Poor audio mastering on DVDs, now?
Mar 9, 2006 at 2:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

trains are bad

Headphoneus Supremus
I aquired a secondhand bootleg disc of the series Gunslinger Girl at a pawn shop, and I liked what I saw even though the quality was terrible--it was obvious why it had been pawned/sold. The audio was excellent, however.

I recently bought the first volume of it from amazon and was disappointed to find that the audio seems to be poorly mastered on the Funimation version, lacking dynamic range.

The difference is clear on a nice system. The impact of the the gunfight scenes has been completely neutered now that the gunfire sounds like something heard through a cheap TV, and not like the very realistic gunfire on the bootleg disc. It's like the Funimation gunfire has been chopped right off.

I am angry that this happened to this promising series. I'm quite weary of the recent trend toward dynamic compression in popular music recordings, but this is the first time I've been burned with a DVD. I wish I knew how to extract the audio tracks and compare them with audio editing software. Is that possible?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back