try without sending the unit away. To be sure that you send the right unit off, double check it by inserting an alternate source, preamp etc.

Jan 11, 2007 at 7:05 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the tips. I know its not the source since the line level outs are fine and the HEV90 sounds fine, just the speaker rig and anything connected to the PRE Outs. The IC's were tested - i swapped them out (no easy feat they were virtual dynamics, lol)

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

Back