Pool cue recommendation
Aug 1, 2012 at 1:20 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

AudioDwebe

Headphoneus Supremus
Please help.

I lost to a loser yesterday; it had to have been the pool cue.

I used to have a really decent one a while back but I loaned it to a friend, PCS'd, and well...you can figure this one out.

Would like to pick up a nice pool cue, but have zero idea what name brands to look for.  I'm not looking for anything costing hundreds of dollars.  Would like to keep it under $100, and used is just fine.

So...

What brands/models should I be looking for?

Thanks.

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:45 PM Post #2 of 6
If you can find them, Nova cues are some of my favorites - great playability and beautiful inlay work - but he stopped making them, so new ones on the market are rare. Also, nowhere near $100. 

Under 100:

I'd look at Players brand - their HXT 30 should fall around $80, and plays well, with limited deflection. I also like their no wrap wood models, like the E-3300

Joss, Lucasi, Meucci and McDermott all make good cues with great shafts for the money. New, they'll be over your price range, but they are big enough that there are lots on the used market. 

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:46 PM Post #3 of 6
Not for anything but even a crap stick... unless it looks like an archers bow. If you are good. The cue should never be an issue. Or crap tips or anything.

With that said,

I have a McDermott that i have owned since 92....geezes 20 years old now. Lol. It was about $200 but man is it nice. :)

Aug 1, 2012 at 2:53 PM Post #4 of 6
If the tip isn't in reasonably good shape, you won't be able to control then english, and ball control is going to go out the window. 

But otherwise, yes I agree. The cue is usually a very minor factor in how a person plays. With a little browsing, you can usually find a house cue that isn't too warped, and has a decent tip on it. 

Aug 2, 2012 at 12:17 PM Post #5 of 6
Quote:
Not for anything but even a crap stick... unless it looks like an archers bow. If you are good. The cue should never be an issue. Or crap tips or anything.

With that said,

I have a McDermott that i have owned since 92....geezes 20 years old now. Lol. It was about $200 but man is it nice. :)

Oh, I am excellent, my friend.  Unfortunately, the cue wasn't up to my standard, causing my playing to be mediocre, at best.

Just kidding.

I'm barely above embarrassing myself.

The cues weren't bad at all, but I sort of like having my own for familiarity mainly.  But also in case I want to play somewhere where the cues are bowed and tipless, etcetera.

Thanks, guys for the suggestions.  I found out from someone at work that there's supposed to be a decent place in town that sells quality used cues so I'll check them out.  At least I have some brands to look for now.

Cheers.

Aug 2, 2012 at 3:02 PM Post #6 of 6
I haven't played in years and I'm far from being a skilled player. I have a few custom cues I've bought from a friend who use to sell custom cues and play regularly. I also have my cues from when I first started playing, McDermott and Dufferin makes good cues for the price range you're looking at.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back