Popping/crackling noises in USB DAC/amp
Jan 18, 2020 at 3:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

rkyou

New Head-Fier
Hey all, new here.

I own a Micca Origen (non-plus) and for the past couple of weeks I've been getting light popping/crackling noises whenever I'm listening to music or YouTube, but it becomes MUCH more unbearable when I'm playing games.

I've done a little bit of research beforehand and here's what I've tried so far:
  • Using different USB cables (I have two others on hand)
  • Trying all the available USB ports on my PC and my monitor (and with the other USB cables)
  • Using a latency monitor - observed nothing extraordinary
  • Using a ground loop isolator - didn't work
  • Unplugging various devices from power strip
  • All sound drivers are updated
  • Reinstalling the GPU drivers multiple times seemed to reduce the noises sometimes, though I can't really confirm this
HOWEVER, when I plug in my headphones into the either the rear or front audio ports on my PC, the noises are significantly reduced, sometimes even non-existent or at least unnoticeable. Weird

Obviously this is not a issue with the headphones themselves.

PC specs (if they're relevant):
  • ASUS Z170-AR
  • GTX 1070
  • i5-6600k (4.4 GHz)
  • 16 GB DDR4 (3200 MHz)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2
I've owned the Origen for maybe 5 years, a bit before I've built this computer. Before that I've used it with some cheap laptop and I don't remember having any problems like this. Only now I've been receiving these issues. I did make some upgrades to my computer setup lately (second monitor, RAM, m.2 drive) though. I have tried disconnecting the second monitor completely, because why not.

Yeah, so I'm a bit lost at the moment. I'm by no means an audio expert. Would this be a USB-related thing? Any advice or suggestions? Would it be time to purchase a new DAC?

Jan 21, 2020 at 10:59 PM Post #2 of 5
So, I believe I just fixed this issue by increasing the PCH voltage in my BIOS to 1.1v from 1.0v

I have a hunch this whole predicament might have been caused by the new RAM I installed recently, but who knows.

Anyways, for people with similar issues who happen to stumble upon this page, hope this helps you out.

Nov 3, 2023 at 6:30 AM Post #4 of 5
Hey all, new here.

I own a Micca Origen (non-plus) and for the past couple of weeks I've been getting light popping/crackling noises whenever I'm listening to music or YouTube, but it becomes MUCH more unbearable when I'm playing games.

I've done a little bit of research beforehand and here's what I've tried so far:
  • Using different USB cables (I have two others on hand)
  • Trying all the available USB ports on my PC and my monitor (and with the other USB cables)
  • Using a latency monitor - observed nothing extraordinary
  • Using a ground loop isolator - didn't work
  • Unplugging various devices from power strip
  • All sound drivers are updated
  • Reinstalling the GPU drivers multiple times seemed to reduce the noises sometimes, though I can't really confirm this
HOWEVER, when I plug in my headphones into the either the rear or front audio ports on my PC, the noises are significantly reduced, sometimes even non-existent or at least unnoticeable. Weird

Obviously this is not a issue with the headphones themselves.

PC specs (if they're relevant):
  • ASUS Z170-AR
  • GTX 1070
  • i5-6600k (4.4 GHz)
  • 16 GB DDR4 (3200 MHz)
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 750 B2
I've owned the Origen for maybe 5 years, a bit before I've built this computer. Before that I've used it with some cheap laptop and I don't remember having any problems like this. Only now I've been receiving these issues. I did make some upgrades to my computer setup lately (second monitor, RAM, m.2 drive) though. I have tried disconnecting the second monitor completely, because why not.

Yeah, so I'm a bit lost at the moment. I'm by no means an audio expert. Would this be a USB-related thing? Any advice or suggestions? Would it be time to purchase a new DAC?
try a different source first, even with all the stuff you've tried, there is always more to go wrong than you expect

Nov 17, 2023 at 9:24 PM Post #5 of 5
Are streaming music? Is so sometimes rebooting the router helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back