Poor man's wireless digital audio transmission?
May 20, 2006 at 1:45 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

sgrossklass

Headphoneus Supremus
You may know these sets for analog wireless transmission of video and audio signals from room to room... we had one years ago, no idea where it's gone. Anyway, apparently these things are fine for coaxial SPDIF transmission over the video part (use composite in/out). Anyone tried this yet, and how were the results?

Jun 1, 2006 at 8:32 PM Post #2 of 6
I have been wanting to try this for a while so yesterday I decided to do it.

I decided to get one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I used a cheap yellow cord wire from my emu 1010 card and go into the transmitter. In one receiver configuration, I used a radioshack 12ft coax to my ART DI/O DAC to amp/speakers. In another receiver setup, I used a shorter interconnect and moved the receiver unit to other part of room to cnnect with panasonic xr25 receiver and my subwoofer. All of these were plugged into cheap power strips.

Sound works fine up to 24bit 44.1khz and 48khz. I don't seem to be getting anything at 96khz though. I'm not sure if it's because the wire I'm using is too cheap but I wanted to test out worst case scenario. "real" good quality digital cables should have more bandwidth.

One thing which is annoying is the RCA jacks dont have much space around it and the plastic around since it's recessed so you cannot use bigger RCA plugs.

Sound quality wise, it's good. The fact it isn't buffered or error corrected may mean you might get sound dropouts. I suffered a little bit of this going to XR25/sub config but only when I walk between *shrug*. I may have to find better placement and choose which of the 4 frequencies is best. It hasnt been so much of a problem yet since it's been infrequent.

Oh yeah I also plan on modding these units
biggrin.gif
Not now though. I must fool around with them some more in stock form.

Jun 4, 2006 at 5:17 AM Post #3 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by lan
I have been wanting to try this for a while so yesterday I decided to do it.

I decided to get one of these http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search

I used a cheap yellow cord wire from my emu 1010 card and go into the transmitter. In one receiver configuration, I used a radioshack 12ft coax to my ART DI/O DAC to amp/speakers. In another receiver setup, I used a shorter interconnect and moved the receiver unit to other part of room to cnnect with panasonic xr25 receiver and my subwoofer. All of these were plugged into cheap power strips.

Sound works fine up to 24bit 44.1khz and 48khz. I don't seem to be getting anything at 96khz though. I'm not sure if it's because the wire I'm using is too cheap but I wanted to test out worst case scenario. "real" good quality digital cables should have more bandwidth.

One thing which is annoying is the RCA jacks dont have much space around it and the plastic around since it's recessed so you cannot use bigger RCA plugs.

Sound quality wise, it's good. The fact it isn't buffered or error corrected may mean you might get sound dropouts. I suffered a little bit of this going to XR25/sub config but only when I walk between *shrug*. I may have to find better placement and choose which of the 4 frequencies is best. It hasnt been so much of a problem yet since it's been infrequent.

Oh yeah I also plan on modding these units
biggrin.gif
Not now though. I must fool around with them some more in stock form.

The reason why you don't get any sound at 96kHz is because the transmitter and receiver don't have the bandwidth necessary to send that signal.

I forgot the exact specs but I think that a composite video signal requires a bandwidth of around ~4MHz and a 16bit 44.lkHz signal is about 2.6-2.8MHz. You can see that a 96Khz signal is much greater then the composite video bandwidth.

Personally I'd be interested in building a wireless transmitter and receiver just for kicks.

Jun 4, 2006 at 7:13 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by goldenslug
The reason why you don't get any sound at 96kHz is because the transmitter and receiver don't have the bandwidth necessary to send that signal.

I forgot the exact specs but I think that a composite video signal requires a bandwidth of around ~4MHz and a 16bit 44.lkHz signal is about 2.6-2.8MHz. You can see that a 96Khz signal is much greater then the composite video bandwidth.

Personally I'd be interested in building a wireless transmitter and receiver just for kicks.

Belkin has announced a new product that creates wireless USB for around $150.00 Supposedly available in July 06. This will support 24/96. Keep Googling and you should find it under CableFree.

Jun 5, 2006 at 12:58 AM Post #6 of 6
Yeah 96khz is probably bandwidth challanged but I read from some other people's experience they have done it successfully. I must investigate further.
smily_headphones1.gif

The wireless USB thing is interesting but I'm using my thing for multichannel and "one" soundcard. Ideally I'd have separate wireless links to my sub and rear speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back