PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Mar 2, 2015 at 4:11 PM Post #2,405 of 4,858
Roster, I don't have any recommendations, not being a Pono owner, but I would also think you should let those who might be able to recommend know whether you'd prefer over ear, on ear or in ear headphones. I would think you'll have lots of options at that price point.

Mar 2, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,406 of 4,858
  Roster, I don't have any recommendations, not being a Pono owner, but I would also think you should let those who might be able to recommend know whether you'd prefer over ear, on ear or in ear headphones. I would think you'll have lots of options at that price point.

Yeah I'm thinking if someone is concerned about how they look IEMs would be the way to go.
However, for someone like me IEMs don't work because my ear canals are too narrow and cannot get a good seal for bass.

Be careful of getting headphones that are too hard to push like the HD650's (might be too big for you anyways)
The Pono doesn't have enough power to make them shine however others are surprisingly satisfied.

My best Cans for the Pono are the Sony MDR-900s but you'd be sporting the Princess Leia look around town.

Mar 2, 2015 at 6:57 PM Post #2,407 of 4,858
Best headphones under $400 for me are the Mr Speakers Mad Dogs, however I cannot comment how well they would be driven from the Pono.  Perhaps in Balanced mode it would get them rocking.

Again though, these are not pretty headphones haha.

The V-Moda M100 is a nice basshead can.  I really like it and it looks good.  HOwever you wont get the best from the PONO with them.

Another option that is ON EAR is the Thinksound On1.  IMO they look pretty good, but the sound great!!

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:02 PM Post #2,408 of 4,858
Hmmm, Koukol--I'm not sure what you mean when you say your ear canals are too narrow to get a good seal for IEMs. Don't the removable tips that most non-custom IEMs use come in different sizes?

I've used Etymotic ER-4Ps for about 12 years, and for the last two years or so have used Comply tips that come in various sizes, so you might try those. They're very soft and pliable foam.

I find that there are some uses for which the IEMs are just indispensable, like flying, but I also like them for use in bed at night if my wife, who's a very light sleeper, is asleep and I don't want to disturb her, but I can't sleep and want to listen to music but don't want to go downstairs.

Mar 2, 2015 at 7:08 PM Post #2,409 of 4,858
Can someone please recommend a pair of headphones that can be used for portable use,on the go, for me to use while I'm outside  walking , with the Pono that can be used in balanced mode? 

How about the OPPO PM-3? Oh, although the PM-3 doesn't have balanced cables. I'm not sure why one would want to use balanced cables while on-the-go while walking out and about in the first place though. The PM-3 is sensitive enough to be driven by an iPhone, so the Pono should be fine on its own in non-balanced mode.

Mar 2, 2015 at 8:12 PM Post #2,411 of 4,858
Sennheiser IE80 would leave money for balanced cable... Slightly bass-head sound but they're adjustable.

Mar 2, 2015 at 9:45 PM Post #2,412 of 4,858
  Hmmm, Koukol--I'm not sure what you mean when you say your ear canals are too narrow to get a good seal for IEMs. Don't the removable tips that most non-custom IEMs use come in different sizes?

I've used Etymotic ER-4Ps for about 12 years, and for the last two years or so have used Comply tips that come in various sizes, so you might try those. They're very soft and pliable foam.

I find that there are some uses for which the IEMs are just indispensable, like flying, but I also like them for use in bed at night if my wife, who's a very light sleeper, is asleep and I don't want to disturb her, but I can't sleep and want to listen to music but don't want to go downstairs.

I had a chance to try a celebrated IEM years ago and couldn't get the bass response reported .
I had my ears cleaned by my doctor 6 months ago and he reported that my ear canals are very narrow so i assumed this is why I cannot use ear-plugs at night as they loosen and fall out within minutes (I've tried every type of noise reducing ear plug

This is also why I think I couldn't  get a good bass seal years ago with IEMs

Mar 3, 2015 at 4:38 AM Post #2,413 of 4,858
  Hey Blindpete, I am wondering the same  thing as you. I would really love to know about the Fidelio X2 and Pono combination. I am 99.999% sure one of the members will chime in and set us straight! :)

Regards,
Eric

I use the Pono with both the Fidelio X1 and X2 and both are an excellent combination (as are the HD580 and HD600 with balanced cable). 

Mar 3, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #2,415 of 4,858

Yeah I'm thinking if someone is concerned about how they look IEMs would be the way to go.
However, for someone like me IEMs don't work because my ear canals are too narrow and cannot get a good seal for bass.

Be careful of getting headphones that are too hard to push like the HD650's (might be too big for you anyways)
The Pono doesn't have enough power to make them shine however others are surprisingly satisfied.

My best Cans for the Pono are the Sony MDR-900s but you'd be sporting the Princess Leia look around town.

Did you try the HD650 in balanced mode with the Pono?  Balanced mode has more power.  And sounds better too.

There are several cable companies selling custom Pono compatible balanced cables for the HD600/HD650.  It would be silly of them to be selling the cables if the Pono was incapable of driving the HD600/HD650. People whose ears I trust say the Pono drives the HD600/HD650 well in balanced mode.  My HD600 does sound lackluster in single-ended mode with the Pono.  I haven't tried balanced with it because I don't have a balanced cable for it. (I don't consider the HD600 good enough to be worth spending the money on a balanced cable for it. I consider the HD600/HD650 to be just very very good mid-fi. Better off putting the money towards better orthos rather than buying balanced cables for the Senns.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back