PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Dec 20, 2014 at 11:52 AM Post #1,741 of 4,858
I just received my LE Foo Fighters Pono this week. So far I've tried it with my Shure SE535LTDs and my Ultrasone Edition 8s. I find the treble a bit harsh, but I'm hoping with time that it will smooth out some. Prior to the Pono, I had been using an iPod classic with a TTVJ Slim amp/dac with the Ultrasones. Loved this combo for my commute. Then I went to the Shures with my iPhone just to cut down on bulk at the expense of some warmth and a little quality. With Pono I was hoping I could get back the quality/power of my iPod/amp setup without the amp. If the Pono mellows a bit, I'll have the perfect commuter head-fi setup...for me.

As for the software on the Mac, it needs a lot of work on the usability and discovery front. They definitely need to separate the hi-res from the normal music files to make hi-res easier to find. Obviously, the hi-res library needs to grow...quickly, to properly showcase the merits of the player, not to mention hi-res itself. These are early days, but if improvements aren't made quickly, there may not be enough of a market to matter. 

I'll check back later once I get more time with the player (gonna try with my LCD-2s) . I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

Dec 20, 2014 at 12:32 PM Post #1,742 of 4,858
  Finally got my Pono and started playing around. Nice device. Sounds pretty good. I'll have a firmer opinion soon.
Question: I got the Patti Smith limited edition version and found the micro SD with the music on it. Unfortunately that disk is not readable on my mac either through the Pono Player or in a card reader, both in pono program and finder. Mac says it want to initialize, which doesn't sound like a good idea. Does anybody know what format that card is? Is there a way to use that space for more music? Or just back it up?
TIA

Did you install the firmware upgrade via the desktop software?  That might be worth trying.

Are you saying you see and play the Patti Smith albums on the player?  

And then it might be worth 1.) plugging in the player to your computer's usb 2.) if Ponoplayer shows up, but the Untitiled SD card doesn't, then eject the pono player, click "done", and unplug usb and then try 3.) replug the player in for a second time and see if both the player and sd card show up.

If that fails, seems like you must have a faulty sd card and I would contact support to get it replaced.

Dec 20, 2014 at 1:22 PM Post #1,743 of 4,858
Support ticket submitted for bad microSD card..

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:24 PM Post #1,744 of 4,858
I contacted Pono and they said that the law requires them to put the full value on the box and not what I paid for it.

If anyone else is curious the early adopter special of free upgrades is not transferable if someone sells it.

That's b*** s**t.

Customs Duties and Value Added Tax are always levied on the price you paid (including shipping) not on some "value" that a company thinks its products are worth. Otherwise a company could cheat, putting a lower "value" on the packaging. Ask the Canadian customs office, they will tell you what the correct base is.
Trust me I'm a tax accountant.

Dec 20, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #1,745 of 4,858

I contacted Pono and they said that the law requires them to put the full value on the box and not what I paid for it.

If anyone else is curious the early adopter special of free upgrades is not transferable if someone sells it.

That's b*** s**t.

Customs Duties and Value Added Tax are always levied on the price you paid (including shipping) not on some "value" that a company thinks its products are worth. Otherwise a company could cheat, putting a lower "value" on the packaging. Ask the Canadian customs office, they will tell you what the correct base is.

Thanks, I'll contact Canada Customs to look into this further.

Dec 21, 2014 at 3:43 AM Post #1,748 of 4,858
That's b*** s**t.

This whole Pono thing just keeps getting better and better!

Dec 21, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #1,749 of 4,858
I recently discovered that HiFiMan makes a set of IEMs--the RE-600 "Songbird"--that terminates in a single TRRS connector. Here's what's interesting: The "extra" channel is used NOT for a microphone, but for "balanced playback": right-/left-/right+/left+: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=157

My question is this: Would these IEMs (or others like them, if any others exist) be compatible with balanced mode playback in Pono? I figure there are three possibilities:

(1) No.

(2) Yes, just plug the TRRS plug directly into the Pono's [line out?] jack.

(3) Yes, but the TRRS plug must be inserted into a TRRS to dual TRS adapter which in turn must be plugged into both of the Pono jacks.

I asked Pono about this, and received this response: "Right now Pono has not come out with approved XLR or balanced mode cables that are compatible with the Pono. If you choose to use the cables that you have mentioned in your previous email, you risk voiding the Pono Warranty."

That's not much of answer, but it is an indication that Pono has balanced-mode headphones of some sort in the works.

Any thoughts on the Songbirds? Would they work with the Pono in balanced mode, with or without an adapter?

Dec 21, 2014 at 6:41 PM Post #1,750 of 4,858
  I recently discovered that HiFiMan makes a set of IEMs--the RE-600 "Songbird"--that terminates in a single TRRS connector. Here's what's interesting: The "extra" channel is used NOT for a microphone, but for "balanced playback": right-/left-/right+/left+: http://www.head-direct.com/Products/?act=detail&id=157

My question is this: Would these IEMs (or others like them, if any others exist) be compatible with balanced mode playback in Pono? I figure there are three possibilities:

---> No.

When you put the player into balanced operating mode it sends the right channel to the "line out" jack and the left channel to the "headphone" jack.

So the Songbird termination won't work out.  

Dec 21, 2014 at 8:23 PM Post #1,751 of 4,858
  When you put the player into balanced operating mode it sends the right channel to the "line out" jack and the left channel to the "headphone" jack.

What kind of sense does that make?  Just to use rca jacks into a desktop or home system?

Dec 22, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #1,752 of 4,858

What if the Songbird termination were plugged into a single-female-TRRS-to-dual-male-TRS adapter (these are marketed as headset/mic breakout cables), and the TRS plugs were in turn plugged into both jacks on the Pono? Would that work?

Dec 22, 2014 at 11:59 AM Post #1,754 of 4,858
  I have a question too.

Can I upload my SACD collection onto Pono?
If yes, how?
What programs would be needed?

You can load anything you like onto Pono using the Pono Music World App.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back