PONO - Neil Youngs portable hi-res music player
Dec 11, 2014 at 5:11 PM Post #1,697 of 4,858
  Ok, I'm confused now.

I'm poor so discovering the Pono actually cost me $420.00 in the end rather than the $299.00 I was expecting... I'm starting to worry about my finances and I'm flirting with the thought of keeping it sealed to sell.
[...]

Well, what I would do is simply enjoy the player with your current single ended set up.  
Give it a couple of weeks to get used to it, and don't fret.  As with everything, there
is always a path upwards, but this can wait until finances are suitable.

I'm using the player both with balanced and single ended setups.  Some of my headphones (like
the AKG K-702s)  just don't lend themselves to re-wiring.  I'm just not up to dismantling them. And
you know, it is sometimes nice to have the single ended termination; it's universal and convenient.
The single ended 'phones and iems sound really very good just as they are.  IMO.

Dec 11, 2014 at 5:51 PM Post #1,698 of 4,858

Ok, I'm confused now.

I'm poor so discovering the Pono actually cost me $420.00 in the end rather than the $299.00 I was expecting... I'm starting to worry about my finances and I'm flirting with the thought of keeping it sealed to sell.
[...]

Well, what I would do is simply enjoy the player with your current single ended set up.  
Give it a couple of weeks to get used to it, and don't fret.  As with everything, there
is always a path upwards, but this can wait until finances are suitable.

I'm using the player both with balanced and single ended setups.  Some of my headphones (like
the AKG K-702s)  just don't lend themselves to re-wiring.  I'm just not up to dismantling them. And
you know, it is sometimes nice to have the single ended termination; it's universal and convenient.
The single ended 'phones and iems sound really very good just as they are.  IMO.

Thanks,

This brings up a question for me.

What other equipment did all those rave-reviewers use in the video?
If they were using a $1000.00 dollar headphone to promote a $299.00 player...that would piss me off and I'd feel suckered.

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:43 PM Post #1,699 of 4,858

Thanks,

If they were using a $1000.00 dollar headphone to promote a $299.00 player...that would piss me off and I'd feel suckered.

I dont know what they used but I think it makes a lot of sense for review purposes to use best headphones available (no matter the cost).
Because otherwise you can't really judge how good the player really can be (the best SQ possible when you know headphones are not limiting the player performance).
And I think most reviewers take that approach and use best headphone available to them - instead of reviewing the $299 players with the goal of finding best headphones that must be in similar range. 

Dec 11, 2014 at 7:52 PM Post #1,700 of 4,858

Thanks,

I dont know what they used but I think it makes a lot of sense for review purposes to use best headphones available (no matter the cost).
Because otherwise you can't really judge how good the player really can be (the best SQ possible when you know headphones are not limiting the player performance).
And I think most reviewers take that approach and use best headphone available to them - instead of reviewing the $299 players with the goal of finding best headphones that must be in similar range. 

I guess that makes sense.

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:06 PM Post #1,701 of 4,858
I received my (Black) Ponoplayer yesterday - I tried it out with my Sennheiser IE80's and it sounded incredibly bad - Massively too bass heavy; (Though that might be due to my on earphone bass adjustment - haven't had a chance to try it out with Bass turned down yet)  so I moved over to my incredibly cheap ie800 knock offs from China and paired with my  Anne Akiko Meyers Four Seasons go to reference music - Damn, my jaw dropped just like when I first heard my Colorfly C3 - stunning sound quality - I can't wait to pair this bad boy up to a proper amp and speaker set up :) 

Dec 11, 2014 at 8:07 PM Post #1,702 of 4,858
In my opinion when anyone is reviewing a piece of gear, whether it's for publication or for their personal opinion, they should be very careful to only change the piece of gear being examined.  Everything else, including the source material, should be exactly the same and very familiar to the reviewer.  A reviewer should use whatever is their normal headphones and tracks they are very familiar with when testing a DAP if they  really want to describe differences caused by the DAP.  When more than one variable changes, you can't be sure what is causing whatever you might hear.

Dec 11, 2014 at 10:17 PM Post #1,703 of 4,858
  I received my (Black) Ponoplayer yesterday - I tried it out with my Sennheiser IE80's and it sounded incredibly bad - Massively too bass heavy; (Though that might be due to my on earphone bass adjustment - haven't had a chance to try it out with Bass turned down yet)  so I moved over to my incredibly cheap ie800 knock offs from China and paired with my  Anne Akiko Meyers Four Seasons go to reference music - Damn, my jaw dropped just like when I first heard my Colorfly C3 - stunning sound quality - I can't wait to pair this bad boy up to a proper amp and speaker set up :) 

Oh the black is quite nice isn't it?  

Satisfyingly, I've gotten good results from my cheapest to most expensive headphones.  
The player does a good job making even the cheap ones sound good,IMO.

Dec 12, 2014 at 10:29 AM Post #1,704 of 4,858
The first reviews I saw on the Pono were using Sennheiser Momentum Over Ear headphones. Reltively inexpensive (+/- $250US). Current reports say the Pono drives them just fine without any outboard amp.

Dec 12, 2014 at 5:36 PM Post #1,705 of 4,858

Oh the black is quite nice isn't it?  

Satisfyingly, I've gotten good results from my cheapest to most expensive headphones.  
The player does a good job making even the cheap ones sound good,IMO.

Great to hear!

Dec 13, 2014 at 11:47 PM Post #1,706 of 4,858
Sadly I do not think Pono is going to make it,I do not see what they are offering that is not already out there in the market?One can buy a sony walkman player that has the same capacity and the same ability to play FLAC etc for 100 dollars less and or buy a used Astell Kern 100 for 100 dollars less that has even greater capacity etc....there are already numerous sites that offer high Rez music !As i said i do not understand what is being offered here that does not already exist in the market other than Neil Youngs signature?

Please sell me that ak100 for 299$!

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:05 AM Post #1,707 of 4,858
OK,

My Pono player ALMOST got delivered today.
The UPS man wanted $60.00 for Import charges...I live in Canada.

Wasn't Import/duty charges paid when I ordered?
I'm sure it was added in at the time of putting my order in at Kickstarter or maybe Amazon US.

The charges are also calculated on $454.40 when I only paid around $300.00 as an early adopter.

Who do I contact to get to the bottom of this?

Cheers

Customs/Vat was not included in the kickstarter price.

You should get in contact with ups if customs/vat were calculated from a wrong price - they should be based on the 300 you paid. I'd mail ups a copy of your original invoive and ask them why a wrong base was used.

Dec 14, 2014 at 12:19 AM Post #1,708 of 4,858
Apparently the sound quality is quite good and they used a good dac chip.
But does it really have only 6 hours battery life? You would think with that huge size (fir a portable) they should be able to fit a decent battery. And 5 Ohm output impedance? That's weird beqcause you won't be able to use a lot of low impedance in-ears with it, and it's even a bit high for 32 Ohm headphones. Can the built-in amp drive 250 Ohm headphones?

I've currently got a fiio x3 and will perhaps upgrade that in the future, so I'm watching the other portable dacs. But I think the pono is a bit too big to put in your trouser pocket.

Dec 14, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #1,709 of 4,858

I have a pono and can tell you the battery life is around the 9 hr mark. The sound is wonderful. I have tried sure item's chef m500's and b&w p5's and all sound really fantastic. I have also plugged it into my hifi and it sound great through speakers to. My only gripe is the god awlful pono software . It is so bad I just used carbon copy cloner and cloned what I wanted onto my micro sd card. I am loving it. 

Dec 14, 2014 at 4:14 AM Post #1,710 of 4,858
So if I'm listening through Senny HD 600's, I should opt for a balanced cables option? I'm going single ended right now, am not half as happy as how it sounds through my monitors, both in sound and in volume. Maybe cause it needs the balanced cables? Would it still need an amp to drive the cans properly or would the Pono suffice?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back