Pop-on/off supression circuit?
Dec 29, 2004 at 5:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

null

Headphoneus Supremus
Hey guys. Wondering if I can build me a cheap, high quality pop-on/off suppression (reducer) circuit for my headphones. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Dec 29, 2004 at 6:14 PM Post #3 of 7
turn the volume all the way down when you toggle the ON-OFF switch or add a mute switch to the amp.Any circuit that would supress "pops" would also impact on the sound if it is in circuit.
The elaborate method would be a timed muting relay but seems to me way too much effort when simply turning down the volume or toggling a switch will do.

K.I.S.S.

(Keep It Simple Stupid)

Rickeraptor

Dec 29, 2004 at 7:53 PM Post #4 of 7
Rick - I need more help with this.

I was using a Rudistor RP5 Reference amp that would pop LOUDLY and made me concerned about my headphone drivers...this is an impulse isnt it? with the caps discharging into the load?

How do you implement a "Bleeder" circuit to discharge all the caps once the amplifier is turned off? Can you give me a n00b friendly description of the scheme and what the considerations are? (resistor values? )

Thanks!

Dec 29, 2004 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 7
AI bleeder will not help in this situation GS.
It works way too slow and all it does is remove the voltage from the capacitors faster than they would discharge without it.But not fast enough to remove any pops or clicks.

In really dire instances what you need is a slow turn on delay/rapid off muting relay which allows no signal while the power supply is stabilising and immediately cuts the output off when you power down.This can be added externally if you go "headphone amp-muting relay-headphones" .
If you need to add it internally it can be a b*tch finding room and a secure mounting area.Extra boards floating around are just looking for trouble.

I suggest you contact the amp maker and ask if it can take a dead short to ground for a short period of time,say 30 seconds or so.If yes then a shorting relay will be the way to go.If "no" then you will need a relay that "opens" the amp to headphone connection.

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:43 AM Post #6 of 7
Incidently if the relays are sourced correctly I don't think it would be much of a problem for them to be in the signal path. Using telecom grade silver contact relays I could hear NO difference between the relay in the signal and the output which isn't protected. I did hear or at least believe I heard a very minor drop in clarity with a cheaper generic relay.

Dec 30, 2004 at 1:44 AM Post #7 of 7
Incidently if the relays are sourced correctly I don't think it would be much of a problem for them to be in the signal path. Using telecom grade silver contact relays I could hear NO difference between the relay in the signal and the output which isn't protected. I did hear or at least believe I heard a very minor drop in clarity with a cheaper generic relay.

After all even some of the worlds best amps use relays to select inputs so it can't be that bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back