Popping and clicking in my new 1212m! Shared IRQ issue?
Apr 10, 2009 at 2:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Telix

100+ Head-Fier
Sigh... I installed my new e-mu 1212m yesterday and immediately was having issues. The primary issue is that all methods of playback in all softwares (MediaMonkey, iTunes, Winamp [using waveout and ASIO]) result in occasional pops and clicks. Sometimes I get pops and clicks when NOTHING is playing back.

After doing some reading I saw that I should try to get the sound card on it's own IRQ instead of sharing one, since that could result in problems. Unfortunately it appears all my PCI slots are shared with "ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller" and I'm wondering if this is the root of the issue.

I have NOT tried the 3rd and final PCI slot on my MB however, but I'm not very confident this will not be shared. This is my MB, btw:

ASRock Motherboard - Product - 939Dual-SATA2 - Overview

Any advice (besides getting an external audio interface)?

Apr 10, 2009 at 3:28 PM Post #2 of 7
I had a similar problem on my previous rig. Only, if I'm remembering correctly, it was the onboard audio!
eek.gif

...and it only occured when I was using MediaPortal--less resource-intensive software made the problem disappear. So I'm thinking it was a latency issue with that particular setup. I hate to say, it disappeared when I upgraded to my current rig--note that my previous rig was an older socket 939 like your current setup.
evil_smiley.gif

Quote:

Unfortunately it appears all my PCI slots are shared with "ALi PCI to USB Open Host Controller" and I'm wondering if this is the root of the issue.

I think this is just the system controller for the PCI bus, so I don't think that's it.

EDIT - I realized it's better troubleshooting if you confirm whether it's your card or your rig--do you have a nice friend who will let you install the card in his/her computer?

Have you tried the following:

1.) Be sure onboard sound is disabled in your BIOS?
2.) Download and install the latest drivers and patchmix software off of the E-MU site?
3.) Swap the board to that last PCI slot?
4.) Try swapping out the PSU?
5.) Tried some of the things in this thread?
6.) Or...this one?

Hope this helps! I know it's a absolute drag when the "new toy" has issues. It's really a splendid card---don't give up!
regular_smile .gif

Apr 10, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Thanks for the reply. If I can't diagnose it by Sunday evening it's gonna go back and then I'm back to the drawing board!
smily_headphones1.gif

Onboard is definitely disabled and I have the latest drivers, however.

Apr 10, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #6 of 7
I have the same issue with onboard and when using my uca202 usb dac. My pc did not have this problem with my audigy 4, which tragically died in a horrible accident.

Apr 11, 2009 at 12:06 AM Post #7 of 7
This is pretty ridiculous... why are all these USB and PCI cards having such severe issues? I'm not at 100% CPU usage or anything, I've used apps to test my latency and all should be fine... what the hell?
frown.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back