PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Jun 6, 2015 at 6:02 PM Post #3,406 of 4,858
Anyone else experience issues with the volume going to max? The first time happened this morning and the volume was maxed out when I started listening to music and I was able to turn the volume down. The 2nd time happened this afternoon and I could not change the volume and had to turn the unit off to get it working properly. Both times it hurt my ears and scared the Heck out of me.

This is interesting as last night my Pono was at max with the headphone out.

I usually listen to it with the line out so it's always automatically maxed but for the last few nights I've been listening it with the HP output into my Sony MDR 900's so the settings have been at 50% (plenty of power for these HPs) but last night when I turned it on it was up the full 100%.

It seemed odd but I thought I must have accidentally pushed the wrong + button when turning it off the night before.

I'll pay more attention now and report if it happens again.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:25 PM Post #3,407 of 4,858
I do have volume leveling turned on. In both cases I still had the headphone/IEM still plugged in from the last session. The first time I was using my Z7 balanced the 2nd I was using the Z5 balanced.

Jun 6, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #3,408 of 4,858
if I switch from balanced to single ended the volume is usually at 100% for me. Which is where it was set for balanced. For the Line Out I have it set for fixed volume and max out. I just lower the volume on Any Device just to check before putting on Headphones.

Jun 6, 2015 at 7:30 PM Post #3,409 of 4,858
I do have volume leveling turned on. In both cases I still had the headphone/IEM still plugged in from the last session. The first time I was using my Z7 balanced the 2nd I was using the Z5 balanced.

Might be safer to always go to Settings first before listening and make sure the Balanced button is still checked and volume is where you want it before putting the phones on/in.  I keep mine at about 15 minutes after the hour.  Also, you don't mention if you turned the device off and then back on, or just put it to sleep.  If it happened with both phones and both are balanced, it's either user error or there's a problem with the device.  If it were me I'd use the same procedure each time I go to listen, and make sure Balanced is checked before putting the phones on/in (in fact, that's what I do).  I don't use volume leveling, but there could be an issue there.  If it continues even after you get a steady procedure going, contact Pono and open a Help ticket.  

Jun 8, 2015 at 2:53 PM Post #3,413 of 4,858

Does anyone know if the volume leveling noticeably diminishes the dynamic range or worse... clip the music?
I said noticeably because I assume it does the former.

http://wiki.jriver.com/index.php/Volume_Leveling

Cheers!
And great news as it doesn't destroy the music.

I thought this was interesting...

"Volume Leveling also does not alter the audio content of files; all volume adjustment is done using DSP at runtime"

So I guess there is a DSP in the Pono.

I'm finding most of my remastered CDs don't sound as good as the originals thanks to the Pono exposing them with its clarity.

Jun 8, 2015 at 6:45 PM Post #3,416 of 4,858
OK,

I'm trying to get the best price for a balanced cable to the 650's.
I had some cheap quotes a few months ago but I switched service providers and no longer have their names.

Right now I'm asking Blue Jean Cables and they replied with this...

They will need...

"•             A concise description of the application you intend the cable to be used for (audio, video, trigger cable, adapter, etc…). This will help us make the best recommendation for which cable stock we’ll use.

•             The type, as well as the gender, of the required connectors (XLR, RCA, DB25, etc…)

•             A detailed pin to pin wiring scheme , as we will not make any assumptions of how any non-standard cable assembly will be wired. A drawn diagram is typically best, but a connector to connector legend will suffice. (Ex. – Male 3-pin XLR to Male RCA; Pin 1 – shield, Pin 2 – Tip, Pin 3 – float)

•             Cable length that you require."

OK...I know I need the 650's pin on one side and a 3.5 mm male plug on the other but "detailed pin to pin wiring"???
I'm to draw a diagram???

What am I looking for to connect my HD650's to my Pono balanced the most affordable way (no voodoo) and how would I explain it?

Jun 8, 2015 at 8:03 PM Post #3,417 of 4,858
Surf Cables www.surfcables.com made my Pono Cables. Reasonable prices for great sounding cables with no voodoo.

Jun 8, 2015 at 9:01 PM Post #3,418 of 4,858
Surf Cables www.surfcables.com made my Pono Cables. Reasonable prices for great sounding cables with no voodoo.

There is merit in getting your cable from a builder who has already made some for other customers.  That way you're
not the first test case, so to speak.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back