[Poor Man Reviews] Audio Technica ATH-IM02
Jul 15, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #76 of 87

For roughly $150 i think the im02 is a steal, if you want a cleaner, more balanced and detailed sound then its a good choice. The only issue you might have is getting a good seal, they dont insert into the ear as deep as the im50/70.

hmm, well, I kinda am having a slight issue with the seal on IM50, it happens when I move my head or let's say open my mouth, there are times when the sound is like blocked but I enjoyed using this... I'm really thinking of getting myself IM02 since it's like a night and day difference... I'm not sure if we have it in store here in our country so that I can audition it first but thanks for letting me know... one more thing to think about...

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:10 PM Post #77 of 87
hmm, well, I kinda am having a slight issue with the seal on IM50, it happens when I move my head or let's say open my mouth, there are times when the sound is like blocked but I enjoyed using this... I'm really thinking of getting myself IM02 since it's like a night and day difference... I'm not sure if we have it in store here in our country so that I can audition it first but thanks for letting me know... one more thing to think about...

Yeh I had fit issues with the im02, my im70s fit great but the shorter nozzle on the im02 does not fit my ear as good.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:25 AM Post #79 of 87
Hey guys,

first of all, outstanding review, man. Beautiful pictures...gets me in a shopping mood.

I'm a musician (we're doing modern rock/post hardcore stuff), looking for a pair of decent on stage in ear monitors. Will the ATH IM02 suffice for that purpose?

A few people in the thread are having problems with the fit/seal of the IM02, that is why I'm asking. On stage, noise isolation is pretty important.
Would the IM70 be the better choice as it sounds more like the classic ATH M50(x) and has a better seal (judging from what I've read so far)?

My band mate owns a pair of Shure SE215 and I already got my hands on some SE315's and I'm convinced there has to be something better for the price range of 100-200€ here in Germany. 

How will the IM02 pair with my Meier Audio Corda headphone amp?

Thanks in advance for any reply 
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 24, 2015 at 10:42 PM Post #80 of 87
Yeh I had fit issues with the im02, my im70s fit great but the shorter nozzle on the im02 does not fit my ear as good.

Not sure if this have been posted. I also have a fit issue with my IM02. I cut out from unused eartip a "spacer" to compensate the shorter nozzle on IM02. Works great, using JVC spiral dot btw.

Nov 29, 2015 at 4:56 AM Post #81 of 87
  Hey guys,

first of all, outstanding review, man. Beautiful pictures...gets me in a shopping mood.

I'm a musician (we're doing modern rock/post hardcore stuff), looking for a pair of decent on stage in ear monitors. Will the ATH IM02 suffice for that purpose?

A few people in the thread are having problems with the fit/seal of the IM02, that is why I'm asking. On stage, noise isolation is pretty important.
Would the IM70 be the better choice as it sounds more like the classic ATH M50(x) and has a better seal (judging from what I've read so far)?

My band mate owns a pair of Shure SE215 and I already got my hands on some SE315's and I'm convinced there has to be something better for the price range of 100-200€ here in Germany. 

How will the IM02 pair with my Meier Audio Corda headphone amp?

Thanks in advance for any reply 
smily_headphones1.gif

Thanks man!

The ATH-IM02 has a fit that makes it occassionally problematic.  I think you may wish to try it out at a local store just to make sure the design works for you.  For me, it works fairly well for casual listening, but it's not something I would take to active use.

The IM70 sounds good, but for me it's not in the same category as the IM02.  It's a nice entry dynamic, where as the IM02 is closer to a mid of the run dual-driver.  

The SE215, SE315, UM 10 Pro, W10 were all disappointing in my opinion.  Costing slightly less (or more depending on where you are) but sounding significantly less as well.  

If you are willing to toss in a few more dollars, would highly suggest you take a look at ER4PT.  The sound is extremely clean and analytical, but it works just fine for me and the isolation is almost unmatched (even by customs).

IM02 doesn't play well with some amps (should definitely try it out before if possible).  There was a more technical discussion on this somewhere on Headfi...but my memory fails me.

Good luck and happy listening!  
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 5, 2015 at 8:53 PM Post #82 of 87
Been looking at it as well, and I own IM50, were you able to get a pair yourself? how'd it fair, is it worth the upgrade? tia!
haven't manage to find one... As its not really a staple and THAT popular of an IEM, but I plan to keep soldier on... Maybe a trip to capital when I have the time early next year~ for now I'm looking into Sony XBA 100, as its said to be the Grado Sound in an IEM.

Jun 30, 2016 at 8:58 AM Post #83 of 87
Really wanna find out more about ATH-IM02 after reading the reviews. I would probably test it over the weekends. The right side of my W3's shell has cracked and the one on the left is starting to crack as well. My W3 has served me well for 7 years and I'm looking for either a replacement or reshell.

Do you think I will like the sound of IM02 as a long time W3 user?

Jun 30, 2016 at 10:53 PM Post #84 of 87
Really wanna find out more about ATH-IM02 after reading the reviews. I would probably test it over the weekends. The right side of my W3's shell has cracked and the one on the left is starting to crack as well. My W3 has served me well for 7 years and I'm looking for either a replacement or reshell.

Do you think I will like the sound of IM02 as a long time W3 user?

For me, Westone sounds really different. It's a bit slow and at times bassy. The IM02 on the other hand is forward, revealing and somewhat jumpy at times. It's an exciting and engaging sound that to me is fairly easy to enjoy. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Jul 2, 2016 at 10:29 AM Post #85 of 87
For me, Westone sounds really different. It's a bit slow and at times bassy. The IM02 on the other hand is forward, revealing and somewhat jumpy at times. It's an exciting and engaging sound that to me is fairly easy to enjoy. Give it a shot and let us know how it goes.

Went to try the IM-02 this afternoon.

I really like its mids and treble just hoping that there could be more bass. :frowning2:

Which one in the series has more bass with the mids and treble of IM-02?

IM-04?

Jul 14, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #86 of 87
Thought I'd reply some months later 
biggrin.gif

I ended up buying the IM02's back in 2015 and found perfect seal with the biggest INAIRS foam tips - they even sound better than the comply one's provided.
And it sounds great! On stage, in the studio and at home.
I would have gone to the store to try them, but the thing is, they're not available here in Germany, so I bought a Japan import from Ebay 
tongue.gif

Especially love how vocals sound on these (which is pretty useful for recording vocals!)
Thanks again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back