PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Jul 15, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #3,751 of 4,858
Watch/subscribe to Fryes, recurs periodically.
Amazon deal was a bust (but, I don't see them anymore, someone bought them...)

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:14 PM Post #3,753 of 4,858
You haven't gotten yours yet from the automatic upgrade program? I got mine weeks ago.

No one knows anything about what Pono is doing.  The rumor a while back was that the player would stop production in "a while."  

Buy one at Fry's cheap and enjoy.  

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:17 PM Post #3,754 of 4,858
You haven't gotten yours yet from the automatic upgrade program? I got mine weeks ago.

No one knows anything about what Pono is doing.  The rumor a while back was that the player would stop production in "a while."  

Buy one at Fry's cheap and enjoy.  

Lol

Tried buying my backup recently but the damn code didn't work. Maybe you can put in a word with Neil to get me on the upgrade program :wink:

Jul 15, 2015 at 1:29 PM Post #3,756 of 4,858
No, I believe you can mail-order for free as well.  It's just a matter of getting the code to work.

If the code won't enter, I would suggest calling Fry's help desk and seeing if they can enter it for you.  Mine wouldn't work, even when I presented it at the register, but the salesperson just gave it to me at that price.

Jul 15, 2015 at 2:05 PM Post #3,757 of 4,858
I wonder if there will be a Pono 2.0 ..... anybody in the know?

The general idea seems to be that the PonoPlayer was something to launch the concept, and the Pono project will be based around the webstore in future.

But you never know what might happen in future... if Neil Young has the notion to release a new machine or Charles Hansen comes up with a killer improvement.

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:49 PM Post #3,758 of 4,858

The key to getting the Fry's code to work is that you have to call Customer Service, You give them your original code and they give you another code to have the coupon take effect.

I did this with two separate and recent purchases of Pono's at $249 with free ship and no tax ( east coast )

Jul 15, 2015 at 3:52 PM Post #3,759 of 4,858
Just got my Pono from UPS today using the Fry's special. Haven't even opened it and Apple announces a 128gb Ipod.  My intention were to use the Pono as a replacement for all my cds on my home stereo.  You just can't beat the interface of Apple though for music- not sure what I will do now.

Jul 15, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #3,760 of 4,858
I tried to get a second Pono Player from Fry's and the code worked perfectly without any employee help. Unfortunately it said they wouldn' t ship it. Even though the ad says in store and online. There isn't a store any where near me. Had trouble another time trying to get a TV. I may give them one more shot. If they aren't ever going to sell and ship me anything, there is no point cluttering up my inbox with their daily propaganda.

The ipod might have great music handling but sure comes in a distant second for sound quality. Would rather have Pono any day of the week.

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:03 PM Post #3,761 of 4,858
Just got my Pono from UPS today using the Fry's special. Haven't even opened it and Apple announces a 128gb Ipod.  My intention were to use the Pono as a replacement for all my cds on my home stereo.  You just can't beat the interface of Apple though for music- not sure what I will do now.

let me know if you decide to get rid of the Pono

Jul 15, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #3,762 of 4,858
But the Pono holds 64 internally + 128 on a card...ah, but it's not Apple! May sound better, hold more music, but it's NOT APPLE! I get it...

Jul 15, 2015 at 10:55 PM Post #3,763 of 4,858
let me know if you decide to get rid of the Pono

Will do, I will open the player tomorrow and pop in my 128gb sdcard with 11,000 songs and see how it handles it.  If it is smooth and handles things well then I will probably keep it.

But the Pono holds 64 internally + 128 on a card...ah, but it's not Apple! May sound better, hold more music, but it's NOT APPLE! I get it...

The "Apple thing" has nothing to do with it. Itunes is a pain in the rear and I would rather not have to deal with it.  However, the Ipod's music interface for your personal library is better than anything out there. I have yet to see a mid-priced DAP that works correctly with gapless mp3s or aac files and will sort by album artist like the Ipod does. I want a DAP that replaces my cd collection. The Pono's triangular shape, landscape mode and touchscreen makes it a perfect device to sit on top of a stereo. However, I will have to see how the Pono player handles all my music and if the interface is what I need.   

Jul 15, 2015 at 11:21 PM Post #3,764 of 4,858
Will do, I will open the player tomorrow and pop in my 128gb sdcard with 11,000 songs and see how it handles it.  If it is smooth and handles things well then I will probably keep it.

The "Apple thing" has nothing to do with it. Itunes is a pain in the rear and I would rather not have to deal with it.  However, the Ipod's music interface for your personal library is better than anything out there. I have yet to see a mid-priced DAP that works correctly with gapless mp3s or aac files and will sort by album artist like the Ipod does. I want a DAP that replaces my cd collection. The Pono's triangular shape, landscape mode and touchscreen makes it a perfect device to sit on top of a stereo. However, I will have to see how the Pono player handles all my music and if the interface is what I need.   

I'm using a 128gb card with my Pono Player. I found my Pono got slow and pretty useless with the 128gb card full up. Especially in Album View mode. The interface bogged down. Key presses repeating over and over. I took the card out and everything went back to normal and top speed. Re-insert the card and Pono is in confused brick mode.
I knew what was going on. I cleared about 1/2 gb of music off the card to give it some swap space. Yup everything working fine again. I,did,not,have the same issue with 64gb cards. I'm also using a Lexar card that is insanely fast 633x.
So,if,you are,using a 128gb card and have issues, try clearing a little space for it to work in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back