---> POP QUIZ audiophiles!: Sennheiser HD590 w/ cable upgrade? NOT WORTH IT !!!? <---
Feb 10, 2005 at 3:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cozmo5050

Head-Fier
what bothers me is the fact that Sennheiser uses a 2mm plug? size to where it connects to the left side of the headphone. (why not standardize and use 3.5 mm for BOTH ends of the cable???? )

ive seen Cardas' cables and they are badass, but pricey. (love em')

QUESTION: good aftermarket cables for Sennheiser HD590's? show me, link me, refer to me where to go.

help out a fellow member!

thanks, in advance.

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:08 PM Post #2 of 4
i know that people say cables count... but ok:

u can upgrade the cable that goes from the source(amp, ipod, whatever) to your headphone. and im sure the signal would improve with fancy braiding, more conducive/less corrosive metals, and thicker, slicker insulation.

BUT, the internal wiring running behind each inner side of the headphone's clasp is still OEM! so whats up with this? if i were to use an analogy, it would be like paving a 100 mile highway only halfway. watered-down snake oil u say? hubris?
rubbish? off with his head!

i beg u to prove me wrong and force me to spend more money.
please give me input everyone.
plainface.gif

again, THANKS TO ALL, in advance.

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #3 of 4
Well electron flow isn't exactly like water flow despite all the analogies. Resistance decreases with thicker cables and increases with distance. For just a 9 foot headphone cable, anyone who buys solid gold or silver instead of copper is fooling themselves. Sorry, but the electrical conductivity just isn't big a difference to notice. Not without special equipment. Besides if you make the copper a little thicker it won't matter anyway. A copper grounding braid keeps noise out of the line, but plastic insulation does nothing. I see a lot of people sleeving their cables with teflon flexible sleeving. Uh, what? Am I missing something? TEFLON? Nylon works just as fine, and is no where near expensive. Unless maybe you're trying to make it fire proof or something.

Feb 10, 2005 at 3:29 PM Post #4 of 4
You may want to create a poll on 590 ... Last discussion on 580 cables turned out some 30 pages long.

Btw there are some 45 threads showed up on "590 cable upgrade" search.
icon10.gif

Edit - here's one 'yea' thread.

Personally I think money is better spent somewhere else, at least I'd go for a good amp before trying cable upgrade.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back