PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Feb 17, 2015 at 5:54 PM Post #2,326 of 4,858
As far as listening to good quality files to determine a player's or other component's abilities, I definitely agree with that. But, I have found sometimes a bad sounding track can be instructive as well. I've developed a fondness for punk pop (thanks to my 16 year old, who listens to nothing else), have particularly listened to All Time Low quite a bit (Somewhere in Neverland a guilty pleasure that I use with new gear a lot). Now, they are produced with "wall of sound" in mind, bass has no definition, rhythm instruments just congeal into a big mass of sound. I find, with good gear, I can hear the bass (hey, he really is playing notes!), the rhythm guitar can actually be heard to be playing arpeggios, definition/harmonies all come out much better (even my 16 year old likes them better through decent cans, to the detriment of some of my cans that have been liberated). Now, good cans or a good dap won't correct highs that make your ears bleed, but when the sound is compressed/mashed together, you may find good tracks "badly" recorded (I put it in quotes because I think it was very deliberate in All Time Low's case, sure that was the case with the Stones as well) may be better to listen to than they are on regular gear.

Feb 17, 2015 at 6:37 PM Post #2,328 of 4,858
  Ok, I just updated my Pono before reading the warning that the SD card should be taken out before.
I'm concerned now on what this will do.
I took the card out and checked updating again and it said my Pono is up to date (1.0.5)

It is likely they have you do that to prevent it from accidentally erasing or corrupting the files on the SD card.

Feb 17, 2015 at 7:23 PM Post #2,329 of 4,858

Ok, I just updated my Pono before reading the warning that the SD card should be taken out before.
I'm concerned now on what this will do.
I took the card out and checked updating again and it said my Pono is up to date (1.0.5)

It is likely they have you do that to prevent it from accidentally erasing or corrupting the files on the SD card.

Cheers.
They're still there.
I hope they ain't corrupted now.

Feb 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM Post #2,330 of 4,858
Question for those who have updated FW to 1.0.5.

I'm having an issue with playback of large .dsf files unexpectedly stopping.

I loaded the first movement of the SFS recording of Mahler Symphony No. 1 on my player.  It's an 18 minute long piece; the .dsf file is approximately 860 MB.

It sounds AWESOME, but about six minutes in, it just stops.  You can restart it from the beginning, but it won't resume from the point where it stops.

Is this a known issue?  Is there a known fix?

It's a real nuisance, because DSD playback sounds really, really nice (especially in balanced mode).

Feb 18, 2015 at 6:44 PM Post #2,331 of 4,858
A bug they already know about.  Big files do this.  Mine are all about 185mb or smaller, so play fine.  There is discussion about this in the Pono Community pages.

Feb 19, 2015 at 11:07 PM Post #2,332 of 4,858
I started a new thread about pairing a good HP with the Pono or other DAPs.
I put it in the Headphone section (which might have been a mistake)
I was hoping other Pono owners would chime in and have a place where this particular subject could easily be found.
If it should be in this "portable source gear" maybe the moderators can move it.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755688/headphone-results-with-the-pono-or-other-daps

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:00 AM Post #2,333 of 4,858
I just reread the Pono instructions to see if there was a hidden bass & treble EQ to fix the crappy sound I'm getting with my 650's and noticed Pono sells a balanced cable.
Where can it be found?
Has anyone bought one?

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:06 AM Post #2,334 of 4,858
I just reread the Pono instructions to see if there was a hidden bass & treble EQ to fix the crappy sound I'm getting with my 650's and noticed Pono sells a balanced cable.
Where can it be found?
Has anyone bought one?

Customcans.co.uk has them if I remember correctly.

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:50 AM Post #2,335 of 4,858
Where can it be found?
Has anyone bought one?

Crappy sound?

With my FidueA83 using single end the sound was really really good.  When I put a Moon Audio balanced cable on it it got even better.  But crappy sound?  That sounds like some other kind of issue or your 650s don't have good synergy with the Pono for some reason.  

You'd need to post more info about what "kind" of crappy sound you are talking about.  

Feb 21, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #2,336 of 4,858

Crappy sound?

With my FidueA83 using single end the sound was really really good.  When I put a Moon Audio balanced cable on it it got even better.  But crappy sound?  That sounds like some other kind of issue or your 650s don't have good synergy with the Pono for some reason.  

You'd need to post more info about what "kind" of crappy sound you are talking about.  

Seems you are posting elsewhere about this, and another user posted that he liked them, even single-ended.  You are also running the Pono on two different headphones at 100%.  I don't use headphones but that certainly seems extreme.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755688/headphone-results-with-the-pono-or-other-daps#post_11340607

Feb 21, 2015 at 11:16 AM Post #2,337 of 4,858

Crappy sound?

Seems you are posting elsewhere about this, and another user posted that he liked them, even single-ended.  You are also running the Pono on two different headphones at 100%.  I don't use headphones but that certainly seems extreme.  

http://www.head-fi.org/t/755688/headphone-results-with-the-pono-or-other-daps#post_11340607

This thread is all encompassing (which is great) but I was hoping to gather everyone's results with their HPs in one place for easier access.

As I said one of my cans (Sony MDR900) only needed the volume at 50% yet immersed me far better than the 650's and 601's with the Pono. and had a much better bass and clear upper range.
I now believe the people who think the 650's sound "veiled" are not pushing them with enough power.

I also posted some 650/Pono thoughts in the 650 thread.

Feb 21, 2015 at 1:13 PM Post #2,338 of 4,858
  This thread is all encompassing (which is great) but I was hoping to gather everyone's results with their HPs in one place for easier access.

There is a separate Pono Impressions thread.

Feb 21, 2015 at 4:10 PM Post #2,340 of 4,858
You would need to find a Headphone Matchmaker for that, if course!!!! :blush:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back