Poorly recorded albums: name your "favorite"
Feb 2, 2002 at 2:06 AM Post #31 of 44
Can't believe no one has mentioned the Who, whose early recordings are notoriously bad (even Pete Townshend has mentioned how "crappy" they are). But none pains more than Tommy; I love this CD, but it pains me to listen to it with all that metallic crashing and banging.

Feb 2, 2002 at 5:05 AM Post #32 of 44
The worst album with the slickest sound
eek.gif

B00000JCN8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

It took 12!!! engineers to make this piece of crap.

Feb 2, 2002 at 6:15 AM Post #33 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
eek.gif

B00000JCN8.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

I can beat that. What about that one that won a grammy, Natalie Cole sings with her dead father (RIP). Egad, he must've been rolling over in his grave.

Feb 2, 2002 at 6:43 AM Post #34 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by zoboomofo
Beagle,

Whoa, you like the sound of Physical Graffitti? I think it sounds like the tapes were strewn over the studio before they mastered it - especially on The Rover. I'd have to say that our opinions are just a matter of preference then rather than absolute. Don't bother tempting me with equipment upgrades. I've just managed to settle mine down for a while (right after that power supply upgrade.) Besides, I can't reasonably afford it right now
redface.gif
. Don't tempt me!!

Are you listening to CD or vinyl? CD Zep is pretty disappointing. I've toasted Jah many a time while spinning Ten Years Gone.
wink.gif
The sound is not the best, but its pretty good.

Most early Blue Oyster Cult up to Fire Of Unknown Origin is pretty hosed, although I can't speak for the CD releases. To bad, because it takes away from some great Rock 'n Roll.

Feb 2, 2002 at 7:44 AM Post #35 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by BenG
eek.gif

(snip image)

What was it they used to say?....."too many chefs spoil the soup"

The best engineers are the ones that can keep their grimy little fingers of the EQ. Why? Because just as no amout of perfume can make a cow-pie smell good, no amount of EQ can make "this piece of crap" sound good.

Feb 2, 2002 at 9:12 AM Post #36 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by gloco
I cant' believe no one has mentioned The Misfits. Twisted Sister is also up there as well as Smashing Pumpkins "mellon collie and the infinite sadness," it just sounds so bass heavy.

I can't stand listening to Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on headphones for just that reason, it sounds like someone took a flat eq and raised everything below 200hz about 6db or so. Sounds like you're listening to the headphones with mufflers on or something.

Feb 2, 2002 at 1:32 PM Post #37 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by AdamP88

I can't stand listening to Melon Collie and the Infinite Sadness on headphones for just that reason, it sounds like someone took a flat eq and raised everything below 200hz about 6db or so. Sounds like you're listening to the headphones with mufflers on or something.

Ya, it sounds so devoid of dynamics! All the heavy tracks go "boom boom boom" argh, sounds like it was recorded just for radio.

Feb 3, 2002 at 3:39 AM Post #39 of 44
Quote:

Are you listening to CD or vinyl? CD Zep is pretty disappointing.

i totally agree. i recently got zep 4 and coda on vinyl. no comparison to cd, the vinyl versions are better. the drums in moby dick on vinyl sound like another song compared to the cd version.

Feb 3, 2002 at 5:55 AM Post #40 of 44
Quote:

Are you listening to CD or vinyl? CD Zep is pretty disappointing.

Its cd. The cd quality varies also. I've got a couple small boxed sets of their stuff. The one big 10 cd boxed set sounds better.

AdamP88 summed up my thoughts on Mellon Collie... exactly. You are right gloco. Its funny though because I think Flood produced it; he did a much better job for Depeche Mode and U2, but quite right: dynamics aren't great - for all 3.

Feb 3, 2002 at 7:21 AM Post #41 of 44
I also agree with coolvij, Hendrix material just sounds plain bad...its a shame.

Feb 4, 2002 at 12:16 AM Post #42 of 44
Maybe it's my imagination but I have a lot of Motown albums that sound like crap. Nope, I'm not imagining it, they're just bad recordings!

Feb 4, 2002 at 10:29 PM Post #43 of 44
U2 -- The Unforgettable Fire. Probably a mastering problem, but pretty hiss-laden nonetheless. GREAT album, though.

The Police -- Ghost in the Machine. Most of the songs are recorded okay, but "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" is screwed up. IIRC, all the other tracks were recorded at another studio.

Feb 4, 2002 at 10:35 PM Post #44 of 44
Quote:

Originally posted by Russ Arcuri
The Police -- Ghost in the Machine. Most of the songs are recorded okay, but "Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" is screwed up. IIRC, all the other tracks were recorded at another studio.

How is it screwed up? I got my hands on a Superdisc version of the LP.

Metallica's Ride the Lightning was poorly done as well. There's a pretty loud hissing/humming sound coming in from the left channel during soft tracks (like the intro to Fade to Black). It sounds like its coming from the reel taping rolling, pretty odd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back