PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Jul 17, 2015 at 2:28 PM Post #3,781 of 4,858
Yeah, with that cable that is such widely available. No, I didn't.  Did not feel like trying to splice cables together or track down cables for it.  I think it is strange that a cable would not be included with the player, especially since it is about improved sound.  You'd think Neil would want a balanced cable included with all the players.

That makes no sense...how would you include balanced cables that work with each headphone and iem? It is ok you returned it, but I wouldnt wait for any earth shattering refinements.

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:32 PM Post #3,782 of 4,858
  Yeah, with that cable that is such widely available. No, I didn't.  Did not feel like trying to splice cables together or track down cables for it.  I think it is strange that a cable would not be included with the player, especially since it is about improved sound.  You'd think Neil would want a balanced cable included with all the players.

problem with that is the cable is different depending on the headphone
i don't see that its possible for an adaptor to work from a 3-wire to a 4-wire setup
its actually pretty simple to make cable and the help threads here are really good
(there are also people here that will make you a decent cable that works and doesn't cost $300.00)

for the record i was very skeptical about the pono but after a few hours listening to the hd650 in balanced mode
this thing sounds pretty freakin good, and for the money i don't think anything else can touch it

also i wouldn't make a judgement based on a few hours of listening, i try to live with something, be it a tablet a phone or a dap
for a month or so before i pass judgement....

Jul 17, 2015 at 2:34 PM Post #3,783 of 4,858

Many headphones are wired differently so there's no way to use a single balanced cable for all. I only wish that were the case. It would have made my 2 month long quest for custom balanced cables and adapters unecessary.

The only way Pono could do that by including a pair of headphones (or earphones) already wired that way. But then you'd be stuck using only that pair for balanced mode.

However difficult, it's worth it. Check out this post to see why:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/728006/sonys-new-flagship-2014-mdr-z7/5325#post_11768202

Jul 17, 2015 at 3:40 PM Post #3,784 of 4,858
  Hate to say I just sent the Pono back to Frys.  Yes, it sounded a little better, but there were just too many compromises I had to make just for slightly improved sound.  I will probably go back if they refine the player a bit more.  Also, the PonoRevealer made the decision easier as I couldn't really hear the benefit of the high bitrate music. Thanks for all your help and opinions everyone.

What headphones were you using with it?

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:26 PM Post #3,785 of 4,858
Doesn't really matter, he didn't like it, he's entitled, should be a "refurbished" model for sale at a good price at some point!

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:35 PM Post #3,786 of 4,858
Please note HDtracks' testing process: http://www.hdtracks.com/quality

While other digital music stores may sell millions of tracks, it's hard to be sure you're getting the quality you expect. With HDtracks, you can be sure any title you purchase is at the advertised quality.

Jul 17, 2015 at 4:49 PM Post #3,788 of 4,858
Please note HDtracks' testing process: http://www.hdtracks.com/quality

While other digital music stores may sell millions of tracks, it's hard to be sure you're getting the quality you expect. With HDtracks, you can be sure any title you purchase is at the advertised quality.

I didn't read this, but this is different than what I recall. At one point, I believe we were told the labels supply the files to the retailer (HDTracks), and they had no way to know if it was really "high definition"...you can have more data in the file and not really have a high resolution file. In fact, I was not so pleased with every HDTracks album I purchased and started to lean to other sellers. I'll read the link when I get home from work, have a soft spot for HDTracks from back in the Chesky vinyl days, will certainly look at their offers more favorably.

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:39 PM Post #3,789 of 4,858
For years, wherever I've contacted HDTracks over the purported "provenance" of an album, I have been supplied with the same boilerplate response that placed blame squarely upon the labels' shoulders by saying that you simply offered "what the labels provided."

I'm pleased to see that competition in this space has resulted in these storefronts, which are so important to music lovers everywhere, reacting by taking an objective look at their own practices...I applaud your initiative on this front.

Jul 17, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #3,791 of 4,858

Pono also has a Provenance thread re the albums it's selling.

I do find it a bit much for HDTracks to just "happen" to drop in on a Pono thread, but, it at least appears that everyone is making a concerted effort to make sourcing more of a priority, so, kudos to all!

Just one quick note on the link HDTracks provided...The graphic of a 24-bit "checker" makes the point, although I'd argue that some of the wording might be a bit questionable.

For instance, when HDTracks states that "Every 24-bit recording is tested to verify that it has 24 active bits", I have to ask, even though I absolutely do personally regard the digital transfer of an analog master tape to be "true" high-res, isn't it true that most analog master tapes are not going to be capable of anything beyond 18-20 true bits? 

The 24/96 just happens to be the container, so to speak, of the cleaner and more dynamic master, no?

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #3,792 of 4,858
Since Pono is all about hi-res (or at least that is the advertising- don't want to get that discussion going again, please) it seems useful for HDTracks to pop up here.  They are mentioned over on the Pono Community site as well.  

Both companies are "given" product, they don't manufacture it themselves.  I know in the past people have stated that advertised HDTracks albums were actually not hi-res, and there is also discussion over at Pono about the same thing with albums they are selling.  Both companies (and other hi-res resellers) need to be sure of what they are getting and then selling.  Just like other companies that sell organic food or 1st press olive oil or anything else, once you lose the faith of your target market, it's hard to get it back.  

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:35 PM Post #3,793 of 4,858
I don't get why a good analog master would have a limit of any digital bits (but then, I still think you get a micro version of the band in the player making the music for you...it's all magic, isn't it?)

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:36 PM Post #3,794 of 4,858
[CONTENTEMBED=/t/629454/pono-neil-youngs-portable-hi-res-music-player/3780#post_11769370 layout=inline]Quote:[/CONTENTEMBED]

Pono also has a Provenance thread re the albums it's selling.

I do find it a bit much for HDTracks to just "happen" to drop in on a Pono thread, but, it at least appears that everyone is making a concerted effort to make sourcing more of a priority, so, kudos to all!

Just one quick note on the link HDTracks provided...The graphic of a 24-bit "checker" makes the point, although I'd argue that some of the wording might be a bit questionable.

For instance, when HDTracks states that "[COLOR=444444]Every 24-bit recording is tested to verify that it has 24 active bits", I have to ask, even though I absolutely do personally regard the digital transfer of an analog master tape to be "true" high-res, isn't it true that most analog master tapes are not going to be capable of anything beyond 18-20 true bits? [/COLOR]

[COLOR=444444]The 24/96 just happens to be the container, so to speak, of the cleaner and more dynamic master, no?[/COLOR]

Jul 17, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #3,795 of 4,858
  Since Pono is all about hi-res (or at least that is the advertising- don't want to get that discussion going again, please) it seems useful for HDTracks to pop up here.  They are mentioned over on the Pono Community site as well.  

Both companies are "given" product, they don't manufacture it themselves.  I know in the past people have stated that advertised HDTracks albums were actually not hi-res, and there is also discussion over at Pono about the same thing with albums they are selling.  Both companies (and other hi-res resellers) need to be sure of what they are getting and then selling.  Just like other companies that sell organic food or 1st press olive oil or anything else, once you lose the faith of your target market, it's hard to get it back.  

Some HDTracks have been discovered to have been upsampled. Others have been proven to be genuine.

However, as always, this has led the internet's empty vessels to trumpet the "well, they're all like that, aren't they?" opinion, and dismiss all of HDTracks (and all other similar services) as a scam.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back