poor mans rich sounding speakrs
Mar 6, 2005 at 3:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

sony_man

100+ Head-Fier
is there a 2.1 speaker system out there that runs for around say 100-250 dollars canadian? preferably one with bass bosst and/or treble control. this is because i hate using the ipods equalizer so i wanted to just control the bass and treble with the speakers. thanks guys!

Mar 6, 2005 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 17
as much as i hate Klipsch in home audio their powered "computer" speakeres are not half bad, and they have a 2.1 setup in that price range which i've heard a few times and for what it's worth i didn't want to run screaming from the room (coming from me, re: computer speakers, that's a huge compliment).

Mar 7, 2005 at 1:04 AM Post #4 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sony_man
what do you mean screaming from the room? lol

He's referring to when your buddies think their 5.1 pc speaker setup kicks ass and crank it up and it sounds so bad, you want to leave the room screaming.

Mar 7, 2005 at 1:49 AM Post #5 of 17
bingo
biggrin.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 2:23 AM Post #6 of 17
Yes, a pair of the regular Promedia 2.1's will do you just fine! They have a new speaker system you can plug an ipod directly into (via a docking cradle) that I cannot comment on, and also a GMX A-2.1 system, which I advise you to stay away from since they have had problems.

Mar 7, 2005 at 3:31 AM Post #7 of 17
i have an ipod which i deeply hate. what about creative? i love the fact that their speakers have a usb port to plug in any mp3 player, plus bass and treble/power/treble control.

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:05 AM Post #8 of 17
Quote:

i have an ipod which i deeply hate.

I will make this simple for you so you dont have to keep posting this.

WHY DONT YOU SELL IT AND BUY SOMETHING ELSE ?

In the immortal words of Homer Simpson's Brain:
"Money can be exchanged for goods and services"

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:26 AM Post #9 of 17
$250 canadian is about what $175 american, just guessing. Why dont you get a seperate stereo receiver or 2 channel amp and some used Paradigm atoms. Or maybe a HTIB and dont connect the surrounds. Throw in another $25 and you might be able to get a Panasonic HTIB.

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:30 AM Post #10 of 17
Also look in the For Sale forums here there is a Sharp CD/Receiver that is supposed to kick *****. Its going for $60 and it has sold out on Overstock.com because of all the great reviews on AA. Spend the rest on new Infinity Primus 150's.

Mar 7, 2005 at 2:52 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by Asmo
He's referring to when your buddies think their 5.1 pc speaker setup kicks ass and crank it up and it sounds so bad, you want to leave the room screaming.

3 or 4 years ago I was one of them.

Mar 7, 2005 at 3:17 PM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

3 or 4 years ago I was one of them.

I think we all were at one time (unless, maybe, your parents were into the scene) because it's relative to what you've heard to that point.

Listening to $10 computer speakers the size of my fist for a while at first made moving to a $50 2.1 Logi setup sound like the world had opened up in front of me.

Mar 7, 2005 at 4:06 PM Post #13 of 17
Someone made me listen to his Bowers and Wilkins CDM 1 SE (or whatever they were called back then), whilst I still was on the low-end creative 5.1.

This impressed me that much that I went straight for the 705 of B&W.
icon10.gif

Mar 7, 2005 at 5:22 PM Post #14 of 17
OK well this is probably overkill if you just care about bass and treble control. Whenever I see Klipsch Promedia mentioned, though, I gotta throw in my 2 cents
smily_headphones1.gif

If you want amazing sound too, look for Midiland S2/4100 aka Diamond Audio HPM-4100. If you find it, GET IT. They've been out of production since before 2000, but some people sell used sets. Can be had for ~$130 (retailed for $500).

2 X Satellite speaker with 4" mid driver and a tweeter, 1 X sub with 8" driver. Preferred over Klipsch Promedias by many review sites (and myself). The way Diamond Audio got the sub to meld with the satellites is amazing - they sound like huge floor-standing speakers.

Satellites are tough cast aluminum, sub is braced MDF. For reference, the control module on top of the sub has a front bezel that is exactly the size of a standard CD-ROM drive (it's designed to fit in a computer bay or outside the case). Pics

4100.jpg

Good luck!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back