Poll: Which closed phones to get?
Oct 9, 2009 at 1:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Dogbane

Banned
I love the sound of my HD650s, but the lack of isolation is a big issue. I have decided to get closed phones that are not too big of a step down in SQ.

The three biggest factors are isolation (which eliminates the Denons and the non-studio Audio Technicas), SQ, and comfort. I am only interested in circumaural.

I do not have a fixed price in mind (though I wouldn't want to go much above $400), but just want the best sound I can get from a closed design.

These will be powered by an Onkyo stereo receiver with an Onkyo CD player as a source. I also have a Little Dot MK V if I were to chooose a pair that would benefit from that. (Note, there is some background hiss from my receiver with very low impedance/high efficiency phones.)

My musical tastes are all over the map, but tend towards smooth jazz, new age, and electronica.

I am considering the following:

German Maestro 8300d. Great reputation for SQ. Great isolation. Not too sure about comfort. (I also thought about 8.35d, but I think I would prefer the higher impedance. I ruled out the 450s because someone said they don't isolate well.)

AKG K271. These might be a great choice, as long as they have enough bass.

Ultrasone Pro 780 (or HFI 750). I have zero experience with Ultrasone, but I am intrigued by their claims about imaging.

Beyerdynamic DT770. Great reputation for comfort and isolation. Possibly a bit too bassy? Not sure which model would be best.

I almost added M50s to the list, but tried a pair and found them uncomfortable (though great sounding.)

I am also open to suggestions (please give reasons.)

Hey, how do I get to the "add a poll" option? I thought I would be directed there automatically when I chose "submit"!

Oct 9, 2009 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 9
It´s true the 450 Pro don´t offer much isolation. It´s a bummer because they are superb otherwise. Comfort isn´t brilliant on the 8.35D Monitors it depends on how picky you are.

If you instead of downgrading want to upgrade you could get the Pro 900. Hopefully that onkyo receiver is better amping them them my yamaha receiver though. I haven´t heard the HFI-780 but there is also the Pro 650.

DT 770 are indead very comfortable and isolate well but bassy.

Oct 9, 2009 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 9
Most of my hesitation about Ultrasone stems from the low impedance/high efficiency hiss issue mentioned above. At 75 Ohms, the Pro 650s might be better for me. I normally go for the highest model I can afford in a given line, but that spec might make it worthwhile to try the 650s vs. the 750s or 900s.

Thanks, and keep the suggestions coming, folks!

Oct 9, 2009 at 6:20 PM Post #5 of 9
M-Audio Audiophile Q40, despite my efforts, I can't find all round power performer that matches up. Bass manages to be both tight and bottomless at the highest volumes, midrange is present and highs are smoothed over to avoid fatiguing shrills. They also have a secure fit. Rendered my HD650's of four years completely obsolete.

L3000.gif

Oct 9, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #6 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dogbane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ultrasone Pro 780 (or HFI 750). I have zero experience with Ultrasone, but I am intrigued by their claims about imaging.

Beware! Only buy the Ultrasones if you can try them on first, or if the seller has a return policy. I recently purchased a pair of HFI 780 and the are excruciatingly uncomfortable. Too bright as well. I am told, though, that they will calm down after a burn in of about 300-400 hours. I couldn't keep them on for that long without having my head explode.
confused_face.gif

Oct 20, 2009 at 6:15 PM Post #8 of 9
Quote:

Originally Posted by momomo6789 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
if you think HFI-780s are uncomfortable you have never had HD650s ^_^

I agree. Though I haven't owned the HD650s, I did try them on at the store where I bought the Ultrasones. I certainly wasn't impressed by their comfort. The velvet pads were not very soft (but not filled with the cement-like material that the Ultrasones were), and the fit was not great either.
I also considered and tried on the Beyerdynamic DT770 but the cups were way to big front to back, causing a terrible fit that was both uncomfortable and provided no sound isolation.
My quest for comfortable decent sounding closed-back headphones continues.

Oct 20, 2009 at 8:21 PM Post #9 of 9
Comfort on my 8.300ds is merely tolerable, and isolation is just average, but OMG the sound! Easily the best sound I have ever heard, bar none (especially driven by my Little Dot MK V.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back