PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Nov 12, 2014 at 3:17 PM Post #1,561 of 4,858
  The only reason to buy from the Pono music store today, IMO, is to gamble that they do follow through on their promise to upgrade purchased tracks to higher res versions as they become available.  But it is that right now: a gamble.

Not being a backer, I'm willing to wait for new masters to come out, but I will be eager to see how well the Ponostore handles the issue of provenance. It would be nice if info on the mix/mastering were up-front and center on the album pages. As an example, I see a listing for the recent Beethoven cycle by Chailly + Gewandhaus. I would love to get a better mastering of this set (What, Decca?), but I'm not going to accept having to buy a track just to confirm any difference, especially if no info is available on the master itself.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:20 PM Post #1,562 of 4,858
  Correct. So far reports of the hires material is promising.

The 24/192 tracks that shipped with my Pono player are outstanding.  The best versions of those albums I've ever heard.

Nov 12, 2014 at 4:25 PM Post #1,563 of 4,858
The 24/192 tracks that shipped with my Pono player are outstanding.  The best versions of those albums I've ever heard.

That's what I hear. I wouldn't be so quick to sell Pono short as some folks apparently are - they've got an excellent team although their communication could be better. I never judge anything on a Beta version.

Nov 12, 2014 at 9:54 PM Post #1,565 of 4,858
Just based on my humble opinion after listening to Pono player for a week. So I guess it is properly burnt in at this time.

To be frank, it sounds good un-amped and quite enjoyable to listen to. All songs I have are in ALAC format

I did a direct comparison between DX50 and Pono+Vozuge Pure, paird with Heir Audio 8A and Westone 3, they are comparable to my not-so-sensitive ears.

Alone, Pono sounds warm but suffers from narrow sound stage. But with Vozuge, it definitely improved.

So my little conclusion is Pono may be quite a good source device and I believe the potential is there but then again, I have nothing else to compare it with.

So this is my honest impression as I am not that much of an audiophile like most of you are. (So please dont shoot me!)

Nov 12, 2014 at 11:31 PM Post #1,567 of 4,858
Hi Romanrus:

The player inside the bamboo box weights around 880g. The courier package paper box outside is around 400g (UPS).

Total weight is around 1.3kg.

Dimension of the overall package: 24 x 28 x 11 cm

Hope this helps

Nov 13, 2014 at 1:58 AM Post #1,568 of 4,858

I was backer #102 for Pono's Kickstarter campaign, and was surprised when they decided to limit the "upgrades for life" policy. This was a major competitive advantage, without which the hardware needs to be very convincing.

Still waiting for my black Pono Player to ship.

Nov 13, 2014 at 2:27 AM Post #1,569 of 4,858
For those who want to experiment with the balance cabling the sony XBA-Z5 comes ready with a pair of 3.5 mm balance cable, ready to be used with your pono. 

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:28 AM Post #1,571 of 4,858
I got my CSN&Y player in london yesterday. Doesn't reflect on Pono as a company, but UPS screwed me a bit...I litterally saw the delivery guy run up to the door, drop a note and run away. Had to collect it, so did get it in my hands for 5 days more than needed.

Anyway, import costs in to the UK ammounted to £62 which is a bit steep but i guess you cant complain. The packaging is stunning, really does look and feel premium. I just cant bring myself to actually using it, now that i have seen some of these go for over a grand and since ordering I have started a Masters xD

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:47 AM Post #1,572 of 4,858
  I got my CSN&Y player in london yesterday. Doesn't reflect on Pono as a company, but UPS screwed me a bit...I litterally saw the delivery guy run up to the door, drop a note and run away. Had to collect it, so did get it in my hands for 5 days more than needed.

Anyway, import costs in to the UK ammounted to £62 which is a bit steep but i guess you cant complain. The packaging is stunning, really does look and feel premium. I just cant bring myself to actually using it, now that i have seen some of these go for over a grand and since ordering I have started a Masters xD

So you bought it to sell it on?  Classy.

Nov 13, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #1,573 of 4,858
Originally Posted by miceblue

...The website says the files are m4a format, which is either Apple Lossless, or the more probable AAC format (at least 225 kbps AACs).

Could you show where it says that? If so, the files are directly playable on Apple players, which opens up the potential customer base quite a bit. I thought the files were going to be FLAC, which Apple players don't play (with built-in the iTunes software that most people use).

Nov 13, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,574 of 4,858

So you bought it to sell it on?  Classy.

It's a collectible item and there is nothing wrong with selling it for a profit. The moral high ground you think you are standing on while you pass judgement is a figment of your imagination.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back