PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Nov 19, 2014 at 2:03 PM Post #1,636 of 4,858
A lot of posters here seem to be neglecting the simple fact that an increasing number of releases are being presented on sites like HDTracks without the dynamic-range compression relative to their retail CD counterpart. The nyquist theory argument, is, for better or worse (depending upon one's view), becoming largely irrelevant, at least in terms of the purpose of these releases and the associated numbers for bit-rate and sampling-depth.  The hi-res release is coming to mean a less fatiguing listen, more enjoyable listen, regardless of any other factors.  That is a good thing, IMO.  

I'm certainly not saying that this is a mass market problem, but, for the subset of this niche market for whom an excessive amount of DRC happens to be a primary concern, those folks can now buy their favorite records, largely without issue (for a premium, obviously).  

Another factor to consider is that while we can sit here all day, experts each and every one, debating graphs and hard numbers, or whether or not an analog recording in a hi-res bucket is true hi-res, for many of us, the current analog to digital re-masters that have been released as hi-res will likely be the best sounding commercially available versions we will ever have access to.

Have there been cases of blatant upsampling?  Of course there have.  I do know, at least in one case,  that the label actually went back and did a re-transfer of the material for John Coltrane's "A Love Supreme." HDTracks comped each person that bought the old one, and did not force them to select the new version in return.  You could choose to buy whatever you wanted.

One last thing....Where was all of this detailed "provenance" information while I was growing up?  I'm sure the instant entitlement brought on by the internet age has nothing to do with this debate.

Nov 19, 2014 at 2:46 PM Post #1,638 of 4,858
  Can we please keep this thread on topic (i.e. Pono)?

I apologize on behalf of no one by myself, but I think it's largely impossible to adequately discuss Pono without raising and examining issues surrounding the hi-res market in general.
There is a separate thread for more detailed first-hand impressions:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/737093/the-ponomusic-ponoplayer-impressions-thread

Nov 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #1,639 of 4,858
I agree that the discussion on Pono as a "portable hi-res music player" (taken from the thread's title) should include discussion on content and the content's marketplace. If you sift through all of the (often) cheesy marketing texts, you'll find one or more indirect shots at HDtrack's colossal mistake with upsampling. It was a mistake that damaged the hi-res music marketplace. Pono has assured us that it won't happen in Pono's World. I think the background on that is a valid part of the story -- it is an issue even Pono thought was worth mentioning.

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:02 PM Post #1,640 of 4,858
  http://parttimeaudiophile.com/2014/11/19/review-pono-music-player-part-1/

Thanks. I thought that was a pretty fair review, for a first impression. I have also noticed a "thinness" in the mid-range (but unlike the author, I find the high-end a tad bit on the harsh side). As somebody mentioned in the comments section, I'd like to see what he thinks about the mid-range after the break-in period Pono has discussed (which they say can be from days to months of use). They promise that the sound will get warmer. I have doubts that the change will be as pronounced as what I hear after the burn-in on film caps, but any improvement will be welcome.

I couldn't help but notice that the reviewer had a Limited Edition Pono #16 out of the (just under) 500, and it appears he got it before I received mine. Did he pledge in the first hours of the first day of the drive, or is Pono putting reviewers ahead of some of the backers who dropped money on the campaign on the first day?

Nov 20, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #1,641 of 4,858
  Thanks. I thought that was a pretty fair review, for a first impression. I have also noticed a "thinness" in the mid-range (but unlike the author, I find the high-end a tad bit on the harsh side). As somebody mentioned in the comments section, I'd like to see what he thinks about the mid-range after the break-in period Pono has discussed (which they say can be from days to months of use). They promise that the sound will get warmer. I have doubts that the change will be as pronounced as what I hear after the burn-in on film caps, but any improvement will be welcome.

I couldn't help but notice that the reviewer had a Limited Edition Pono #16 out of the (just under) 500, and it appears he got it before I received mine. Did he pledge in the first hours of the first day of the drive, or is Pono putting reviewers ahead of some of the backers who dropped money on the campaign on the first day?

Unfortunately, they did not send them out according to limited number or order number.

Nov 20, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #1,642 of 4,858
  Unboxing my Neil Young Signature Pono.

The unit is lighter than I thought.  

It's back in the box and awaiting further reviews, especially Skylab's. I am not sure in what setting I would use it for?  My ten year old is showing a real appreciation for music, both listening and playing. Perhaps a few years from now if he keeps on the path I will make him a present. The problem is, it might be not relevant as a DAP in a few years, hell maybe next year the way technology is happening!

any impressions yet?  comparisons against you're other gear?

Nov 21, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #1,644 of 4,858
"I am not sure in what setting I would use it for?"

Still in the same space. Just listened to my AK240 for 4 hours. Wow moments galore. I support Pono completely however I just can't see the Pono in the same SQ arena.

oh when you said back in the box I thought you were having boot up problems and couldn't try it out.  Have you listen to it or you haven't unwrapped it?

Nov 23, 2014 at 9:09 PM Post #1,646 of 4,858
Still haven't heard any word about shipping my Patti Smith LE player. I wish they would get it together....

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:21 PM Post #1,648 of 4,858

They have a new tool on the website which allows you to check build/order status if you log in with an account.
That may help you out.

Is that on http://ponomusic.force.com or somewhere else?

Nov 24, 2014 at 12:30 PM Post #1,649 of 4,858

They have a new tool on the website which allows you to check build/order status if you log in with an account.
That may help you out.

Found it. Here's the status of my player that was supposed to be delivered last month. 

'Even though your PonoPlayer has not been manufactured yet, please provide a valid shipping address and phone number (callable from within your country) to make sure your player ships as soon as its ready.'

Not manufactured yet!?! It's a month late! There was a phone number in there that was never mine. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back