Pop v. Soda v. Coke mapped
May 12, 2007 at 3:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

blessingx

HeadFest '07 Graphic Designer
Supplier of fine logos! His visions of Head-Fi
total-county.gif

Interactive map here.

Definitely 'pop' where I grew up (Ohio) and 'soda' where I now live (California).

May 12, 2007 at 3:26 PM Post #3 of 47
Pop? Soda? Coke?

Just to give you the transatlantic perspective.

Soda is just carbonated water. Soda water.

Coke refers to mainly Coca-Cola, but can refer to cola drinks in general. If you ask for Coke and they have Pepsi, you'll just get Pepsi.

Pop? One of the Rice Krispie characters, along with snap and crackle.

The generic name in the UK is fizzy juice, or sometimes juice afaik. Juice usually refers to squash or cordial or fruit juice though.

Impressive map, good to know that money is being spent on such important national surveys.

May 12, 2007 at 3:42 PM Post #5 of 47
I call it soda... map seems pretty accurate to me from my own experience.

May 12, 2007 at 3:48 PM Post #7 of 47
Appears, broadly speaking, about how I imagined it.

It's interesting. Coke is based in Atlanta Georgia. The generic term used could be looked at as spreading from that one focal point.

I keep looking at this map. Newer states like Nevada, Oklahoma, Alaska, and New Mexico use all three terms more than others.

May 12, 2007 at 4:31 PM Post #9 of 47
I prefer Coke over Pepsi to drink, so always ask for a Coke.

I tried asking for a cola in Florida for awhile, but often got strange looks and had to then say "Coke". It amazed me that so many people hadn't heard of cola before.

Another interesting map to see would be "For here" vs. "To stay" and "To go" vs "Take away". Anyone got one of those?

May 12, 2007 at 5:30 PM Post #10 of 47
Soda for me.

Coke?? Thats kind of surprising so many use it as a generic term. I've only heard it used as a specific brand.

May 12, 2007 at 5:58 PM Post #14 of 47
I'm from Chicago, when I moved to Tampa and asked for a "pop", I was looked at like I was an idiot. Now I use "soda" full-time.

Here in Tampa when you ask for an Iced Tea at a restaurant, the waiter/waitress follows up with; "Sweet or unsweet?". That threw me off the first time I heard it.

One of my cousins was sent off to France as a foreign-exchange student by
Penn State. He asked for water there (it may have been tea), and the server asked "With or without gas?". Gas meaning, bubbles I guess, like seltzer water.

Edit: The map shows that the Tampa area uses the term "Coke". I don't think thats right, people use that when referring to the brand, Coca-Cola.

Heh.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back