PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Jan 3, 2021 at 7:38 AM Post #4,847 of 4,858
Actual signatures? Cool. Post a pic.

Got a bit smudged before I covered them.
Lee Douglas - Anathema
Vincent Cavanaugh - Anathema
John Davison - Yes
Geoff Downes - Buggles, Asia, Yes
Billy Sherwood - Yes

99EDC54C-B989-422E-861C-E6CB32C8FF86.jpeg
99EDC54C-B989-422E-861C-E6CB32C8FF86.jpeg

Jan 4, 2021 at 10:25 AM Post #4,849 of 4,858
It seems for many of us the Pono has been gently placed back from whence it came. A lovely little bamboo nest. Then carefully tucked in a place known... really only to us. We enjoyed our time with it's fair sides. How could we not given it had three? No matter. It's magical sound was all we wanted ....and needed. That sound, still so sweet today. Thank you, Mr. Young.

A lovely poetical image.

Mine however, sits there next to my hifi just feeling part of the audio family, but retired and enjoying time to relax.

I would use it more if the battery would last between uses! For me, it needing to be charged *before* every use (or some strict charging regime) just has it left uncharged (which then kills the battery more.. ).

Still sounds great though. I might make a stand for it with balanced XLR outputs, and keep it as a hifi source.

Jan 6, 2021 at 6:22 AM Post #4,850 of 4,858
A lovely poetical image.

Mine however, sits there next to my hifi just feeling part of the audio family, but retired and enjoying time to relax.

I would use it more if the battery would last between uses! For me, it needing to be charged *before* every use (or some strict charging regime) just has it left uncharged (which then kills the battery more.. ).

Still sounds great though. I might make a stand for it with balanced XLR outputs, and keep it as a hifi source.
Sounds like the Pono needs a new battery. Why not replace it and keep enjoying the Pono Player?

Thanks,
barondla

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:27 AM Post #4,851 of 4,858
I wonder if there is any way to rig up something where you can remove the battery and hook up maybe an external linear power source and then just run it like a powered item. I have zero experience with these things myself. This might have been posted in this thread already but if not this is a battery replacement guide https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Pono+Player+Battery+Replacement/136314

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:34 AM Post #4,852 of 4,858
I wonder if there is any way to rig up something where you can remove the battery and hook up maybe an external linear power source and then just run it like a powered item. I have zero experience with these things myself. This might have been posted in this thread already but if not this is a battery replacement guide https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Pono+Player+Battery+Replacement/136314
I keep mine connected to an external power source at all times. In other words, I just keep it plugged in

Jan 6, 2021 at 10:58 PM Post #4,853 of 4,858
My PonoPlayer is still going. I also have a second one in reserve.

I just got some new headphone for it. A used Audio Zenith PMx2. A modified Oppo PM-2. They sound much better than the stock Oppo PM-2. A great headphone to use with the PonoPlayer. An efficient planar that can be easily driven by portable sources and does great with the PonoPlayer in balanced mode. I got the PMx2 headphones two days ago. Been listening to them today with the PonoPlayer. This is one of the best headphone pairings I've heard with the PonoPlayer.

Jan 3, 2022 at 10:22 PM Post #4,854 of 4,858
A lovely poetical image.

Surf Cables sells Pono battery replacements.

https://www.surfcables.com/collections/extras/products/pono-player-batteries

Apr 2, 2022 at 9:02 PM Post #4,856 of 4,858
To anyone reading this thread: I have two Pono players — my yellow KS and a silver FF I found on EBay. My KS now refuses to boot past the Ayre screen and the FF has a corrupted Nirvana file that locks up the boot process. Both have fresh batteries. Does anyone have a handle on possible repair strategies?

Apr 3, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #4,857 of 4,858
To anyone reading this thread: I have two Pono players — my yellow KS and a silver FF I found on EBay. My KS now refuses to boot past the Ayre screen and the FF has a corrupted Nirvana file that locks up the boot process. Both have fresh batteries. Does anyone have a handle on possible repair strategies?

All I can suggest is that you also ask in two more places: Audiophile Style has given refuge to the last remnants of the Pono forums here, and before that some of those folks also started a Facebook Group here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back