Poll: What's more important, WIRE or CONNECTORS?
Oct 8, 2006 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Another point to consider in cables is the way they attach to the connectors, according to some manufacturers they preffer crimping them by high quality tools, rather than to attach them soldering, and introducing another material in the equation, and irregulatities in the process...if you check the Blue Jeans website they offer a few good points regarding that, soldering sometimes if the weakest link in a cable...

Blue Jeans seems like a reasonable company.

Oct 8, 2006 at 6:05 PM Post #18 of 29
I think the mystery man's ideas are debunked by the those who have heard Mikhail's (Singlepower) balanced R10's, since they no longer use the stock plug. Unless of course the XLR's are inherently superior to TRS's, and the only reason balanced headphones sound beter than unbalanced...???
wink.gif

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:44 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnFerrier
Blue Jeans seems like a reasonable company.

I used to do my own cables for years, from Canare starquad, and after trying these, I will never bother again to do so, and honestly fanboyism aside, try any cable from them, and you will see how good they sound, and how well done they are, and you can even return them if you do not like them, while other boutique companies, that charge you an arm and a leg, do not, what else to ask for???

Oct 8, 2006 at 9:50 PM Post #20 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sovkiller
Another point to consider in cables is the way they attach to the connectors, according to some manufacturers they preffer crimping them by high quality tools, rather than to attach them soldering, and introducing another material in the equation, and irregulatities in the process...if you check the Blue Jeans website they offer a few good points regarding that, soldering sometimes if the weakest link in a cable...

x2

Silver solder is 4% silver at the most, right? Sounds like a reasonable point of weakness for a cable

Oct 8, 2006 at 11:58 PM Post #21 of 29
I think a good IC is a combination of all things being of good quality and of similar materials. Being a fan of high quality copper, I start by using the best copper, then look for a copper or brass plug, gold plating is a big plus, but avoid silver or nickel sub plating. Since copper is the key in this cable, find copper based solder, simple but similar.
The finished cable will have a noticeably better sound quality. It’s a matter of the consistency in the materials allowing the signal to flow with fewer adjustments. Hence there is less chance of signal loss due to disruption caused by different materials in use.

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:20 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpig
I think a good IC is a combination of all things being of good quality and of similar materials. Being a fan of high quality copper, I start by using the best copper, then look for a copper or brass plug, gold plating is a big plus, but avoid silver or nickel sub plating. Since copper is the key in this cable, find copper based solder, simple but similar.
The finished cable will have a noticeably better sound quality. It’s a matter of the consistency in the materials allowing the signal to flow with fewer adjustments. Hence there is less chance of signal loss due to disruption caused by different materials in use.

Copper-based solder???
confused.gif

Oct 9, 2006 at 5:45 AM Post #23 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by mcpig
It’s a matter of the consistency in the materials allowing the signal to flow with fewer adjustments. Hence there is less chance of signal loss due to disruption caused by different materials in use.

Yes. Mixing different materials into the path will make it sound jittery with lack of detail. If the path is consistent it will sound smoother with more low-level detail.

Oct 9, 2006 at 11:55 PM Post #25 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by proglife
blink.gif

i'd love to hear PS Audio's feedback on that thread

http://www.psaudio.com/account/forum...0&topicID=3891
Quote:

Wow. Well, there's no argument that soldering a high end power cable directly to the device's power supply is the best way to go - I mean, it's messy, voids the warranty but hey! It'll sure as heck sound a lot better! Personally? I love it! Whacky stuff like this floats my boat. Congrats.

Oct 10, 2006 at 2:04 AM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by Vul Kuolun
You wouldn't if you knew about his soldering abilities.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showt...=191136&page=2

Patrick! redo that soldering!
*Tin the connector and the wire separately first
*Bend the wire around the connector so they make a good connection, then secure in place with solder
*Use pure isopropyl alchohol to clean the flux off afterwards - did you know that WBT flux is a mild conductor and needs to be cleaned off afterwards? Im surprised you dont have more problems.

Get your soldering in order!!

Oct 10, 2006 at 3:02 AM Post #27 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
Patrick! redo that soldering!
*Tin the connector and the wire separately first
*Bend the wire around the connector so they make a good connection, then secure in place with solder
*Use pure isopropyl alchohol to clean the flux off afterwards - did you know that WBT flux is a mild conductor and needs to be cleaned off afterwards? Im surprised you dont have more problems.

Get your soldering in order!!

That was the first thing I tried. You don't know how thin those pins are. I had to melt the plastic and bend the pins further from each other to avoid touching! Surrounding them is impossible.

After 18 hours of "mission impossible" I was happy if there wasn't a short-circuit anywhere... At least I get better sound than before.

Oct 10, 2006 at 4:08 AM Post #28 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by HumanMedia
*Use pure isopropyl alchohol to clean the flux off afterwards - did you know that WBT flux is a mild conductor and needs to be cleaned off afterwards?

I thought flux is there to prevent oxidation? Do I need to heat it before I can remove it?

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/flux
Quote:

a substance used to remove oxides from and prevent further oxidation of fused metal, as in soldering or hot-dip coating.

Oct 10, 2006 at 1:04 PM Post #29 of 29
This could be more about "DIY semiconductor construction" than soldering. Maybe this is why it sounds soooo good.
tongue.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back