Poor Vertigo1-- Aqua is no more...
Aug 20, 2001 at 11:07 PM Post #17 of 20
well, I always secretly respected Aqua - I would never listen to them unless they were being played on a radio I could not shut off and had to listen to*, but I like how they MOCKED almost everything mainstream. I mean, some of those songs were damn funny....the first time. However, they soon became PART of mainstream music....and they weren't that good at it...oh well.

In the end, Aqua is dead, Vertigo is sad, and I still haven't gotten my 495s! (at dad's house....damn!).

*like in the car, where my dad allows my sister to listen to "Radio Disney AM 1300" (chicago)

Aug 21, 2001 at 1:45 AM Post #18 of 20
Quote:

Who the hell is "Aqua?", and what the hell is "Barbie Girl?"

Almost fell out of my chair laughing at this. My friend, consider yourself blessed--ignorance is indeed bliss. The humor of this situation can be appreciated on so many levels.

All I can say is that one of the most respected members of this community, the man with the BEST set of dynamic headphones on this web site, not to mention one of the SWEETEST tubed headphone amps ever made, is using that equipment to get as MUSICALLY CLOSE AS POSSIBLE to a minnie-mouse voiced woman singing a weird tribute (or is it a put-down?) to Barbie, the plastic doll. The song has a WEIRD vibe that has "novelty song" written all over it. You just don't feel "right" after you've heard it. Ewwwwww!

Why not "Kind of Blue"? Why not Beethoven's ninth? No... it's "Pac Man Fever" for Vertigo-1!

markl
(I hope he has a good sense of humor. We only kid out of jealousy!)

Aug 22, 2001 at 8:26 AM Post #19 of 20
You guys are seriously highlighting their worst piece of work...even I don't like listening to Barbie Girl, and at marginally best, due to my music tastes, it's passable as background music to me. Barely.

But seriously, the Aqua - Aquarium CD was and still is one of the only CDs I can listen to entirely, from front to back, without ever hitting that skip button once. The worst song on that CD would be Barbie Girl...the rest were just awesome to me. Rarely do I ever listen to a CD without hitting that skip button because one song or another 5 tend to get too boring. I've listened to the Aquarium CD literally non-stop for the past 9 months...I've come to respect them quite a bit as a result. Everytime I got new headphones, Aqua had the honor of going through the drivers first.
biggrin.gif

Sooo...I went out today, and finally nabbed their 2nd and probably last CD, Aquarius, even though from MP3 sampling I knew it was hardly as good as their first album. I was pleasantly surprised though when I cracked open the case and saw the HDCD symbol on the CD.
smily_headphones1.gif

Yes they're a real nut case, as I've discovered even more after just seeing some of their music videos today...the lyrics to their music is extremely funky as well...

So WHY oh WHY Aqua?

Just different strokes for different folks I guess.
biggrin.gif

I've balanced out the wierdness though with some "mature" music...I just received my shipment of Keiko Matsui's CDs starting from her debut 1989 album all the way to her current 2001 album. Sooo...time for some smooooooooth instrumental jazz.
evil_smiley.gif

Aug 22, 2001 at 2:34 PM Post #20 of 20
Quote:

I just received my shipment of Keiko Matsui's CDs starting from her debut 1989 album all the way to her current 2001 album.

Alright Vert.....now you're talkin!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back